Cow Manure/peat Compost

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Bowl_frog, Jul 21, 2014.

1. I found a local compost source but the place says theirs is a 50/50 cow manure and peat mix. Is this worthy of use as compost portion of my soil? If not I can keep looking...I also have another place nearby but they sell it by the cu. yrd (holy shit that's a lot)...

2. This is what the bulk compost place says about theirs.."An Excellent Soil Amendment! Horse and cow manure mixed with straw and sawdust and aged over 18 months, turned and screened to produce a fine black texture. Adds organic matter to the most clay packed soils or enhances the growth of delicious vegetables and beautiful flowers."

If the bulk stuff is better I'll take it and just pay for more than I need...she says it has lawn and food waste in it as well but web site doesn't say that so idk.

3. If you ask me, compost mixed 50% with peat isn't really called compost. It's more like a potting blend with ingredients missing

Find the best EWCs at www.wemakeitflourish.com

4. Unless you have a few weeks to germ some vegetables seeds or plant a couple of petunias in that compost mix and observe what happens I'd stick with what Flourish! suggested.

"Iffy" at best. Risky no doubt.

5. .....what about the second source? They say it's manure with yard and food scraps, and no peat..website says they use some sawdust...is this better? I'm not bothering with that 50/50 crap! I had a feeling it was no good

6. The sawdust bothers me. If I had to choose between the two then I would use the one that doesn't have sawdust in it. You could add some aeration and organic fertilizers (kelp/neem/alfalfa/crab etc) to the peat blend along with some EWC and call it a day.

Sawdust stinks and unless it's 110% composted will eat up the N in your mix.

My opinion, of course.

GL

J

7. #7 Possuum, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014

When I said "iffy" at best that's not to condem the compost as no good. Composting is relatively simple to accomplish but what matters in the end is the finished product. Short of a quantified lab analysis of a sample of compost the next best way to test it for ensuring certain composting steps have been accomplished naturally is to germinate seeds which tells a lot about the compost's viability, or purchase an annual variety plant, petunias work well because their a bit sensitive, and transplant is into your mix with the compost and observe it for a period of time. Or, take your chances and run with it. Does it pass the smell test? Is it crumbly and have both large and small particles in it? If you don't feel comfortable sticking your hands in it, lifting a scoop to your schnoze and take a big whiff then I wouldn't mess with it.

A cubic yard is a medium sized pile of something to have sitting around taking up space and doing nothing. However, good compost is always great to have around and if your lady can stand the site of a tarp covering a pile of compost it's probably not a bad deal. But again, the finished product of compost is extremely important. During certain stages of composting alcohol(s) are created as a by-product of cellulose degradation. If those alcohols are present they will kill your plant, if your using it as a transplant medium, and they will not allow seeds to germ, or if they do they'll be yellow and sickly. So when dealing with compost, whether it's bagged and sold as compost or you make your own or buy it from the guy down the street it's got to: a) pass the smell test and  pass the seed germination test. Otherwise the compost isn't ready for prime time use and needs to complete the composting process.

Excellent threads are around here somewhere on composting. Compost is the bomb! The bee's knees to a MJ grower so-to-speak, but the compost has to be in a ready to use state or it'll ruin your dreams... :bongin:  :bongin:  :bongin: .. BTDT. Just do those a/b things and give it a shot. :smoking:

8. Possuum and Jerry are more than right, sawdust should be avoided in compost. There is plenty written on why not to use it if you want to research, but just listen to the good advice given. 

Wet

9. Of the two id go with peat and steer/cow manure. Dont know why everyones so down on that mix as jerry said it can easily be amended and can become much better if youve got a few ingredients already and a few weeks to let the soil "do its thing."

10. Manure/peat. Humic and peat components of the soil base already done for you. I would add EWC as J' has suggested, aerate appropriately, and add amendments. Done.

Sawdust no bueno...

We do what we can eh mate.... :smoke: