Pot Luck: Berkeley Dispensaries Now Required To Give Free Marijuana To The Poor

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Earth Ling, Jul 11, 2014.

1.  The Federal Government DOES NOT care about the legalization they're just not saying anything about it. The states are the only ones who reinforce the laws. You never hear a Fed capture of just weed. Unless it's a big cartel operation.

2. Oh shit, retirement here I come!

3. my point is that its called serving the community. Im sure 99% of dispensary owners are money hungry and probably don't give a shit, and frankly if they want to operate and make huge margins, they can afford to give frer "medicine" to the "lower socioeconomic sickly."

Call it what you want but if you let people do what they want how they want it, there WILL be people who abuse the system.

But who decides the what YOU call "serving the community" is what business owners HAVE to do??  Why do you feel that is your right to force them to do what YOU think is right?? 

I hope most business owners are in it for a profit!  If you don't care about making a profit, why do you go to the trouble of building a business?  Because I assure you, it is not easy like so many of you think it is.  If they choose to go into a business that makes huge margins, who are you to say they can "afford" to do something according to YOUR standards.  If you want to do that, by all means, go into the same business and give away whatever you want to!  But what gives you the right to force that on somebody else?

Your last statement is one that I would apply to the ones you think should get a free ride. There will be abusers of that system.  They will come out of the woodwork.  They will make more and more demands on the system, because so many of you think that they should be entitled to whatever they want. 

You want to help people?  Go fucking earn the money, then give it away.  Don't give away mine.  Give away yours. 

5. you seem to think you know how capital budgeting works, and yet you're asking me why people should have to follow laws? I don't man just abide by them.

My understanding is that this thread was posted to elicit discussion about this particular new law.  If you don't want to talk about the pros and cons of this, why are you posting?  If you believe all laws should be just followed, go for it.  But why post here???  Just go abide by them...

Have you ever seen Schindlers List???  They decided to just abide by the law also...

7. I posted my view on it over the last 2 pages...feel free to read them

8. I have read them. I don't like or agree with them. So I was debating you. Then you decided to claim that since the law has been passed, any argument against it was null and void.

That is not a valid argument, is it?

9. I simply agreed with the presidence behind....

Not like they're requiring them to forfeit enough to affect their bottom line.

10. The Federal budget? You mean them giving money away. Half the united states coffers are owned by another country. So our money isn't worth shit anyway. What are they funding. The military who's doing nothing but dying? The schools, who don't have supplies or updated books? Fuck man, Where does our money go? Where does that secret lie? I don't think anyone know. The money just doesn't exist

11. But you seem unwilling to debate it, or answer my questions. You just agree that forcing others to give away something that is theirs is a "good idea".

As far as the amount required...that is not the issue! Who decides how much is too much? You don't have that knowledge, neither do I. How does the city counsel know? Would ten percent be "too much"? Fifty? Shouldn't it be up to the individual??

I have another business. Its in the food sector. There are lots of years, because margins are so small, that giving away 1% of my product would mean giving up the entire years profits. See, they have to cover all costs with the other 99%. Granted, margins may currently be big enough that 1% won't hurt them, but what happens when that changes? I bet the brilliant city planners in Berkley won't change this asinine law!

Ok...I'm not saying that this isn't worthy of discussion. But this isn't the right thread...this is about a government forcing people to support a charitable cause against their will.

12. Alright i'll put my word in. I think that we all are somewhat forced to pay for unecessary things. Like church you said before. If you make a decent living they usually expect you to give some of your money away. I've seen this happen in smalll buisnesses. Imagine all the money the NFL makes and they barely donate anything to charity, But we have to under the circumstances, that we should be supporting something that has really nothing to do with us,

It's not like we can't. It depends on the cause. We're basically paying for everyone on welfare right. The people who don't get jobs because they're lazy dirtbags. I agree with disability(Everyone should). I don't fully agree with any cheap alternative health care programs. Once again using the money the government doesn't have to support the people who don't need it. They're not selective enough. They don't pay attention to a public. They expect everyone to do exactly what they want them to do. But that isn't the case,

13. #53 STilladelph, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
    they'd know because they have access to whats called financial statements. Ya know those things businesses need to submit at least once a year.

If you're so passionate about legal, unregulated weed, why are you mad about the government making BUSINESSES give away the product to the less fortunate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Many professions do this.

Doctors
    Lawyers
    Religious figures

Its called pro bono and its good PR

15. I doubt very seriously that the city council read the financial statements. Have you? In my experience, politicians are less than adept at reading business financial statements.

Your last paragraph makes no sense to me. Since I'm so passionate about legal weed, why WOULD I be in favor of the government forcing ANYBODY to give away weed (or any other product)? You think because they are evil businesses they should be forced to give up their product, right?

Its funny that you use religious figures as am example of someone donating time to charitable causes. They usually are the charitable cause...

Regardless, the professions that do this do it on a voluntary basis. They are certainly not forced to do out by the government. That is the real difference. Do you not see the difference?

16. Not that I don't agree with your stance on the topic, lawyers are required to do pro bono work for a certain amount of time after the bar exam. I believe it at least a year.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

17. 1.) Since we are not speaking of a specific company, im going to say no I have not read their fin. Reports.

2.) Its kinda funny you're for legalization all out, and unregulated sale, without the basic knowledge of how big business in commodity markets like this can corner the market and gouge prices once they've become the AT&T of weed. Thats why we have minimum sales prices for cigarettes in the US.

3.) I used religious figure as a rough example....I don't know if you're too young to have ever burried someone but its not cheap.

3.) Yes they are being forced by the government, but guess what, its still a schedule 1 drug! You wanna sell it and change the publics mindset and the morala behind it, dont sit behind the counter and nickle and dime sick people, who are really the only ones going into a dispensary anyway.

They're caregivers not drug dealers, remember this

18. If cannabis was legal it's a plant that can be grown everywhere. If it was fully legal as well as production. Then nobody would by buying weed unless their mommy and daddy doesn't want them too.

19. And if the sky rained skittles the world would be a better place.

But it doesnt work that way unfortunately

20. Plus, not everyone likes skittles ;)