Amending Soil Bought By The Yard

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Organic_Disciple, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Would you ammend soil bought by the yard that's mixed the same way you would bag soil? Seems a bit richer by visual. Maybe just because your getting more ingredient label. Because 27 cu ft for 100 bucks seems allot cheaper then trying to build from scratch. Id just be worried about making it too hot. But if left to cook long enough I wouldn't have to worry correct? As long as I stuck to the or less then 3 cups per ft rule.

Sent from my PG86100 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Is this topsoil or sumpin from yer local landscape contractor?

3. Straight local organic planting soil. But it just seems really diverse/amended soil. Maybe I'm just intimidated by it because of the amendments it says it already has in it. But bag soil has it too. But I can't beat the price for 130 a cu yard. I'll grab an example

4. "you looking for the best grow soil ever this is it. Premium blend consists of three types of compost, cow manure, 30% Coco Coir, Peat Moss, 33% Perlite, worm castings, 5 calcium micro nutrient sources, humic fulvic acid, pounds of Fish Meal, Feather Meal, Bone Meal, Nitro Bat Guano, Phosphorus Bat Guano, Arcadian Sea Kelp. We are this areas bulk dealer of Nor Cal Soil Builders exclusive blend. All sales and deliveries are in house no third parties. We sell this by the yard. Remember its not all about the ingredients but also about the amounts and concentrations"

This is a ad. For general idea

5. #5 CanadianOrganic, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    Damn, that looks really nice. Lucky bastard.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. I'd likely buy it if time or labor is a concern. You can make your own for cheaper but you save a lot of labor this route.

I'd still add some rock dust, a little kelp and splurge for the neem seed....amazingly useful materials that I would try to never run out of or not utilize if possible.

7. I have yet to find out how to build 27 cu ft of soil for 100-130 dollars with those amendments lol. Or even close.

Lucky bastard? Lol. Why's that?

8. #8 CanadianOrganic, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    Haha just cause its friggin mad cheap and all those ammendments are so hard to find up here -.-

Actually the only one I have trouble finding is kelp meal, but either way.

9. Gotcha lol. Sorry to hear that though :-/

10. Yeah its a pain in the butt.
    But eBay to the rescue!

11. This is getting allot of view but Jo answers! Lol

12. It's a good thing and cheap if ............

Do you have a wheelbarrow? Contractor size, not those little dinky yard things, one that will hold 2cf easily. You WILL need this, dealing with a cy of anything. Unless you have a Bobcat or front end loader.

Storage? Either a big pile in the yard, 40+ 5 gallon buckets, or ~7-32 gallon trash cans, or something similar. Storage is something you need to get worked out first. I did the big pile in the yard, but it was also just limestone screenings and the weather didn't affect it all that much. Basically, a big sand pile. A blended mix I would want to protect from the elements.

That needs to be taken care of first. You can amend as needed as much as needed once you're situated.

Wet

13. Yes. I currently have 2 large street trash cans I don't use. I'm going to use them for storage of the soil to cook.

14. This will hold over 200 gallons of soil? Things must be huge. LOL

But still, if they will work, great.

It's a good idea, you just need to be prepared for this amount when it gets dumped. A small dump truck load for sure, but still a dump truck load.

Then, you work with it a wheelbarrow full at a time. You'll see.

Wet

15. Dam. 200 gallon? Okay. Maybe I need 1 more trash cans lol

16. Well, a CY=27CFx7.5 gal/cf=202.5 gallons.

A LOT of dirt.

Wet

17. Can't wait :)

18. When you're thinking about the amendments to add to this amount of soil, dont forget the aeration. No matter how well amended you get it, it wont work very well if its dense and heavy. 

j

19. Just realized its gonna need at least 7 but I'll probably do 9 cu ft of it.

20. That is a fuckton of perlite/vermiculite/whatever. Lmfao