Can One believe And Not Exist?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Boats And Hoes, Jul 22, 2014.

1. So you're saying that claiming the preeminence of mind, is somehow different than presupposing your own answer?

Who spoke of the preeminence of mind?

3. i did. I brought it up because it seems related and relevant.

4. #44 clevername, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
    ...which i suppose brings me back to my point: is existence purely physical? Or is existence purely non-physical? Or is it always a combination of both?

If the mind exists in some extra-physical realm, why does it need the physical body?

And if someone who insists (believes) that the non-physical realm continues, and that stuff like "mind" exists despite the death of a body... then how do we define "exist?"

Can something non-physical exist, without a physical body?

And if something non-physical and intangible can exist... then what is that? And doesn't that change the definition  connotation/interpretation of "exist" quite significantly?

Can a non-physical notion of a disembodied mind be rationally said to "exist?"

And what if the most astonishing part of all this, is that we indeed do Not exist (as we believe we do), and that we are literally "dreams," and not actually real at all... but still somehow capable of "belief?"

What if.

5. #45 Account_Banned283, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

The original quotation, ''I think, therefore I am.'' Is not necessarily inferring that the subject is ''alive'', in the sense that we refer to the word, but that the subject thinks, and that the subject's thoughts must be referred back to something that necessarily is, extending the end of the phrase to anything more than ''I am.'' would subject it to the aim of reasonable critique, and it is for this reason that Descartes phrased the notion in the exact manner that he did, because one can be said to either be ''dead'', ''alive'', or ''dreaming'', or in any other state or condition that you wish to include them in, but the same ''one'' necessarily ''is'', regardless of whatever terms are latterly applied.

6. #46 Tokesmith, Jul 22, 2014
    To believe you exist you would have to exist. But existence doesn't require belief in itself.

"I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken" -Talladega nights

Exactly what I was going to say lol.

8. This is the ultimate gambit of hoes, if you haven't already noticed.

That's a retarded definition hoes, try harder.

10. #50 Boats And Hoes, Jul 22, 2014

The definition is pretty standard, so hop off my d..

existence (ɪɡˈzɪstəns) -n: 1. the fact or state of existing; being: 2. the continuance or maintenance of life; living, esp in adverse circumstances:

• ex·is·tence
    • [ ig zíst'nss ]
    •  
    1. being real: the state of being real, actual, or current, rather than imagined, invented, or obsolete
    Definition of EXISTENCE 1 reality as opposed to appearance b : reality as presented in experience c (1)

11. #51 Tokesmith, Jul 22, 2014
    My accidental 2nd post..... I like having staring contests with babies.....

12. #52 Boats And Hoes, Jul 22, 2014

No, I'm not saying that if one believes he exists, then he exists, because, as most people are trying to point out, in quite a desultory manner, this very line of thought would require one to define what they mean by existence... that is, if one claims they are, in fact, "existent".

What I'm really saying, regardless of semantical critiques, is that it's not possible to actually believe something, like one's own "existence" or "non-existence", and not be real or alive... meaning, the acceptance of belief necessitates the actuality of the one who harbors belief (whatever it may be).

So did Michael Jackson.. but I think he did more than just stare..

13. Then this is bt literal definition a troll post

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app