First Grow - Coco Coir - Expecting 3Lb+ Each Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Breezey007, Jul 24, 2014.

1. there quite resiliant in veg anyways dont think that hour gonna make too much difference , dont you have a timer as well?? And when i didnt have a ph tester i just brought bottled water from the shop because that says what ph it is on the bottle and as for temperature they was fine in veg think it was a constant 25 but because i use hps for flower and we recently had hot weather temps have reached 36 in my tent!! So ive spent 360 quid on a new inline accoustic fan and a air cooled reflector hopefully that will sort it and just two girls left now :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Sorry mate but I have to laugh!, there's you spending 360 quid on a fan and a hood in the hope it keeps temps down, and there was me spending 450 quid on the entire package expecting no problems and monster yields! lol, ahh I guess you live and learn huh!

Where in the UK are you bro?, I reckon if I started 6 weeks ago I would have had similar problems with the temps too come flowering, we have had some crazy hot days! Oh and yeah I have ordered some timers for the lights, should be here in the next few days thankfully....I wasn't too worried about them before seeing as I was going to veg 24/7 for 4-5 weeks, but now I have given them a little bit of a dark period (well, a little too much lol) I'm thinking they would be a life saver right now, literally! 

Slightly embarrassing to admit this, but the fact that the ph level is on bottled water only occurred to me about 10 minutes after I watered them lol.....even more embarrassing is that I used to work for a water company haha.....(probably explains why I "used to" actually)  :hide: 

Got a feeling we are over the hottest days of the year now bro, so temps should be reasonable for your two girls.....especially with the inline and air cooled hood :) wish I had the coin available to buy quality products from the beginning, it definitely is the best way to go.

3. Its okay haha mine only started off at about 550 but then i just kept buying more and more things haha and the hood its self was only 90 its the fan that was expensive because its 'supposed' to be silent and the midlands pal and on my first grow i didnt ph at all and still pulled 6oz off 3 plants

4. Nice one mate, North East here, apparently some of the best weed comes from your way, shame you don't have a journal, I would copy what you do lol ;) yeah the fans are well pricey, what size is yours?, I went for acoustic ducting to quieten mine down instead of replacing it, hoping it works, and praying I don't need an intake one too, haven't got 90 quid to spare right now lol. 

Feeling good at the minute thank f*ck lol, watered them this morning, switched the MH light up to 600w, seems to be okay as far as temperature, beginning to think I could possibly grow plants without murdering them! lol  :metal:

5. Depends on who you get it off haha and ill be starting a journal at the end of the month pal just ordered 5 kings kush seed y'day hoping with the heat issues sorted i can get a good crop, as for the fan its a 6 incher rated at 400 m3/h so if thats better than the one ive got atm ill use it for the exhaust and use my original fan for lighting and yeah im also using accoustic ducting works better than expected :) hope you dont murder them lol with a 600w you should see them really take off

6. Cheers mate, looking forward to following the ride with the KK's, with the right tools to hand I expect to see good things happening! ;) 

I knock the shit out of my fan for being mega loud, but I guess it does have some power,rated at 530 m3/hour, might explain why it sounds so ridiculous lol.....I think once my light timers, acoustic ducting, and fan speed controller arrive, I will be a lot happier......would be nice to become one of these growers that can leave the house for a day at a time without stressing about them....so far I haven't given them 4 hour peace since seed lol, guess I shouldn't be too surprised if they grow up to hate me just like my teenagers lol. 

7. Yeah i cant wait to pop them read some good reviews about them i think my hermies could of been bad genetics as well as the heat because ive checked the seed bank for details on breeder and there 'female seeds' and ive read quite a few reviews about them having unstable genetics so might steer clear of them, as for the fan it just one of those things really lol i made my own silent fan for about 30 quid by taping all electrics on fan up and placing inside a cardboard box and filling with acoustic foam, then i built a 12mm mdf box around it and filled that with loft insulation and it made a huge difference! And yeah i started out with a timer so wasnt too pedantic about staying with them haha i used to look at mine every half hour or so when i first started :L was so facinated by it

8. Being a total beginner I was under the impression that feminized seeds meant 100% female lol, didn't know shit about the whole hermie risk until I started reading stories of plants turning male half way through because of genetics or light leaks etc.....whole lot more to this growing lark than planting a seed and keeping it watered huh! haha :) 

Done a similar thing with my fan for the moment, built an mdf box, but filled the gaps with old blankets lol....bit ghetto but it has reduced the noise a hell of a lot....still not quite there though, hoping the acoustic ducting makes all the difference....thought it was due tomorrow but just checked and it says anywhere between Wednesday and next Monday, not impressed. 

