Fan Is Too Loud

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by the420owl, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Just bought the six inch max fan. And it's loud as a mothafucka. Tips or little DIY's to reduce the noise anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Better fan or a fan speed controller. Slowing it down is kind of a big downer.

The quiet ones are expensive.

3. @[member="snoopdog6502"] what would you recommend for a quiet fan?  I'm upgrading to 600w HPS and was about to buy the VenTech 6" fan from Amazon.

4. Too loud for what? Who is going to hear it? Just keep people away from it.

Some sound like a vaccume cleaner stuck wide open .Cheapo or wrong fan. Not something relaxing.

6. Oh you need to sleep. Ok, just wear ear plugs. I thought that you were paranoid that somebody would hear a fan in a closet or something.

7. Easy fix.

8" ducting 12" long (Get the one that comes flat and you have to roll it and tuck it in the seam.)
    Egg  crate style foam
    Glue
    2-6" to 8" reducers

Glue the egg crate to the ducting making sure the two sides will meet when rolled up. Then roll it and tuck it. Add the reducers to the ends. Now you have a muffler. Put your newly made muffler at the end of your exhaust run and all will be quiet.

8. It will be hard to effectively reduce noise without reducing cfm because fact of the matter is that moving air is a loud thing.

9. I'm totally used to it already lol. Thank you guys though

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

I have a couple of Hyper Fans, they can be pricey but they are smaller than most and they come with a fan controller.

I know you said you're fine with it Owl, but for others who have are still looking for ways to reduce fan noise, here is my prototype fan box.

[​IMG]

11. Hey guys! So I just built this box today out of MDF board to help soundproof my inline fan...tell me what you think and do you see any reason at all why this would be a bad idea? The inline fan is thermally protected but I still have concerns about putting an electrical item inside of a box inside of a closet. Goes against everything I was taught in school lol but I've seen other people do this all over the Internet and on here.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445133989.525480.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445134007.008590.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445134028.815516.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1445134046.730543.jpg

12. I know it's and old post but anyone have any idea if it makes a difference which direction the "crates" should be? Well now that I think of it, in sound proof rooms the "crates" are facing out, so I guess they should face in towards the ducting? Then was thinking to tape it down to make it more manageable!? We'll see tomorrow!

13. I made a horrible attempt at a box for my fan! Much props on yours, hope it's working well!?

14. It's been working great!

15. Going to wrap my ducting today to help out there, will attempt another box in a few weeks possibly lol.

16. If you'd like I can give you step by step diy for that box...I would also recommend buying some cheap sound foam. It's pricey but on Amazon you can get 12 12"x12" squares of it for like $15. I put them underneath the box the fan is in to reduce vibration on the wire shelf and the rest I just put randomly where I thought it'd help and in my opinion it has helped quite a bit. I suppose I could put that foam inside the box with the fan too, but I just decided against it because what I have right now is working

17. You could also very easily make a duct silencer. If your fan is 6" get a 12" long piece of 10" ductwork, line it with the soundproof foam and put a reducer on either end to connect the one side to the fan and the other to the exhaust