My First Grow... Am I Off To A Good Start?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by OwnyJony, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Greetings grasscity community, I have been reading so many great post on this website in the past weed that I decided to get in on the action.  I made a little grow room under my basement steps, I installed a taotronics 45x 3 90w light.  I got the light from some guy on craigslist for a sack of danklicious treats.  Pretty damn good trade in my opinion?! I also have 3 40 watt cfls around the sides of the grow area.  I put white sheets up on the walls and white sheet from the bottom of the stairs to the ground to form a nice grow box.  I currently have a bag seed that just sprouted chilling under the leds.  He is planted in some organic potting soil I got from the Mennonite nursery. lol The guy who sold me the light claimed he had a bunch of good feminized seeds left over from previous grows, he claimed they were sour diesel.  I figured id offer him 10 bucks for the 7 seeds he had left.  That way if they are seeds from his last bag of schwag I wont be too disappointed.  I soaked 4 of the "sour diesel" seeds in water for 24 hours then planted them 1/4 inch down in promix bx,  I put a humidity dome over the 4 seeds and they are hanging out in my grow room off to the side.  I am hoping to get 2-3 good plants out of these 4 seeds and if not I have the sk1 seedling growing which will keep me busy until I get new seeds, that being if these don't grow.  He gave me the seeds in a little plastic vile that was hot glued together. I plan on using promix bx as my medium for the grow. 

Any comments, tips or thoughts on my noobish setup would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jonah

2. I use promix bx, good shit. What do you plan on using for nutrients?

I love trading bud for equipment but I don't know shit about LED's, 90w seems pretty small though. Should be fine for your first grow, got any pics?

3. Hey man sorry it took me so long to get back on here. I am now at the end of week two and the two seeds I started two weeks ago seen to be doing pretty good. One thing I noticed is my plants really aren't stretching upward nearly as much as they are growing out. Is this a problem or a good thing? And my leaves are constantly curling down for some reason that I can't seem to figure out. They are in promix bx with a 90w ufo and some cfls for side lighting. Your opinions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

How is my progress?

Sent from my HTC One X using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

4. I am on my first grow as well and mine is 18 days old. She is doing the same thing she is only 6" tall but over 10" wide!! I think it's awesome I have topped her twice already too. IMO you should get a little more lighting. I don't know about LEDs but 90w seems low to me. Once it gets bigger it will want more.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Doesn't look too healthy, I'd say they're overwatered. What else is in there besides pro-mix, and in what ratio?
    I use promix/compost/perlite 1:1:1 myself, full recipe is in my journal.

From what I've seen, LED and CFL tend to produce shorter plants with less spacing between nodes. Not a bad thing especially if you are going to be flowering with those lights as they don't penetrate very far. I consider my 250w hps to be a low-powered light, get about 8" of solid bud and everything below that is fluff, so I use different methods with a low-powered light than I do with say, my 1kw which has far more penetration.

Somebody bumped one of my old builds in the diy section if you want to check it out. That's pretty much exactly how I'd do it with any low-powered light.

6. 3/4 promix 1/4 organic potting soil from the Mennonite nursery. How often should I water these guys? And besides the over watering are they okay?

How often you water depends on how well drained your soil is, your climate, plant size, pot size, etc. I go 4-5 days between waterings at that size, but I use much bigger pots and a very well-drained soil. (40% perlite)

Best method IMO is to feel the weight of the pot when it's dry, water it, and take note of the difference. Next time you think it needs water just lift the pot and feel the weight. Too heavy, doesn't need water.

"Overwatering" simply means that the roots aren't getting enough oxygen. Plants that are grown hydroponically aren't overwatered because oxygen is added to the water. Same thing with soil, when you add perlite to your soil mix, it's just like adding oxygen to a hydro system. No oxygen/perlite = stunted plants.

8. #8 OwnyJony, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014

Attached Files:

9. I just posted some pictures to give you an update. I'm watering every 4 days or as needed. I transplanted to 3 gallon buckets of pure promix bx with mycorizha. And the plants aren't as wilted and curled as before but they are still rough and droopyish. I have been misting them to add some humidity. They are 10 days old since germination. Any recommendations? Grow room is always 73-75 degrees they are currently under light 24/7.

10. I got a question for you. I currently have 1 seed germinating, and it should be ready to plant tomorrow.

I am keeping it in a dark shed, with tin foil over it. Once I can see the plant starting to come up I am moving it outside.

It is 100F outside where I live. Is that bad for it, or going to effect it? I figure I am just going to need to water it more often, but that is not a big deal.

Its my first plant and only seed, I will probably fuck it up, but might as well ask!

11. if I were you I'd just start a grow journal for your first grow, any questions will be answered by the people on this site. I'm a noob too so I'm not too sure what the answers to your questions are. Wish I could help ya. And you can find all that information on the forums. Peace good luck