9. The fem seeds thing is crazy. Once you get a pheno you want, grow a mama and clone, clone, clone.

10. Quick update - without light timers at present, so having to stay awake until 3-4am to turn lights back on for the meantime.....wasn't happy about it at first, but 2nd day of giving them a dark period and the 1st leaves are growing rapidly! :) 

So now that I'm back on track, and all set to achieve the aim of 3lbs per plant, I feel it only fair to share my vast wisdom and wealth of growing expertise with some of you slightly less capable growers.....here are the tricks to achieving huge plants: 

1. Throw away your ph meters.....or if you want to follow my exact method, buy a crappy Chinese one that is probably wholly inaccurate anyway. 

2. Allow humidity to reach 99% regularly when propagating.....then take the lid off and reduce it to 40-45%. 

3. Transplant too early (this step is vital).

4. Use a Windowlene spray bottle to mist plants with Ionic root formula. 

5. Start off with a 24/7 light schedule, then alternate to 20/4....make sure your wife/girlfriend/life partner screws this up immediately, giving them a few extra hours shortly after lights go back on. 

6. Sing to them regularly....anything by the Stereophonics or The Beatles is golden. 

I will add more helpful hints and specialized growers tricks of the trade over the coming weeks, so stay tuned! ;) 

Oh, and the one plant that I was sure wasn't going to make it is looking like it might just pull through after all!, she is trying her hardest bless her, almost got her 1st leaves formed....keep her in your prayers please blades! 

Peace out guys - Breezey  :smoking:

11. This is no doubt the correct thing to do mate, but right now I will be more than happy if I can just get my ladies across the finishing line first time around lol......plan on taking cuttings of course, but still slightly clueless when it comes to cloning.....shall be educating myself along the way, and relying on people like your good self to keep me from messing up too badly! :) 

12. Nice one mate, welcome aboard!....it will be something truly special! 

Thinking about recruiting a team of Chinese women to help with the harvesting actually, it will take me weeks to do it alone, and I did read that it's a lot easier for people with smaller hands :) 

Plus the more I have working for me, the less are producing shit quality growing products that beginners like me purchase, so it's a win win situation! lol ;) 

13. Hey guys :) 

Figured I would add some pics of the ladies since I transplanted to the 5 litre pots, really glad I did it when I did now, the extra support from the coco makes them look a lot less flimsy, so with the fan blowing nearby and the additional stability from the medium, my babies will soon be strong and sturdy enough to hold the weight of 3lbs worth of buds without even breaking a sweat!  :metal: 

Gave them another watering this morning, wasn't planning on it but the coco was pretty much bone dry, even though I watered until I saw quite a bit of runoff yesterday....I know over watering is one of the most common rookie mistakes commonly made, but when the girls are thirsty you have to give them a drink right?. 

The Big Bang 2 that arrived later than the others is currently in the propagator, ready to join her sisters a week later than planned. I know White Rhino has a longer than average flowering period, not sure about Ice Breaker or Big Bang however, so I guess I will have to hope the stars align and everything falls into place.....

The sad news is that I have all but given up hope on the sickly girl that never fully formed her 1st set of leaves....I was feeling a little optimistic yesterday, seemed to be giving it her best, but today she appears to have given up hope :( The table I have the other plants on at present perfectly fits 7 plants and gives good light coverage, so I guess once the BB2 is ready to join the others I will reluctantly have to admit I lost one along the way....keeping my fingers crossed it is the only one! 

Apologies for the picture quality peeps, using the laptops webcam and currently nursing a broken collar bone, damn hard to get the camera angle right. 

Peace - Breezey  :bongin:

14. The little ones :)  picture1879.jpg picture1888.jpg

15. #56 tallglassesofmilk, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    If you use the cloning gel hormone stuff it makes them root faster I've read and you usually are more successful (90% take root instead of 50%). But what you gotta do is this...

Once your plants are big enough that you can take a cutting about 4 nodes high, find a couple shoots that you want to take for clones. Clean your scissors well before with alcohol and rinse with some water. Get a few cups (plastic and waxy both work fine- you can cut them easilly when transplanting so no extra stress on the roots). Fill a cup up with water or very low strength veg nute solution.

