First Time Grow - 600W Hps - Easy Ryder And Rq Critical

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MD to NC, Jul 15, 2014.

1. #1 MD to NC, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    Whats up everyone. Been reading alot here and decided it was time to give it a go. I've never grown before so feel free to comment, or give advice. It will be greatly appreciated.

My setup:
    -2 easy ryder feminized auto seeds (Herbies)
    -Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil (Amazon)
    -2 two gallon pots (Lowes)
    -Homemade light fixture with 6x26w daylight CFLs then switch to 2700's for flower. (Lowes/Walmart)

I'm growing in the corner of a walk in closet. I did some test runs with the lights on, and temps seem to be between 78-84 degrees. I know HPS would be better at least for flower, but I don't want to spend the $$ to control the heat it will create. I will probably use it on my next grow since it will be closer to fall/winter. Again, don't hesitate to comment, ask questions, or give advice. Pics will follow. Thanks!

2. IMAG0424.jpg IMAG0426.jpg IMAG0427.jpg
    ordered from herbies on 7/5. arrived to east cost on 7/14. seemed like it took forever lol. here's some pics of the package and my freebies. i was going to do 1 easy and 1 critical, but figured it would be smart to do 2 of the same for my first grow.

3. IMAG0429.jpg IMAG0430.jpg IMAG0431.jpg
    7/14 12pm. put my newly acquired seeds in moist paper towels to germ.

4. IMAG0432.jpg IMAG0433.jpg
    Here's of few pics of my homemade CFL light fixture. 6x26w daylight bulbs.

5. IMAG0434.jpg IMAG0435.jpg IMAG0436.jpg IMAG0437.jpg

7/15 12pm seeds popped! :yay: seemed like it took forever (I'm impatient) even though it was only 24hrs. I filled my pots with FFOF and watered them until I saw some runoff. I'm using well water which is coming in pretty close to 6.5 on ph so I think I'm good using it the entire grow. I probably wont use any nutes until flowering (tiger bloom). I think/hope the FFOF will provide what I need until then. Now comes another long wait. I will update once I see some action. Until then, feel free to chime in.  :smoking:

6. #6 MD to NC, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
    225 views and 0 replies in 6 hours, guess I'm doin everything right lol. I'm as impatient on the forums as I am waiting for these damn beans to break surface.

7. Temps dropped to 73 last night so I've decided to put the lights on them to warm things up a bit. Hopefully I will see some action today.

8. Keep those cfls super close man

9. Yea right now I've got them about 18" away, just to provide some warmth before they sprout. Temps hanging around the mid 80's. But once I see leaf I'll be sure to get real close. Thanks.

10. Not a problem man we are all learning

11. You want to keep them much closer when they sprout, within a foot for sure but maybe not closer than 6-8". CFLs have to be really close to be effective. there is always the hand test, ie if its too hot on your hand its too hot for the plant is a good rule of thumb to go by.

12. Finally some action!!![​IMG]Woke up this morning and both seed broke soil! One is progressing a little faster then the other (same one that cracked its shell first) and is fully out, the other is just barely out. Here's a few pics of my progress. I moved the lights a lot closer then the pics show. Got em around 8" away. Temps are ranging from 77-81 with 50%RH. Feel free to comment, question, or give advice. My only question at this point is should I move the lights closer? Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

13. I usually have them within 2 inches from the plant it works great

14. Do you keep them that close right away(sprout) or wait a couple days after they've been established?

15. If you can keep temps down the closer the better

16. moved the lights to about 3". thanks

17. Any tips on how you made that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. I took a 24" piece of galvanized duct from lowes. its already precut, just have to bend it into shape. cut 2 pieces of wood to resemble a half circle. the hard part was nailing them to the outsides. got a 4-socket bathroom light fixture.(they come in 6 too), and some chain. drilled holes for chain and zip tied the fixture to the inside. wired the fixture to a piece of wire i cut from an old power strip. got some Y-adapters and bulbs and volia! Let me know if you have any other questions. 

19. Day 2

Nothing really new. Plant 1 is much further along then the other one.(still thinking of names for them) I'm guessing "Day 1" is when the sprout shows its first set of true leaves(please correct me if I'm wrong) Anywayz, here's a couple pics...

Attached Files:

20. Thanks I just started my grow I'm gonna have to build this so I can quit using my lamp haha