New Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by nbyrne2388, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Alright lets see here....

First, I'd go ahead and transfer those two small girls.... they aren't gonna get any better in those dishes lol

Second.... temps in mid 80s are not good, but not terrible.  I, too, struggle with high temps during the summer.  85+ is where I've found trouble starts.... last fall I consistently had temps around 78-84F and it wasn't a big problem..... a couple weeks ago my tent was hitting 88F for like a week straight, and it damaged my girl to the point I don't think she'll recover well.  For humidity I don't have much.... the humidifier should be fine as long as it's not right on top of the girls.  Or you could do a SIP like I do... that helps humidity rise, but takes some getting used to.

Third... I mentioned mycorrhizae to one of you guys yesterday, but it might not have been you.  Here's what I wrote: Mycorrhizae are a form of fungus that forms a symbiotic relationship with plant roots.....  More or less, they form a thick webbing around the root, like a cotton ball sort of.... so instead of a single thin root hair, you have an entire web ofmycorrhizal hyphae.  Mycorrhizae can increase the "mass" or "reach" of plant roots by up to 400-500%.  The mycorrhizae bring nutrients to the root from places it could not have otherwise reached, and especially aid in the uptake of phosphorus (which is perhaps the trickiest nutrient since up to 98% of the phosphorus in our soils may be in forms that are not available to the plant).

I recommend a Myco product, but it's not a priority really.  Certainly the other things you listed (pots, soil, fan, lights) are more important to a successful grow.  When you do start thinking about mycos, the one I recommend is BioAg Vam Endo.  It is the one recommended by all the best growers in the Organics section.  It's just as good as Great White, and less than 1/2 the price.

Lbez is right, they need to come into direct contact with the roots to be effective.  I typically sprinkle a tiny amount into the hole that I put my seed into after I germ it.  That way they get activated from the moment my seed sprouts.  Then, when I TP from the solos to the smart pots, I sprinkle the roots with a little more Myco, just to be sure.  All told, I probably use a 1/2 TSP of myco per plant lol  A little dab will do ya.... you can't "extra-inoculate" the plants... once they are inoculated, that's it, so be sparing with it.

Fourth.... be really cautious about burying the stems on young plants.... I wouldn't do it until they have a couple nodes and the stem starts to look "bark-like"..... if you bury them too early, and too close to the stems, it can promote "damping off" which is a symptom or condition caused by pathogenic fungi like Pythium and Botrytis.  Basically the stem gets incredibly weakened, and the plant collapses over on its side and dies.  I'm not telling you to stress, just.... don't get too aggressive with the burying of stems on young seedlings.

Fifth.... whatever height you want your girls to be, put them in flower when they are 1/3 that height.  MJ typically stretches between 2-3x during flower.... so if you want 3ft plants, flip to flower when they are just over 1ft tall.

Sixth.... for curing your bud.... curing stops as soon as the ambient humidity in your jar goes below 55%.  After that, the bud is just getting crunchy/crispier/drier.  If you want the curing to continue, you can do it the ghetto way by putting an orange peel into the jar, or you can do it the modern way by buying Boveda 62 packs.... they are capable of sucking in moisture if the weed in the jar is still too wet, and capable of putting out moisture if the bud is getting too dry.  They keep the ambient humidity in the jar right at 62%.  This will ensure that your cure continues.

2. Gandalf, once again, you amaze me. Awesome info and awesome answers to my questions. I can't wait to actually use my knowledge on curing!! Lol

Alright here's an update. It's been about 16-17 hrs since transplant and they're all looking pretty good. The one that curled up super bad has some new growth that's looking good, too. Here are pics of all the plants, side and top, and a picture of the setup now.
    Also, I've labeled each of the plants so we can see how each one grows.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

3. Oh and 8 & 9 are getting TP'd as soon as the wake up at 7pm tonight. Thank you everyone for the help with transplanting these girls. They probably wouldn't have made it otherwise.

4. Which one of the plants do you guys think will turn out best? Is there a way to tell by looking at the shapes of the leaves and the size? Is it possible that they're all the same strain?

Out of the two that I am growing the one that is turning out the best was the worst in the beginning…  I don't think there is anyway to tell but I could be wrong 

6. Ok guys I've got an update. Since all the transplants my girls are doing phenomenal. All new growth is looking pretty healthy, and they're getting so bushy! Also, in alot of the pictures, you can start to see some little sparkles on the leaves, which I'm assuming are the start of THC production. Is that what it is? Or maybe the leaves are just sweating because my temps are a bit high... Regardless, they seem happy, and that's all that matters to me!

To any of you experienced growers out there, do you see any issues that may be starting to poke their heads out? Like stuff that I'm not gonna notice because I don't know what to look for? I'm not using any nutes, and feeding them distilled water, so I'm hoping my Ph levels are fine, but I've never measured any nute levels before, so I obviously can't be sure.

