1St Timer With Hydro Questions

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by PnkFloid, Jul 14, 2014.

1. I'm about 5 weeks into growing White Widow & still in veg. I currently have 7 plants in my tray & I'm using a 265 watt LED running at 18/6. Pretty soon I plan on switching to the flowering stage. I have a few different halogen hoods & was wondering what the best wattage to use would be. Also would like opinions on this 24-36 hr dark period b4 changing the lights. Or what about this gradual 2 hour change before I go 12/12? Should I go gradual & if so how long between intervals? I've read lower 2 hours at a time but have heard 2 different opinions. One said lower 2 hours/day until I hit 12/12 & I've also read 2 hours every 3-4 days. I know I'm asking alot but I'd like to figure out how to get the best results as far as yield & potency. I hope to get some opinions from experienced growers who've been doin this awhile. Especially ne1 who has grown this strain b4. Also just got a clone bucket & would like to know how, when, & where to clip from. I've had a friend helping but he's not very experienced with hydro systems. I'd appreciate ne & all help I can get.

2. ive tryed both, just changing to 12 12, and 30 hrs of dark first  didnt see any major difference

3. #3 GoldGrower, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    Imo you would be wasting time gradually elongating the dark period. Just change over to 12/12 and the first 12 hour dark period will have it in the flowering phase. Giving it more dark hours won't make it flower more. It's either flowering or vegging, simple as that.

I have grown white widow several times but strain's growth habits just don't vary enough to justify any strain specific grow advice.

When I cut clones I like to cut 5" shoots, and cut the lower leaves off leaves around 2-3 of the top ones so it looks like this 

[​IMG]

4. Thanks guys. When I switch over to flowering, what size lights should I use since I'll be done with the LED? I have a few diff sizes I bought off sum1 awhile back. Btw, when would be the best time to cut the clones off?

5. Use the biggest lights and the most you can use without the temperature getting too high. What lights do you have available? 

Your plants are 5 weeks old, they should have plenty of branches to take by now 

6. the more watts the better as long as there is proper air circulation and you can keep things cool enough. obviously, you can over-do the watts if you are using a small area. iirc, you want a minimum of 50 watts per square foot.

i personally do not agree with the 24-36 hours dark period when switching over to flowering. i've read about it and i get the idea behind it but it just seems strange to me. where in nature do plants get 24-36 hours straight of darkness before the photo period changes them to flowering? nowhere. so i don't do it either.

you could gradually change the photo period light cycle if you wanted but that is pretty much irrelevant. immediately changing the photo period to 12-12 doesn't harm or shock the plant so gradually changing it will just slow down the grow.

as for cloning, take clones from the vegging plant (not a flowering one). i like to feed the plant and wait a day and then take clones so i know they have some nutrients in them already. i've read taking them from the top is better, but i've read the opposite as well so i'm not too sure. personally, i just take the ones that look good and level out the plant more. i've had success with both so i don't think it's a big issue. in reference to how to take clones, it's a long explanation and it'd probably be better to go read some more details about it (plus i'm too lazy to outline the whole process here, sorry).

7. Thanx alot Greennewb. I appreciate the advice & time. This is my 1st grow EVER! That being said, I'm open to any & all help/advice/suggestions. The friend who's been helping isn't a pro.

8. I find fast growing branches (usually at the top) root fastest, but they will all root eventually. And as @[member="greennewb"] said, just take the branches from the donor plant that evens out what's left

9. Got another question about clones. I was planning on veg for 1 more week. Can I cut the clones anytime before I switch to flower. I heard that it can be done up until the day before but I wanna know for sure. And I also read that I should put the nutes in the day before. Is that true? Is that a day before the cut or a day before flowering starts? Does that matter?
    Got another question about clones. I was planning on veg for 1 more week. Can I cut the clones anytime before I switch to flower. I heard that it can be done up until the day before but I wanna know for sure. And I also read that I should put the nutes in the day before. Is that true? Is that a day before the cut or a day before flowering starts? Does that matter?

10. Btw, I have a good 6 plants going & I want to take 16 clones. Any advice from experienced ppl greatly appreciated.

It doesn't matter, you can take clones up to a few weeks in to flower, although taking them while in veg is better. The nutrient content of the donor plant makes no difference to the clones as long as it's at a healthy level 

If you have a hydro or aero cloner you really can't go wrong. I made this one and get 100% success rate 

£11 DIY 6 Site Cloner: http://youtu.be/JPAgNBBHkqA

13. Hello , waiting to get my big buddha box :))) 78 plant vertical hydro any suggestions on stain I would like heavy to moderate yield ?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum