Respect And Religion

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by CR1S, Jul 16, 2014.

1. I guess you never heard of the Spanish Inquisition.  

2. #22 -13 Amp-, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
    Wow you really need to do some research, it goes far beyond a claim with hitler and llloooottttsss of other killers...

They were religious and they (in their minds) were doing gods work...

Just because you want all killers to be atheists doesn't make it true...far from it actually...

And again what about the crusades? That was a christian movement that killed a lot of people..

The face paint is on you

3. I'm just saying in this completely random and chance universe we live, there really is no right or wrong. Its whatever you want it to be because like I said who are you to make a judgement call on what can be considered right. Why would I ever need to listen to someone's else "morals" when in the end it doesn't even matter. Linkin park quote haha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. I'm just gonna say that any real christian wouldn't harm anyone else. I know there have been hundreds of thousands slaughtered in the name of religion but what does that prove? In a world with no god does it really matter who killed who in the name of whatever they feel like?

I shouldn't have made that assumption that all serial killers are atheists it just made sense to me that any one who would mass murder would think that when they die nothing happens. Cause what intelligent person wpuld go on a murder spree knowing there's heaven and hell and that they will be punished for what they have done.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #25 clevername, Jul 17, 2014

Who am i to make a judgment call?

I'll tell you: i am a person who understands right and wrong, and knows that my body is the only one that actually belongs to me, which is the same entitlement that should be respected for all other human beings. To take away the life or property of another, which Cannot belong to you, is wrong. And i don't need a god to tell me that.

Although i will grant your "in the end it doesn't really matter" assertion, because in some ways, that's correct.

It matters to those who remain, even if you die and are no longer able to care about the impacts of your actions upon the world.

If you can't discern for yourself that "killing others is wrong, unless it is necessary to stop them from causing undue harm," then you should be isolated from the rest of the population, because being unable to understand right and wrong, makes you dangerous to others, whether you realize it or not.

6. That's just your opinion, in reality those people think they are doing gods work, so they are in the right (in their minds) on gods end...so they think they are going to heaven and they can back up everything they have done with scripture...

And just because there is not god (just saying if it there wasn't for this example) doesn't mean there isn't consequences to your actions now...

You kill peopl, get arrested, get convicted and get the death penilty...you sure lived ur life to the fullest "yolo" am I right...

That's why people have morals without a god, because there are life changing consequences awaiting them...

People have always got together and lived in groups, be it tribes or entire countries like the US...people that just "do what they want" normally get delt with because they are a problem...

7. Yes thankfully despite so many people not believing in an after life most people are still moral. That just goes to show you that human beings aren't so bad after all and we really are a good people.

Sure there would be consequences in this life but i for sure wouldn't be getting caught and arrested if I chose to rape and murder. I would be going out in a blaze of glory taking out as many people as I could because why not? If there was no god

8. #28 Tokesmith, Jul 17, 2014
    So the only reason you would feel sorry is because you fear you would go to hell. Seems a little selfish to me.... Everyone has the freedom to do what they want. No one controls you. You can murder, rape, and do all those things. But what do you gain? All you would do is spread negative to people and unto yourself. Fearing the law, revengeful families, and a whole lot of dark thoughts. And on your deathbed knowing that all you have done with your life was nothing but hate... I feel bad for doing anything wrong. Ranging from not helping someone to killing a insect. It just doesn't feel right. The greatest battle in life is with yourself because it never ends. So I ask how would you know you wouldn't feel bad?

The thing is, people do decide it's fine to murder all the time, and they just go ahead and do it despite the rest of us unanimously agreeing it's bad.  Maybe because we seem to make exceptions, like killing for mercy or killing for wars or killing people for killing people.  Maybe.  God isn't any better, though.  God told you murder is bad, but he commits genocide in the bible so how bad could it be?  It's quite the opposite as what you're saying, really.

I could kill everyone in your state and as long as after doing it I feel really sorry and ask for forgiveness, I'm good.  All I have to do is be sorry and believe in god, and I'll be rewarded forever after doing that.  I mean, it should be obvious, really.  Genocide is ok if god does it, of course he's gonna be okay if you apologize for killing a few million people as long as you show him the proper respect.  Fuck it, man, that was what I planned you for anyway!  C'mon in!

10. #30 -13 Amp-, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
  11. secular naturalist humanists seem to actually have a better understanding of morality than any theistic religion participant.

It's very simple: golden rule + non-aggression principle + minimization/elimination of unnecessary suffering. None of those require a god to understand, and the combination results in a solid moral foundation.