Go ahead and cut the shoots off that you want to keep, take off the bottom set of leaves and stick it directly into water. No wait time if possible (this is so you don't get a bubble in the stem/embolism).

This part depends on what you want to use for your "medium" that the roots will start in. If I had the money I'd use rockwool that I've soaked in ph'd water and soaked with superthrive and low strength veg nutes (1ml veg solution per gallon or something like that).

Another good way to go is rapid rooters that are "inoculated" already with mychorrizae fungus. I believe you soak these first as well, not sure if you need to pH but I'd think not if they are filled with good stuff.

What I've been doing is probably considered the poor mans route if there is one. I take a rep solo cup, pack it tight with lightly moistened (low strength veg solution as well) coco and use this instead.

Okay so now you want to grab a cutting/clone that you've had sitting in water... Scrape the outside green skin off the bottom inch of the cutting til their is mostly white exposed. You can use a razor blade your sharp ass scissors if you have some. Do it light enough that you leave most of the structure intact. Take your scissors and make a 45 degree cut on the end of the stem and dip that straight into your clone solution. Get as much on there as you can and then stick it in the "medium" you chose. Oh yeah... The rock wool cubes have a hole in the center. Don't use that as you hole to stick the clone into, always stick it in a new hole to the side of the center hole. Otherwise it won't hold real tight.

16. Now that you have the clones you just give em 24 hour light or 20/4 you know anything higher than 16 light per day and put a bag over the cups for a few days if you use cups. If you use rock wool or rapid rooter plugs you'll need a clone tray and dome which is the same as a bag basically. And spray some fresh water in the bag or on the inside of the clone dome to keep the humidity as high as possible. "Burp" them once a day by opening the bag or clone dome. There you have it. Yer ready for action .

17. Wow!, cheers man! I have been reading lots about cloning today and to be honest not much of it was sinking in....the way you just explained it I kinda feel confident I can do this! :) 

With the plants I have going now, I bought a root it propagation kit, that came with 24 sponge plugs (should have really gone for the expanding coco ones really given that I'm growing in coco lol) they should be suitable for clones yep?. As you said with the rockwool, they have pre made holes too, so if I just make my own and follow your instructions to the letter I shouldn't go too far wrong?. 

And I just realised I got some rooting gel with the Ionic greenfuse nutes too....damn, if I can get 7 or 8 clones growing before I switch to flowering that will shave a few weeks off my next harvest time and save me buying more seeds....happy daze! :) 

18. So a funny thing happened today, or at least it's funny now, wasn't so much at the time! lol 

I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home when it suits me, and obviously right now with my first grow underway, it suits me perfectly! I spent most of the morning in the same room as my grow, catching up on paperwork and playing them a little Mumford & Sons. The BB2 arriving a week later meant that It's still in the propagator, which I did have at the bottom of the tent, sort of under the table the other plants are on. Temps seemed okay, but the humidity kept shooting straight up to 99%, so I was having to keep burping it every 10 minutes. 

Eventually I decided that seeing as the sun was shining, I might as well go sit outside in my back yard to work, and take the BB2 in the Propagator down with me, let it soak up some natural light, and keep the RH lower for a bit. 

I have a 10ft wall that stretches all the way around my back yard, so naturally wasn't worried at all, besides it's very rare to see or hear anybody remotely nearby, so with propagator and beer in hand, I opened the back door. 

No sooner did I open the door, than 2 police officers opened my back gate! (been meaning to fix the lock forever, just never go around to it)....naturally wasn't feeling good at this point.....standing there holding my latest addition to the family, and also then realising that with all the windows open upstairs you can hear the exhaust fan blowing away....

Then one of them asked me how to get to a street just up the road from me.....turns out they were community support officers, freshly joined up, and just getting to know the area.....Told them the directions immediately of course, but then they started chatting about what the town is like, the weather, all sorts of shit....and all the time I'm stood there praying they didn't ask what I was growing, because not a single god damn other possibility was entering my head! lol.....thankfully they didn't.

Lived here for a number of years now, and not once in the countless amounts of times I have walked out of that door have I seen a cop.....the one time I walk out holding one of my babies, and two of them turn up for a chat! I have to be either the luckiest or the unluckiest guy in the UK, depending which way you look at it I guess.....But for a good while there I was fairly certain this grow journal would be ending prematurely!  :cry: 

I can laugh about it now, and share it with you guys to laugh at my misfortune too......but ffs, stay safe blades!, they turn up when you least expect it!  :eek:

19. Id of had a heart attack! Haha