How do you measure the level of Ph and PPM? In the water that runs off?

Attached Files:

Good stuff man, they look happy!  Definitely not THC production yet.....

lol well....... scientifically speaking, testing the pH of runoff is a ridiculous proposition not give the slightest bit of respect or thought in scientific communities.  In academic settings, they test pH by either taking a sample of soil or by cutting a branch of the plant off and testing the pH of the fluid inside the branch.

That said, 99.9% of the people who grow MJ and who test for pH, do so by testing the runoff lol

Here's a post from my organic guru lol

Trying to garden by testing the runoff from a container grown plant is pointless. This testing will tell you absolutely nothing about the soil's pH - that's a physical impossibility.

Factor in the bacterial slime that surrounds the roots in the rhizosphere along with the electrical charges held by humic acid, clay, etc. and the positive charges on pure elemental minerals (Calcium, Magnesium, et al) and the real pH in the active zone is held in check.

IF you really want to test your soil's pH then here's how it's done at soil labs - take about 1 tablespoon of your soil and add about the same amount of distilled water. Now test your pH - that's the soil's pH

The runoff pH is simply that - the pH of the runoff which consists of negative-charged elements, waste from the microbes which cannot be assimilated either through cation exchange, direct uptake by roots (very few on this one) and fungi absorbtion.

HTH

LD

8. Man they're growing like crazy gandalf. Now that they're established in their new containers, they're really bushing out. I moved my lights up about 3 inches last night, too, because they were growing up into the bulbs, and I woke up this morning with almost all of them already about an inch from the lights! They're growing like crazy!

And I had my job interview this morning and it went wicked well. If I get it I'll be making $16 an hour, and my financial restraints will be no more! Everything is going great!

9. Dude these plants are BLOWING UP. I wish I could put my pics from last week together with these, but I dk how to on my phone lol. The stems are getting thick and bark-like and every single one is just getting so bushy! I'm scared they're gonna get too big before I can get them a good flowering light setup, though... I guess we'll see what ends up happening! I'm just happy I didn't kill them!

Attached Files:

10. Are the nodes pretty close together? And look at the little guys! Even they made it through the transplanting with no problems!

I love these girls! Let's just pray now that they are all girls!

Attached Files:

11. Is it at all possible that these are all the same strain? They grew from bag seeds btw.

12. So I've decided to do a little experiment. I germinated 3 seeds last night, and once they break soil I'm going to put them out on my front porch which gets plenty of light all day. Are they going to turn out okay even though I'm starting them so late in the season? Like the ones I've been growing in the closet, I'm not really looking to get them very large, maybe 3-4 ft tops. Will they just grow until the natural length of the day changes and puts them into flowering, ending with them being similar to an indoor grow with a short veg, then forced flowering early? Or will they have trouble since they won't be able to veg as much as they 'should'? Anyone ever attempted an outdoor grow this late in the season?

13. Just LST'd my 2 biggest plants. I'm hoping they grow out exactly like they're supposed to! I'll post pictures tomorrow if they continue to grow well with the training.

14. So its only been 2 1/2 hours and the plants I LST'd already moved their leaves towards the light. I hope I did it right lol. I don't think you can mess it up very easily, but I always worry about them... I'm attaching the pics of the two now.

I also have an update on the seed I germinated last night already! I pulled the seed from the paper towel around 10am and planted it in FFOF, and to my surprise the little girl's already poking her head out! Pic below, too.

Attached Files:

15. So besides the 2 plants I'm training, #4 and #6 are both working on their 5th node, so I decided to FIM #4, and Top #6. I have no idea the sex of any of these plants, so I'm praying that at least these 4 that I'm working on end up females. Hell I hope they all end up female, but I can only hope for so much... We'll see soon enough! At least if all 4 of these survive and grow successfully, I now know how to train my plants the right way...

16. First 2 are the FIM'd #4, and the 3rd pic is Topped #6. God I hope these are successful. Does anyone know why you have to cut at a 45 degree angle when Topping? If you get more like a say, 25 degree angle, will that fuck everything up? Or will the plant still branch off into 2 colas?

Attached Files:

17. Lol Nah. More Co2 in the room can never be a bad thing though, and since they're not gonna get used by my broken gun anyways, I should probably just do it to see if it helps. Actually, you've inspired me. I'm gonna release the tanks into my closet after measuring them, then check their height the next day to see how big of a difference it makes. I'll use the height dif from today to tomorrow to compare it to.

18. Is that not EXACTLY how an LST'D plant should grow?! I'm so pumped that it's working! I love growing MJ!

19. Oops forgot to attach the picture -_-

Attached Files: