What Exactly Is A Dream?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by LuxSpiritus, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Every time our bodies enter REM sleep, we dream, whether we remember it or not. Keeping a dream journal and jotting down your dreams shortly after waking is a great way to improve dream recollection. It also helps to become lucid and be able to control your dreams, which to me is one of the greatest feelings in the world

2. How does one know which world they visit is the right one? How does one know that this world wasn't slung together last night just before you awoke. How do you not realize you are dreaming right now? How is it going this time, did you get the girl this time around, for how long, what was it like your last meal? Wake. Up. Dream a better dream.

3. is this a serious question?

Its pretty easy to tell if you are dreaming or not and which world is real.

If you are suggesting there is another world above this one then its pointless since we cant experience it. It might as well not exist even if it's real

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #24 ProGMO, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Sleep hallucinations induced by the chemical changes. Changes in oxygen levels and recovery of energy by the body causes some pretty cool trick in the brains electrical activities. 

5. #25 Ninja20p, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
    Actually your brain fires the same synapses and electrical charges as your waking brain. It's why you can't tell you were dreaming until you awaken. Adds a flare to lucid dreaming eh?

But like the inability to distinguish reality from fantasy is very intriguing don't you think? Where does one draw the line in the sand and declare some one as mentally inept? Then we can talk about disturbing or delusional beliefs, or even contradictory held beliefs.

edit: fucking dreams mann

6. its an interesting philosophical question.

But in reality. You can tell when you are awake. Its obvious. I'm awake right now. Care to dispute that?

7. Unless you have a metal illness it shouldn't be hard to discern awake from asleep hahaha. Well, from the awake side that is

8. its a really scary thought tho.

The movie shutter island scares me. What if I was crazy? That would be horrible

No dude shutter island is just the 5th dream level after that crazy beach in Inception, which is where the movie "The Beach" takes place

hahahaha Leo lives in a dream and thats why he never wins any awards

But yea, being that crazy would be terrifying during the moments where you were sane enough to question it

10. Props for that info. I have always wondered. But I don't ever dream, and the same with most ppl that smoke pot frequently right? Or I thought anyways. I guess it applies when not smoking weed and pounding down your serotonin levels lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. It's pretty fucking cool that's what it is

12. #33 Thejourney318, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
    Yea, I'm someone who has always remembered multiple dreams a night, but since I took up daily toking I remember hardly anything. Just occasional fragments. But, I'm taking a few days to a week off here, so I'm hoping my dream life picks up.

13. When you are dreaming you presently believe you are in the waking reality don't you?

14. Not all the time, I know I don't all the time.

15. Ever heard of bardo, and the Tibetan book of the dead liberation through sound

16. Nope, but I'll check it out, good read i guess?

17. When your in a dream you believe it to be real because at the time, that is the reality your brain is producing to you.  You don't know your in a dream until you wake up, and you would never know you were in a dream if you never woke up, you would just accept it as a reality....because that's all you would know as reality. 

Ever wake up and think to yourself 'wow that was soooo real'?  That's because it was real, as real as you mind made it, you are hostage to what your brain allows and produces to you.  The only difference between the dream state and your waking state are the laws that govern these different realities.  In a dream you can do almost anything, in the waking state you are subject to the physical laws of this dualistic space we inhabit. 

The reason why the brain produces some really weird dreams while sleeping is because the brain is a survival mechanism designed specifically for the survival of you as a whole.  At night, the brain is simply trying out and making different connections that it can't do during your waking state, like a trial and error reality of pure randomness of past experiences.  It can't do this during the waking state as it would cause mania or some other mental illness, so this is the only time it can try these crazy things to see what works for survival purposes.  The brain does as it wants, we don't have nearly as much control over it as we believe we do..