Stealth Grow Box Size

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Tenacious Trichomes, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Haha I totally agree with you!! I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for. With that in mind, how would you hook something like that up? Remember I'm a complete noob when it comes to diy...(growing for dummies)

2. hehe.. umm. I'd hook it up kinda like how I did my armoire.

I have the filter hanging above the light, attached to the fan. The ducting turns to the back and blows out of a vent I installed. You can do it the other way so the fan is before the filter..but you have to build a sort of separate area or hang the filter on the outside.

3. Going shopping in the morning... Getting list organized now!!
    Any recommendations on strain? I was looking at northern lights blue... Feminized

4. Ps looking for pics of your armoire in your thread.... Leading the blind lol

5. there's a shot of it in the last few pages of the thread.

northern lights is always a solid strain :)

6. I must be blind lol... Got to pg 33.... must be too late and my eyes are tired

7. For the filter did you DIY? The wolf man zen type? Thoughts on performance?

8. #48 Bongsauce, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    I think it's on page 35, you can always flip through my photo albums too.

no for the filter I used a premade 4"x16" then that attaches to a 90degree bend and there's 6" booster fan attached to that. I'll upgrade to a panasonic 4" whisper fan after I harvest that cab.

I use the wolfman zen filter on all my smaller projects though...It's a great filter...I've filtered plenty of grows with them and they work really well.
    I think a single one could filter about 75 watts..more then that and multiples should be used..or a larger filter.

9. So you figure for my 260 watt cfl grow I would need approx 3 of those homemade filters? I still can't seem to find the pic of your exhaust and carbon filter...or maybe I'm not sure what I'm looking for...

I won't need the filter for a few weeks so I can get that sorted out in the next week or so. But the exhaust I def need to get figured out...in on a budget to get rolling but a few weeks I can swap out fans and such as needed to better growing. Thoughts for simple yet effective exhaust to get started?

10. Bongsauce, my box frame is done and I will get pics up shortly. I would love your recommendation on an efficient exhaust and filter setup for my box size...and costs as I may need to save some. I will go cheap and use PC fans for air movement inside tho

11. I can't remember your budget too well...but for that sized box I'd go with a 4" fan filter setup..hanging the filter and fan above the light. If you have the skills you could build a carbon tray similar to my vert cab, using multiple pc fans to exhaust...or one strong fan. The 'zen' filters work great but I think you'd need like 3 but that's kind of a pain to set up. I have 3 running side by side in my 64w led cab...but it was a pain to engineer.

12. I'm looking at a soler and paleau 100 or 125 fan and will prolly buy the filter too. Smell is my main concern so I may as well do it right. Any thought on best filter for one of these fans?

13. I always recommend getting the larger sized filter..is that fan a 4"? if so get a 4" filter that's like 20" long (if you can fit it) rather then a 4" x 12" .. A longer filter works better, and lasts longer. I've used phresh filters and can filters ..also an elf filter once..all have worked great.

14. I'm looking at the TD-100x which is 135/100 CFM fan. I assume with the 4"x12" phresh filter I should be good for exhaust. How do you find out how many CFM i need for the grow. And I know that the CFM drop when filter is attached, how do,I find that number too? Thanks ahead of time

15. the filter will have a cfm rating as well...just make sure the filter rating is the same or higher, and the pressure shouldn't drop. looking...the 4" x 12" has a 200cfm rating..that should be good. The 4x8" is only 150 cfm...definitely go with the 12" then...the 4x8 matches your fan rating, but as I said a longer filter will filter better, restrict less, and last longer...you basically get 50% more filter surface area for only $7 more. That's a great deal.

From what I've read, those s&p fans are supposed be much quieter then an inline...good choice. I've seen them used alot in micro grows.

16. The s&p is rated for 135/100 fan. By adding a 200 cfm to the high setting would that not make the fan run around 100 cfm? So would that make it too small for the filter?

17. #57 Bongsauce, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    no the rating on the filter is the max it can handle and still effectively filter the air. The slower the air moves through the filter, the better it will work.

"By adding a 200 cfm to the high setting"   <-not sure what you mean.  did I cover it?

*oh adding a 200 cfm filter when the fan is on high..gotcha.

18. Haha yup, I was rambling a bit lol. Yeah the high setting 135 CFM and adding the 200 cfm filter would be a god setup then... I figured with the restriction the 135 cfm (high setting would be reduced to about 100 cfl with the filter on. Which is more than enough for my 9 cu ft box. Which needs min 50 cfm ventilation. I could he away with the 4x8 filter tho at 150cfm if money I tight?

19. I don't know if it would be a 'god setup' but it would be pretty good. ;)   

You could get away with the 4" 8" for sure...it's rated higher then the 'high' setting on the fan @ 135. I was just saying for $7 that's a nice upgrade. (filters only last so long...$7 now is better then another 100 for a new filter in 6 months or so)

Just to make sure we're clear... If you hook up that 4"x8" rated @ 150cfm...to your fan on high setting @ 135cfm...your airflow will still be 135cfm. The filter won't reduce airflow to 100, I'm not sure where you're getting that.  

IF you hooked up your fan, on high setting @ 135cfm...to a smaller filter rated at only 100cfm, then your total airflow would get reduced to ~100cfm(cuz that's the max cfm the filter will allow through it) and the filter would barely work because the air would be getting pushed through so fast that it wouldn't have time to filter. and the fan would be overworked and get louder too. :smoking:

20. Oh ok!! I must have misread somewhere that with a filter on you reduce efficiency by about 15%. My bad. I totally see where you're coming from with the bigger filter for only $7 more. And it will prolly last a while too. I will probably go with the 4"x12" filter then. How long would those filters typically last in a grow my size?