First Grow - Coco Coir - Expecting 3Lb+ Each Plant

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Breezey007, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Damn mate, seems more than a little bit unfair to end up with just the one...

If I try to see the positive, I guess you will have more than enough seeds for the next adventure, but truthfully I think I will always opt for the fem seeds from the outset.....I ordered 8, and all are female....might not work that well every time, but I don't think I could deal with the stress of growing a dozen plants only to find 10 of them have balls....the few quid extra for feminized seems well worth it to me! 

Then again you know what you are doing with regards to weeding out the males anyway, so a multitude of seeds to start with is always a good thing......still keeping my fingers crossed for the last remaining lady to produce the good stuff though!. ;)

2. Thanks for the kind words! :)

One good thing is that (hopefully) I won't have to do this male/female thing again, since I'll be starting from clones from now on. So maybe it was "only" a 4-month setback. And I think I'll still be able to make some cannabutters and other edibles with the seeded plants, so hopefully those won't be a complete waste.

3. Decided to make Mondays the update day of the week, seems to make sense seeing as not only is it the first day of the week, but also the least likely I will be drunk, therefore coherency is likely to prevail. :)

Although this being said, I would like to start this update with......Fuckity fuck shit goddamn!! 

This past week has been not only a personal nightmare, but it would appear that my ladies have picked up on my stress levels and grown accordingly. The taller girls that I provided extra support to via the poorly constructed scrog have repaid me by curling the tips of their leaves in angles that an Olympic gymnast would be impressed by, and although I would love to believe that the discolouration on the leaves is simply a strain trait, I have trouble buying this given that five of them are White Rhino, and 4 are afflicted......All under the same lights, same humidity, same nute schedule, so I'm leaning towards the idea that they despise the net??. 

Humidity is still not ideal, even with the humidifier it's still hovering around 60% lights on, up to 78% lights off.....just purchased an entire grow kit on ebay from an ex grower, complete with a shit load of unused nutes, dehumidifier, fans, tent, and an additional 2 x 400w hps in cooltubes. Going to add one as a vertical to begin with and see how much it increases temps, just to give the lower buds a chance to thrive, and the extra humidifier is getting thrown in as well to try and knock the RH below 50% finally.  

I'm figuring that my 1 week of gradually reducing light for flowering might count somewhat towards my eventual flowering time?. If so, then at least 3 should be ready in 3 weeks time, with the Rhino's possibly taking a week or so longer. 

I must be honest, it would appear that my initial expectations of 3lbs per plant are likely to become very much unmet.....in fact, 3lb overall right now seems a long shot.... ;) 

But....if I can get them all over the finishing line, and achieve a reasonable amount, I'm still one happy camper! :) 

Peace GC - Breezey  :bongin:

4. Sorry you've had such a tough week, bro. Has the twisting of the leaves gotten any better since yesterday?

Lots of people say that it's common for the leaves to discolor and turn yellow once flowering starts. Do you think there's a chance that's what's happening with your plants?

That sucks that your humidity is so bad over there. Over here we have the heaters turned on because it's cold, so the humidity is very low here this time of year.

As long as we get SOMETHING out of our first run, we should be happy with that, right? :) Hopefully our 2nd tries will be much more successful.

5. Thanks bro :) just typed a long ass response that GC felt the need to delete lol, so I'll start again...

The tallest 4 needed the additional support, hence the use of the scrog net....but apparently they hate it. Thing is all 8 have had the same feeds, light schedule etc etc since day one, and given the fact I'm running 3 different strains, it seems obvious that the only thing that could have caused this is the net....getting worse by the day man, and I have no idea how to fix it. :(

Humidity is ridiculous over here mate, always 80+....my dehumidifier is currently keeping it below 58%, so I'm happy, but it's an ongoing battle! picking up my ebay purchase tomorrow and first thing happening is the extra dehumidifier is going in there!

