Can Somebody Who Smokes Weed Be With Somebody Who Doesnt Smoke Weed?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by justdontgiveafxck, Jul 19, 2014.

1. okay. so, i'm 19 and i was in a relationship for a guy with over 5 years. basically, he got me into smoking weed when i was 14, about 4 months or so into our relationship, and it just turned into an everyday thing and eventually a year or two into the relationship, it took over the entire relationship. he didnt want to hang out with me if we didnt have any weed and he would be all uptight and sometimes flip the fuck out if we didnt have weed. so in turn, we would each blow like $300+ on weed a week and just spend all our time together and smoke constantly. the relationship completely revolved around smoking. there wasnt any just hanging out and chilling, it was always smoking, smoking, smoking. if we werent smoking, we were trying to figure out how to smoke. it got completely overwhelming and it was horribly unhealthy and we fought constantly and the only time we were calm was when we would be smoking with eachother. long story short, we broke up two months ago and ive had a really hard time getting over him because of the dynamics of the relationship, the fact that i havent been smoking as much and that im lonely all the time. i desperately want him back but i know that isnt how normal relationships work. i wanna be with somebody who actually likes just being with me and ive had a really hard time adjusting, the thought of being in a normal relationship still kind of scares me. i dont plan on quitting smoking at all and ive just met a really sweet guy that i like a lot but he cant smoke until january because of court ordered drug counseling. he said he has absolutely no problem with me smoking and he plans on starting back up when he gets out of drug counseling but im questioning whether or not smoking is an essential part of a relationship atleast in my eyes. i feel like its a bonding experience and extremely relaxing and just fun in general, but like i said, im just so completely used to being in a relationship that revolves around smoking. one thing that kind of deflates my confidence about the relationship is that my twin brother and his girlfriend are basically what i look to as an ideal relationship, and while their relationship definitely doesnt revolve around smoking, they do smoke together a lot. i guess im just kind of looking for reassurance that this could work and that i can be in a happy sucessful relationship without having to smoke with the person. somebody please help :( im tired of being lonely and i think i have a chance at a relationship that could work but im just so unsure.

2. In your case, yes. I don't see why you couldn't smoke and be in a relationship with someone who wants to but can't just due to drug counseling. And if he said it was fine, then it's all up to you.

3. Well don't spend 100% of the time smoking with your significant other. You can smoke and go out to do stuff. Go to nice restaurants, go hiking, go to theme parks. Enjoy each others company in a sober state so you can really know if you like the person.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. My ex gf didn't smoke weed and we were together for 2 years. Just do things that don't revolve around weed. Trust me, it's very possible.

5. #5 DeathStarContractor, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
    It's definitely possible. Just don't do it around them and don't become a different person when you're high either.

I will say if you are in a relationship w someone who doesn't smoke then being baked 75% of the time prob isn't a good idea. Youll probably have to change some things. But I don't see a problem with occasional social smoking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. I was with a girl for 2 years and she didn't smoke or drink. She bought me weed once and I got on her about it; just had my reason for it. It never bothered her. Hell, we once made weed brownies together.

7. It's definitely possible, as long as they don't mind that you smoke/don't mind when you're high around them/trust you when you're high. If they don't like that you smoke, it's only gonna cause arguments. If they don't like when you're high around them, make time to be high and time to be with them. If they don't trust you when you're high for whatever reason, that's an issue. Healthy relationships are built on trust, so if trust is the issue, that's something that's gonna have to be worked through.
    Personally I wouldn't want to be in a relationship solely based on smoking, though I definitely would want to date a guy who smokes a lot, just cause it's something you can do together and I feel like smoking with people brings you closer.

8. #8 240sxLover, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
    People just have to be open minded. If you're a kind and considerate partner, then your S.O. shouldn't care. My gf used to make a big deal of it a couple years back when I was a bad person, but now she doesn't mind my smoking, or my use of other drugs. She understands that I'm intelligent and not just taking unmeasured doses of chemicals; I'm very precise about what I put into my body, and she can see that it helps me to be a better person.

So it depends on how intelligent/understanding your partner is, and if you would get along in the first place.