1) don't do anything to anyone, that you would not want them to do to you. (this covers many facets)
    2) never instigate or initiate aggression; only self-defense is appropriate. (this should be covered by the golden rule, but needs to be emphasized, because many humans have violent tendencies).
    3) work together to avoid causing suffering where it isn't necessary, and work together to eliminate the causes of unnecessary suffering, which already exist. You can even do this entirely solo, but it's more effective when more people work together. (this should be self-evident, but needs stating, because too many people seem oblivious to the obvious).

12. Respect has to be earned..You earn that through actions/deeds/trust. It doesn't matter whether its connected to religion or not...People use religion for all kinds of their own bullshit. Man carries out atrocities in 'God's' name....in the past and all the time every day.

I don't agree with dogma...doesn't mean I respect it or disrespect it. Don't bring it into making laws for your ideology...and we'll be just fine.

You can't make generalizations about any one group of people though...Respect where it's due. 

'Stupid is as stupid does...'

*Do not take this post out of context w/my sig...lol. People were fighting zombies. :smoke:

Love is God.

13. To me it's not about respecting the religion, it's about respecting the person behind the religion. I may not agree with your religion or the wars it may have caused throughout history , but if the person presents themselves as a decent respectful human being then you get my respect. AND part of respecting you is not bashing your religion or making snide comments etc.

Even if they aren't that great of a person , I would still treat them with respect ,because the way you treat others also reflects how much respect you have for yourself.

14. Respect the person. People have grown respectful of gay people. Doesn't men they respect the choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. #35 -Martyr, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    It's an interesting question that raises a few interesting questions on it's own:

Is it possible to respect a construct that undermines itself through those who perpetuate it? Is respect of religious belief systems even the catalyst that brings about tolerance, or is tolerance simply the byproduct of our own apathy or disinterest at the idea of hating people who are different- either due to us being raised in a more progressive generation, or because we just happen to get that we're all the same? Should we respect people who are purveyors of belief systems responsible for staining this planet in red as an implication of said beliefs constantly dividing an ununited people? It's hard to say.

Respect is something garnered through appreciation and understanding, but I don't know if I neccessarily respect or understand those who believe in a man in the clouds, or that they get so and so many virgins when they die. I've made the decision to spend my life contributing to what I hold to be the most important, which is using what skills I am proficient in to positively influence the next wave of individuals who will outlast and surpass us. I'm in my early 20's, but even now I kind of look at the world around me, sometimes high and sometimes sober, and I realize that I'm absolutely disgusted in more ways than blown away. The beauty of nature is laced with the promise of constant and continuous industrial growth that undermines the validity of whole ecosystems since retards are writing the checks. The birds no longer sing, they just kind of cry out in disarray and in spite of the air that's choking them. A melancholy glaze seems to have cast itself over the eyes of almost everyone you meet, even those who are wearing smiles. I was never necessarily one of those kids who took the whole "you are the future" speech seriously when I was a kid, but the reality is that in a lot of ways it is true. This generation in my opinion, lacks the unity and awareness to effectively combat those in seats of authority that are shitting on this world, and religion has a lot to do with that. When there are hundreds of millions of people who essentially perceive life as this game of "be good so you can live forever in paradise", global dominance is relatively easy. People are focused on living forever in death, instead of creating paradise here, and we very well could. I don't believe in utopias; there would always be problems, conflict, etc, but we could be at a point where those things were nearly eradicated by comparison to what we have now.

The attention has to shift from "I need to be saved because I'm afraid of death", to "I need to contribute as much as possible before I die". You'd think with these people being "religious", that they wouldn't be so fucking selfish and live with the mentality exemplified in the latter, but it's usually the first. Ironically enough, it's the people who believe that they are genuinely fucked from the get-go who spend their lives sacrificing for people to not only live longer, but to live with purpose and integrity. So as far as "respect" goes... my policy for religious people is the same as anyone else: Earn it. Contribute to more than your gods, stand for more than just your self-serving bullshit, and walk through the shadows with people who will respect you more than the assholes who think they walk in the light. I don't owe you shit because you can get on your knees and beg, because I do all of these things without needing a guarantee that my death is sunshine and rainbows.

So you need religion to be kind ?
    Basically what you are saying is that, you are only a kind person because you are afraid of god. Kindness does exist without religion, it is in the very core of the human race. We just need to accept the world as it is, a beatifull and a random place. And you create the meaning you want for your life. You are free of doing what you want, if it doesn't hurt others in any way.

17. I don't respect anyone who makes large claims and presents no evidence. 

I also hold contempt for religious officials who have, for so long made a living off of lying to children and treeifying them. These are people who deserve nothing more than hatred and disgust. 

18. Linkin Park's success is proof god doesnt exist