The other 4 growing minus the net are doing perfectly. Hard to believe I used to think they were the ones that would struggle lol. Still hoping for a reasonable harvest, but damn right I have learned a few things along the way this time, so our next attempts should be infinitely more productive! :hello:

6. Yeah, it's amazing how it's difficult to guess early on which plants will be successful, and which ones won't. My female that I used to call the "runt" ended up to have the biggest cola. But she was the only one who was unpollinated, so maybe that had something to do with it.

How did the new dehumidifier end up working? Are the humidity levels more stable now? Did it add too much heat to the area?

7. Seems to be a bit of a trade off really mate. Temps have gone up a couple degrees using two dehumidifiers, but it has at least knocked the RH down to around 50%. Not ideal still, but I think it's as good as it's going to get.....sure as hell not buying a third one! lol :) 

8. Update time - spent most of this week stressed to death about the health of the girls. The taller 4 under the scrog net have developed a considerable amount of leaf discoloration, as well as a large number of the upper leaves becoming extremely brittle with an eagle claw effect going on....leaf tips curling up, down, all over the place! :( 

Initially I suspected nute burn, but then discounted that as they all receive the same feeding regime and the other 4 are fine.....then I figured it could possibly be heat stress, and so raised the light, although in hindsight this too seems unlikely, given that the lights are in cool tubes, and that some of the worst affected areas are the ones that were furthest from the light anyway....so after a few days of religiously reading every piece of info I could find relating to possible causes and still getting no further forward, I decided all I can do is try and monitor the situation daily, and hope they improve in the next few weeks, or at least don't worsen. 

So then, still pissed about the leaf situation, I go to water the girls yesterday morning, and out of the corner of my eye notice 2 microscopic bugs wriggling at the base of one of the pots! Naturally shitting myself at this point, I destroyed them immediately, then lifted the pot up, only to discover a load more underneath!.....I eradicated these too, then, fearing the worst, hit google to try and figure out wtf these little bastards are that are trying to destroy my crop! 

After another painstaking day of reading every insect/bug/larvae related weed post ever written, I'm happy to report that they are Springtails....for those that have no clue what these are (like myself 24 hours ago), they are actually beneficial organisms that live under the soil/coco, thriving in warm, moist conditions, existing on a diet of decaying plant matter and dead roots. 

Words can't express how happy I was to read this shit!, not least because I was then also prepared for hundreds of them to jump into the air when I watered the girls, which they did immediately......reckon I would have had a heart attack if this had been the first point I I discovered them! 

So apparently not only is their existence a sign of a healthy root system, but they also assist the plant along the way by removing any dead roots, carrying around mycorrhizal spores and helping control against fungal diseases, as well as helping prevent the dreaded damping off!....If I can get to harvest with the only present bugs being nice ones and no more leaves trying to roll themselves into a spliff then a few dozen friendly organisms jumping down my throat each feeding time is a price I'm more than willing to pay! :)

Happy growing peeps!, peace out  :smoke:

9. #189 tallglassesofmilk, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Are u using roots organic coco? I have springtails too homie. Its funny cuz many have mentioned that roots organic brand does generally carry eggs even in the brick form. Pretty cool seeing as this is most likely done on purpose by roots organic.

They discoloration and curling and browning stuff happens from mag/calcium being off due to lack of one of them or overabundance of one. This could be caused by pH and seems to be the main factor. Are you checking pH every watering?

Ironhead is the one who knows about that stuff.. I'm trying to figure it out myself currently. Basically, with coco, you want a pH range (instead of a constant ph like 6.0 for example) so that the plant can uptake nutrients as it needs them. The thing that's working for me is 1ml cal mag per gallon one feed, then 2ml the next, followed by 1ml again, then 2ml and so on..

10. And now that I know you have em I feel even better about it bro! :) 

Nah I'm using Canna pro + mate, but it is organic too, and I was wondering if they did actually add them into the mix intentionally?.....Couldn't see anything indicating that on their website, but otherwise I have no clue how they could have suddenly appeared....indoor grow in an upstairs room with a sealed tent, no pets or anyone other than me in that room, and being my first grow everything was new, and  I haven't brought any clones in or anything like that, so if it's not already in the coco I'm at a loss bro...