9. Weed should enhance your life not define it. Relationships come first, don't design your life around a plant

sent from my cellular device, for your eyes only.

10. Depends upon how important the weed is. When I was a recreational toker, I almost exclusively dated non-tokers, just because that's how it always worked out. I smoked with my neighbors but my main social group were all pretty straight edge. But I wasn't going to make a big deal out of something I only did every few weeks or so. Seriously, if it was a choice between sex and weed, sex would win every time :)

Now I'm a medical user and weed is a significant part of my ability to have a decent quality of life. Whoever I'm with, needs to accept it. Even if they don't use it themselves. 

11. it's too bad I just like..you know, can't be with weed. I mean I like weed, weed likes weed. 

12. My husband and I have been married for 20 years. In those 20 years he has never smoked. He doesnt smoke it because of his job. Randoms get thrown left and right No way of telling when hes going to get one. But I smoke every weekend. He drinks on saturday nights. It can work. I have my own little room that I go into. I tell him Im playing video games and he knows whats up. But I dont stay in there all day. I smoke up and hang with him. And the sex is awesome

13. >.>....
    ... I'm sure you've seen plenty of relationships between individuals, one of whom drinks or smokes cigarettes, and the other does not. Right? Same concept.

14. I think its very possible, it's just that most people aren't really mature enough or are too self centered to let it work out that way (in my cases anyway, while being the smoker and the non-smoker).

But my advice to you would be, take a nice break from smoking, (cause as you said it was all you really did since you were 14) and date this dude, then, in January, you two can smoke together. This way, i think, you should be out of your mindset that a relationship has to revolve around smoking and you two can start healthily smoking together.

P.s. i dont really mean take a break from smoking as in never smoke, just only smoke on special occasions or when theres nothing bothering you. Peace  :smoke:

15. My girlfriend and I just celebrated our 3 year anniversary and we're still completely in love with each other. I'm a daily smoker and she's never toked in her life. So yes, it can be done as long as the base of the relationship isn't weed.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. I've been with my girlfriend for 5 years now, she has never smoked, and we get along fine. There are some times when I'd like her to get baked though, but she's fine with me getting stoned. It wasn't like that always, she used to roll her eyes and all of that, but since I've been smoking since I was a kid, she just had to come to terms with it.

The key is not to be high as a fucking kite all the time. I usually do something with her every night for a few hours, then I'll get really baked and do my thing, maybe end up driving to get a pizza and come back and bam pizza and movies in bed.

17. Been married to my wife for over 10 years. She's only smoked with me 3 times, and I wish I was a bit more responsive to her then as she might have kept smoking (she got really horny, didn't really say anything, but I was also involved in doing "cool stoner stuff" with her... should've just had sex). Since that time she hasn't smoked with me since; at least herb, also it was early in our marriage. 

She's had no problem with me smoking herb, and loves that I've switched over to vaping as it doesn't stink up the house or kick me out to the garage. But yes, it is possible to have a relationship with someone who doesn't smoke herb, while you partake regularly.

18. Yes definitely, if you are mature enough to keep the smoking seperate from the relationship. No need for your partner to smoke. However, being with someone who is vehemently against weed, is a different story.

19. My partner and I have been together going on 3 years now. He doesn't mind me doing it, he just doesn't like the smell. As such, I only smoke outside or in well-ventilated areas of the house, such as our bathroom. As long as they don't mind you doing it and you respect their sensitivities, there should be no problem.

20. Alright so I didn't bother to read anything past the title, but that's because I didn't have to. I've been in this situation and I have a close friend who is currently in this situation.

My close friend got me into weed. We only smoked together once, but he popped my weed cherry and I've been smoking ever since. Anyway, my girl was against smoking, but I told her flat out that I didn't care and was going to do it anyway and I educated her on it and she was cool with it and now I smoke with her every once in a while. My close friend who got me into smoking is with this girl who is absolutely against it (yet refuses to listen to the facts about cannabis) and he accepts it and doesn't do it. I believe that honestly, he has to man up and tell her what's good. I mean I would choose my girl over a lil weed any day, but at the same time if the girl is being a controlling bitch about smoking, then you have to stand up for your beliefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum