... Migraine...?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by VeritableHypocrisy, Jul 18, 2014.

1. #1 VeritableHypocrisy, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
    Okay, so I woke up this morning abruptly, after 3 hours of sleep. The entire left side of my head was throbbing, I couldn't balance, my neck was hurting. I thought 'Okay, maybe I slept on it wrong...'

The pain got worse and worse, so bad that I crumpled up in a ball and started screaming. When I finally could do something other than that, I stumbled (Literally.) out of the bed and ran at top speed to the shower for a steamy shower. No relief. 2 ibuprofen? Nope. Threw it up. It just got worse and worse.. I couldn't even see properly, because I was in too much pain to focus my eyes on anything. 

I figured okay, maybe I have enough kief to get a hit in, maybe that'll help the pain. Nope.. My kief was missing out of the grinder. Maybe I forgot that I had used it or something. I looked up migraines and everything seems about right, symptom-wise. In fact, apparently you could cure a headache/migraine with capsaicin.

Being ever the gardener, I had a few fresh Ghost Peppers on hand. Took one apart and grabbed an entire vein off it to eat. I managed to hold it down for about 10 minutes, but by then it had completely killed the migraine! I am 20 minutes later now, and I still have only the slightest twinge of a headache left.

I am still very concerned about whether it was really a migraine or what, but I could not have asked for a more effective medicine, albeit painful to ingest... Especially when my aunt, a registered nurse with thirty years in the field, said to seek immediate medical attention.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I would still seek medical attention. I don't trust spicy peppers. Or mainly the fact it could happen again, it can catch you more off guard. Play it safe a see a doctor :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sounds Like a migraine, I get those a couple times a week. If it's the first one you've ever had you might want to see a doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I will eventually get checked, but in the meantime I have noticed that since that incident I have had absolutely no recurrence of it. I've added ghost pepper to my diet, cooking it into my meals about once every couple days.

Unfortunately I am not in a medical state. I am in a faux-medical state. You know, one of the states where they think everything can be fixed by signing a CBD oil law into effect for cancer/epilepsy patients. I'll have to get seeds instead. 

I've never felt a pain quite like that morning before, and I hope I never do again. Dx

5. mirgains are indeed painful. I get them sometimes. It runs in the family.

Thanks for the post. I will start having peppers in the house at all times

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. My suggestion is to get pure capsaicin capsules. If not, buy ghost pepper seeds and learn to propagate and store ghost peppers. They are one of the highest producers of capsaicin.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I wonder if ghost peppers grow in my area (Las Vegas)

I haven't seen seeds for sale anywhere might have to order some.

I been doing aquaponics as a hobby for years now

They don't grow well in my area. Too wet this year. Doesn't stop me from making them grow anyway. <3~

9. too wet?

Do you think they'd grow well in aquaponics?

10. Well by too wet I mean... It's been raining so long that it's drowned many of my outdoor vegetable crops. If a regular pepper plant will do fine in aquaponics, then it will likely do well. 

• Like Like x 1
  11. I wish I.lived somewhere where "rain" was a thing :p

Seriously tho our "flash flood" season this year was a total bust
    In fact we been getting.less rain every year :(

12. Hmm....one side was hurting and you had trouble balancing?

Possibly an ear infection?  I would go to your GP then get recommended to a good ENT.

• Like Like x 1
  13. time to make an appointment with john redcorn. that seemed to work for nancy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  14. I dunno.. Nancy has to make daily visits to John.

15. It was definitely a migraine. I get them all the time and have since I was about 4-5 and remember almost every single one. Exactly what you described feeling is how i feel every time. Ill get them on the left side sometimes, the right others, and sometimes even on both sides. The whole head migraine is almost unbearable. It feels like your head is cracked open and someone is hitting your brain with a hammer. They are horrible. I'm so glad I found this thread because I've never heard of capsaicin being used for migraines and now I'm going to look into that. Thank you and I'm sorry you had to experience that!

16. I sincerely hope it helps you! They make capsaicin capsules, maybe that's what they're for?

17. My first advice would be to get the help from a doctor. 

Next, I know exactly what you're talking about. I too have dealt with migraines similar to exactly what you went thru. How often do you get migraines? do you ever get little headaches from time to time? I had one one day and the pain was nearly unbearable and I couldn't do anything but lay in my bed in the complete dark and silence. I just loaded myself with ibuprofen and passed out.. I began getting these migraines every day. two weeks passed and I finally went to see my Doc. and he prescribed me to take a very small dosage of an anti-depressant Amitryiptiline to use at bedtime for a week straight then from there on whenever I need. It doesn't help the pain, but it actually helps the neurological aspect of migraines. It helps by stimulating the serotonin transporter in your brain. Serotonin helps regulate pain, sleep, mood, and even appetite. A link between (lack of) serotonin and migraines has been found. Higher doses of this drug may cause you to develop high self-confidence, and relaxation which is why it is used as an anti-depressant. 

I took it for a few days and they went away completely. I'm convinced that my migraines were caused from me weaning off of the Prednisone I was taking for Crohns. I Haven't had a migraine like that in over 3 months now. With every medication there are side effects. So maybe look into it or ask your doctor.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I only have had a few headaches, mostly computer-induced or stupidity induced. That's the only migraine I've actually ever had, to be honest. Even since then I haven't had one.

19. #20 Crony, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
    In that case there are a number of things that could have triggered it. Migraines are all nuerological but there are certain triggers that aggravate it or make it worse. You claimed to have only have gotten 3 hrs of sleep. That would be my first concern. Try getting some rest. When you sleep and you fall into deep sleep you enter the REM stage. Rapid eye movement this is when you begin having dreams and you're brain becomes very stimulated during this process. Are you dealing with some stress? Stress is a big thing that can drive migraines to become much more frequent and severe. Hydration is also important. 

Sleep (lack of)
    Stress
    Hydration 

Are all common triggers.