I think you could be spot on with the ph range too....I've always aimed for the lower end of the scale, around 5.5, 5.6.....this probably caused the lockout?.....just got some cal mag the other day, so I added 1ml per gallon yesterday, and now I'll go with 2ml tomorrow, cheers man :) reckon I should up the ph to around 5.8 then too yeah?.

11. Agreed, I think they most definitely add them intentionally.

I think 5.8-6.2 is sort of the swing. So with the 2ml calmag you should have it down around 5.6-5.7 and with the 1ml more like 6 so that when added, the pH will be around 5.8-6.2 (since your cation bank already contains leftover available nutrient salts)

12. Cheers bro :) one other thing if I may.....I reckon I have around 3.5 weeks before harvest, been reading many different techniques as to when to flush, how many times to flush, when to stop feeding, dark time before the chop..etc etc.....what's your method for the last few weeks?  

13. Well, I didn't get to flush proper on these flowers I just chopped.

If I could have, I would have watered with florakleen til about 10% runoff or so, 2 weeks before harvest. Following this, I would stick with ph'ed RO water the final two weeks. I only got thru about three or four days of watering with plain RO water before I had to harvest, due to not owning the property I live on, LOL.

I 100% believe their is some benefit to leaving the plant in complete darkness after flushing for two weeks. I believe three days should add some potency/weight from the plant using every last bit of energy it has stored/available. I could be wrong but it seemed to have a nice effect on the smell and size of the buds on my thin mint x gdp plant.

14. 3lbs per plant??LOL :bolt:  how many watts is this grow? :metal:  :metal:

15. LOL he's a big sarcasm fan.

16. Yeah I was reading about your need for the early harvest mate, that sucks! :( I'm in kind of the same boat, I rent my house, so if there was any maintenance required I would be screwed too.....been praying that doesn't happen since the day the tent arrived lol, it would be just my luck!. 

Well I think I might just have to steal your planned harvesting regime bro, sounds sweet to me....and the 3 day dark time makes sense too....if the nugs are getting bigger without my electricity bill doing the same it's always gonna be a good thing! lol 

17. It was supposed to be a 1200 watt grow migz, but I only realized last week that I had cranked the ballasts up to the "super lumens" option on day one lol.....not sure how many that makes it, but safe to say I'll be blowing the 3lb per plant target right outta the water! :) 

If there are any GC moderators kicking about, can you please update the title of my journal to "Breezeys beginners guide to 6lb trees!" ....might be a good idea to make it a sticky too while your at it, you know, for all the noobies. ;) 

18. Nice, I'm stoked to see how it all comes out!

19. Me too mate, me too! Not so much about the trimming though lol, if it took you 5 1/2 hours to do yours then I guessing I should be done by mid March. 

20. View attachment 1603192 View attachment 1603193 picture2013.jpg picture2018.jpg picture2014.jpg

Just realised it has been some time since I posted any pics of the girls progress, and seeing as how I get quite possibly more pleasure than I should from checking out the snaps you guys post, it only seems fair I stick a few up on occasion.....

Although fuck knows how you all manage to take quality shots!? I figured with lights off would be better, so tried that, way too dark.....one light on, still not great.....both lights on, and we are too bright!! wtf??!!  :confused: 

Anyways, apologies once again for the quality, but I suppose at least it may be obvious how much difference in size there is between the 4 under the net and the other 4.....(I say net, not scrog net, because the way I have rigged that shit up it would be slanderous to use the term scrog......at best it's a minimal support net......what makes this worse is that in my employment I quite often have to construct the safety netting 200ft in the air that has to be capable of supporting a grown mans weight should a scaffolder or roofer decided to take a tumble......and here I am fucking up a m2 bit of net that was only required to support a few stems...... :hide: 

Not that it will be apparent due to the shit pics, but some of the main colas on the taller ladies are huge!......I'm guesstimating that provided I can fix the cal/mag issues and keep em happy over the next few weeks, at least 6 of them should weigh in at an oz each dry! :)

Next grow is definitely gonna be all one strain though.....just haven't decided which strain as yet......suggestions are most welcome! 

Peace out GC!  :smoke: