Need Help Building My First Stealth Cab

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by 4sweetgreen20, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Hey GC. So I'm new to the forum scene as a whole along with a noob in the cultivating area but I have tons of experience gardening other plants.
    So I have this little cab I want to turn into a stealth box and would love some help from anyone with experience for the build. I'm going to be adding pictures shortly. So stay tuned and thanks in advance for the support.

2. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1405962443.608777.jpg
    So there's the cabinet the dimensions measure 19"x15"x22" (LxDxH)

I'm going to seal the front up by cutting off the back part of the draws and glueing the front parts back on.

Then the bottom with a piece of plywood or something.

The back I want to use for fans carbon filter lights and power strip.

3. So here are some sketches I did while killing time at work. It's a front view, right side view, and top view. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1405963383.391727.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1405963421.476987.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1405963475.679369.jpg

4. So the first draw has been glued into place. This is to cover the "stealth" portion of the cab. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1405968265.762809.jpg

5. So the plan tomorrow is paint the inside flat white. Nail on a base of some sort and then I was thinking about using the natural gap at the bottom of the cab as the passive intake. Would that be a big enough size? I will run a screen over the inside of the gap to keep out dirt and bigger insects.

6. So the cab is really small it's a cabinet I gutted. It's 19"x15"x23". I know it's small and not trying to break records just tryin to see how the plant grows and get a lil personal smoke. While picking up a new hobby. Is it possible?

7. Looks pretty solid to me. Bigger than my case so there is deff enough room in there. My advice, put all the lights and exhaust in a smaller separate box on top to save some space for the plant

8. Alright so I pained the I side flat white. Going to use the front arch as a passive intake. I stapled a screen across though to keep out anything big.

I modified a 6 x cfl light fixture and fixed it to the top of the box. Pictures coming soon.

My next step is ventilation? I'm lost...was trying to wire up an xbox 360 fan and think I blew that. Anyone hit any suggestions Indians for a small stealth grow ?

9. So there's the stealth cab so far. Found three bean in my recent purchase so hopefully they will be ready to plant by the time the cab in operational.

I really need help with ventilation what's enough for this little space? I want quiet. Thanks again in advance.

10. Hi dude! :)

The passive intake area should be fine. Just keep your intakes passive, and twice the size of the exhaust. I think you should use 2 pencil holder style diy filters(check out the 'wolfman zen diy carbon filter). I feel the flat carbon layers you drew out will restrict too much air..you want more surface area in your filter so the air isn't restricted. You might need to order 2 pc fans...check out newegg and just buy some cheapos. I use 80mm fans.  I'd hang 2 of those filters in your back corners and use a 90degree angle to redirect them out the back..fans on the back.

Check out light traps too...like the scrubninja style that I use. Those are the best lighttraps out there imo...easy to make too, and cheap.

11. Thanks bong for stopping by! In the process of making the carbon filters. Was just wondering if stealth is a main concern what's a low decibel level on a fan for a stealth cab?? And would it be better to get a fan with low dub level or just find a wait to sound proof the box?

Also was wondering if there is a setup with the DIY filter that keeps the filter inside the box? Again for stealth ? Thanks again

12. I can't remember all the decibel levels..I know my panasonic fan is .3 sones and I can't hear it. The nosie of the fan is gonna be relative to the cfm/power rating unless you get a high end fan. I always just use the cheapo fans and they do fine....I've never paid more then a buck or 2 for a pc fan.

You can rig the carbon filter on the inside...with the fan on the outside..similar to how I did my dual speaker cab. (on page 2 of my micro thread, #25). If you look closely you can see how the filter is simply placed in a hole and a cover is put over it, holding it in place. A 100mm fan might be easier to mount over the filter though.

13. Alright that bong about to take another look. Not surprised I don't remember post #25...damn that thug is long.

Snoop thanks, that's what I retained from drafting and architecture in high school. Definitely not to scale and most definitely thc inspired so rough is definitely the way to describe this project right now lol

14. anything new goin on?  :smoking:

15. Get bong not at the moment. On vaca with the lady. Just read through askeds coco guide!! Damn lol. I'll update some pics when I'm back. Will be going with 2 filters though?

What kind of container will minimize lost height in this kind of cab?

16. well if your gonna veg a little bit I'd use a short wide container...find a container that's fits the area well so that you can get as much soil/coco as possible. I made my own container the other day just to make it an inch or 2 wider to fit that little bit of extra coco.

have a great vacation :D

17. Thanks man. The mrs wasn't too happy when she caught me on the city during vaca...suppose to be a no phone thing lol. But here I find myself again wanting to ask questions. So for container size is all about the most soil?

I guess where I'm torn is does depth of container matter more than overall size? ie: 2 containers both measuring 6ft^3 (LxDxH) 1x1x6 or 3x2x1 ??

My thought ( and this is total noob speculation ) is that roots want to grow down not out so I would ideally want a taller pot? But with height restrictions obviously some things need to be sacrificed. Am I on the right track or did I confuse you :smoking: cause I think I just confused myself smh.

18. yep right. taller is better for deeper roots.