Xml 350 Hydro Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Brada Haole, Jul 17, 2014.

That has to be so casual to take a rip when ever and where ever you want. :)

2. in some ways it is the greatest cannabis invention sense the bong :) I am a patient and now i can go out and participate in life. it literally has freed me like nothing else. I can go out for more than a few hours now!!

3. I am new to growing, but I wouldn't call myself a newbie overall (3 indoor, 5 guerrilla).  I want to understand the when and why of defoliating and trimming away leaves.  It makes sense that the more leaves you have means more light absorption means more food which can get to the buds.  The buds themselves absorb minimal amounts of light, right? 

As much trimming as this shows in the video, it makes me think the colas would be average at best.  I would like to have his budsite count, but the lack of leaves seems like they couldn't develop to max potential. 

I am posting this not to debate, but to understand.  What do you guys think?  Everything said about that video was positive, but do you think the lack of foliage would be degrading to his final harvest? 

4. the vid is for the scrog; I want one i can have coffee under in the morning and wake and bake. I wouldnt trim like this guy. I will grow one when i get in a location that i can. I want an out door shade scrog like that but bigger :) 

5. #25 Neon PhD, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014

yes i was actually just kinda yelling at someone else about overtraining and topping and defoliation actually. I was just posting said video because OP asked for it :)

I personally only trim DEAD material and any mature fan leaves that are covering new growth in the center of my canopy. other than that, even topping and fimming are waste of resources for a lot of reasons. the only time I trim a stalk bare is if it is super dominant and i want it to grow slower for the rest to catch up

Once you understand how the plant works on the inside its easy to come to that conclusion, your suspicions are correct

a lot of growers waste a lot of plant matter and bud alike from over training

just stick to LST / nets / SoG - none of that topping and defoliation BS - does literally nothing but slow the plant down - i have proven this to myself time and time again unfortunately

6. WOW!  I am now picturing your mornings once your dream comes true.  That sounds like a great way to relax and a conversation starter for the usually quiet people you may invite over in the morning.  Definitely would not be the place to have a party though.  ;)  Great dream.   

7. My plants have always been in soil... I am not used to the growth rate "you hydro people" get.  I see topping as a way to lessen veg time when doing an LST SoG.  I've seen a lot of screens in person with friends, but I have never been the one in control of the screen use.  This VERT will be my first screen and I want to weigh all options. 

8. Here is my first timelapse video. its my first so it will get better as i figure out how to use it best in my room
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4PGuZlr2ZI

9. That is awesome. Real cool to watch it dance.

10. just think how cool your pool would be!  a whole bunch of smelly girls up on stage dancing around. you gotta get one. 

11. I was thinking about adding a hash plant anyone got any suggestions, warnings or encouragements? 

12. #33 Neon PhD, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014

Hey man it does take a lot of experience and fine tuning too, so if you're working with nets and stuff already all of that experience will help you greatly if you choose to move to a medium you think will get better results. you'll have to soak up less new info.
    I don't consider myself to have seen "those growth rates us hydro growers get" either, which may be ironic since i'm growing in hydro... but it is my first time and my system has been NOWHERE NEAR dialed in for a lot of reasons.
    if you're having fun an learning you're doing everything right in my opinion.

And to the OP I am loving the huge flowers keep it going.
    if by hash plant you mean the strain, i say go for it if you feel it does you right.

I always pick strains based on how I feel, or some kind of connection I may have to it. (sometimes a literal connection, like, someone gave me it. lol) Never pick based on what those sites say about yield and quality because they grow at standards i never could and most lie anyway and you're lucky to get the phenotype quality they advertise
    another great way to find strains is bagseed lottery. seen a lot of very pretty girls come from random bag seeds. can be a rewarding hobby.

13. what kind of extraction are you doing? I am torn between alcohol wash and ice water hash with bags

14. I grew up in the 80's so its RUN-B.H.O for me. I use it for my e-cigaweed

15. Bruddah diggin the led grow man looks good. Eager to see your harvest  :yummy:

16. I didnt run co2 or use a lot of the things i normally do. so I am interested to see this little harvest. I just thru mary in next to my mother as i veg. Have never grown this strain so i have no expectations for her. looks low average right now. got a real nice smell to it. 

17. their is a lot of controversy about trimming plants. I am a noob but I cant help but feel that people go overboard with it.

The idea is trim the stuff on the bottom out and lollipop the plant because everything under the canopy will just be little popcorn buds and wont have the yield or potency like the cola's will. It is also supposed to promote better growth on the cola's but I have not tested any of it yet.  There is a guy on youtube Mr Tight. he will grow say a 3 foot plant then trim out 2/3rds of the plant. He swears by it, but I kind of think its wasteful to let the plant grow THAT much to just chop it all away.  you could just flip them into flower sooner and not waste extra time vegging something that will go into the garbage anyway.

I also don't think popcorn buds are a waste either. for me that's just more for the hash pile or even just good joint weed. I also think that the plant uses leaf as energy storage as well as for photosynthesis.  I am not saying anyone is right or wrong, and I AM just a newb still. I will trim out a little bit on the bottom just for some air flow but I wont be doing any hard core lollypopping.

18. well mary is almost done
    View attachment 143710
    flushing so i will have a harvest up very soon. 
    View attachment 143708
    View attachment 143709

and what is soon to be. I think her name will be Wendy or Mindy not Cindy; I have not decided yet. 
    View attachment 143711

and here is what is left of Diamond. 
    View attachment 143707

I dont like to trim my plants no reason. I have never tested it i have just always liked watching the plant grow the way it does. I find i can use light spectrums to stretch a plant or keep it small so I just dont have the need i guess.