Legal Pot Stores Open To Joyous Shoppers

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by well highdrated, Jul 10, 2014.

Ok, same scenario but street price is $10/g and "legal" stores are $26/g.  If you can still buy street for 10, why do you care that I or someone else will pay 26 in a legal store?  How does it affect YOU?

2. Weed is literally a weed
    The only reason for the price to ever get high was because of the risk involved in growing it and it's scarcity
    Legalisation should mean we eventually pay what we pay for oregano or spinach or some shit
    Man fuck the politicians in this world, can't do shit for anybody without getting greedy about it

It is state approved price gouging.  Try that with any legal business and you get nailed to a cross.

4. Its the states lack of speed licensing growers AND the growers that are licensed who are gouging the fuck out of the retail stores. There is an extremely low supply for the whole state and considering harvest season is around September-early October it will be for a couple months. This was the worst time to open the stores, no one was really ready. Give it some time people. The stores that are open right now are in it for a quick buck and won't make it in the long run charging those prices, especially once more growers are licensed and retail shops open. As far as homegrows are concerned, almost guaranteed to be the first amendment to the initiative.

5. And getting the law modified to allow cultivation AFTER the state and the industry has been given a license to steal isn't easier said than done?  Get real man.  I think if you had been at this for 30 years, you might understand.  How fucking difficult was it for CO to add a personal cultivation clause?  At 52, if I'm a whipper snapper, I guess that would make you an infant.

The politics of CO I'm sure is much different than WA. Maybe this might come to a surprise to you, but only around 14% of the US population smokes weed. It's the non smokers we have to win over to get the vote. In Florida, sadly, it was polled that a medical program with an option for home grows wouldn't pass. You gotta work with what you got the best you can. At your age, you should already know this.

7. So how did that play into WA getting fucked over?  Are the politics of WA that much different than say, Oregon and Alaska?  They both have cultivation rights in their upcoming initiatives.  "Much different" is pretty broad - is it a democrat/republican difference, a religious thing, racial issues, law enforcement, or perhaps does it just boil down to special interests hoodwinking the voters? 

In this case, all you have is something that other interests did the work on and put in front of you to say yes or no to - doesn't look to me like you did your best at working on anything.  That can be really annoying to some folks of my age, but I'll tolerate it just to help out the misguided youth :laughing:  

I heard the stoners of WA were singing an old Gordon Lightfoot song on opening day when reality set in:

"Sometimes I think it's a sin
    When I feel like I'm winnin' when I'm losin' again."

What is the point you're trying to make again?

Which is not different than any other "sin" taxes such as on tobacco and alcohol. 

10. The way the legalization of marijuana is rolling out in Washington State shows to me how many over-idealistic and short-sighted people there are.

11. The same fucking thing happened in CO! Give it some time, damn people.....

12. I'm seeing how many stoners there are out there complacent enough to sit and take cheap shots at budding legalization, however ratty around the edges it may still be. "Too Kool to Legalize," amirite?

13. #53 Jerzeslugga, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
    CO's system was entirely different though..medical dispensaries could open up as recreational if they wanted..

Look at the way WA State does the licensing for growers...

Personally I think WA could've gotten a far better bill....but obviously looking back, more people voted for the "we can change it later" option.

I hope Oregon is paying attention and aren't trying to pass a bill like Washington's.

Either way as a former Washington resident I hope they're getting on the ball and trying to come up with alternatives. LEO may not be cracking down now but when those politicans see the tax money isn't rolling in then I think they'll pressure the LEO to crackdown on homegrows and street dealers. People seem to forget that WA was just about to nix the medical side as well, last fall. Wonder what happens when they realize more and more people buying from people who shop at the dispensaries,or grow for them?

The tax rate and the legal status of those items are entirely different than the way marijuana is dealt with in Washington State.

A somewhat similar rate would be 25$ a pack of cigarettes, with no discount on cartons. And sometimes it's like you get a pack of Dural.

15. From a complete outsider's point of view I feel that Colorado has the better model at the moment. If a referendum here in the UK arose for legalisation I would vote yes even if it was a shitty one. I would then campaign on improving it once passed. 

16. I'm not sure the term "legalization" should be applied to WA.  How "legal" is it when the result is prices way higher than the street, the state acting as a silent middleman collecting about 40% of sales and people are restricted from growing their own?  I think the fact that the state immediately started shaking their big dick in the faces of the medical patients following passage of the no-grow I-502 reinforces what's really going on.

Frankly, I don't think there's enough people in WA pissed off about this to do anything about it, much less come up with the enormous funding it would take to get it on the ballot.  Big money bankrolled I-502 and they're going to protect it.  I think the best chance at changing anything is to boycott the stores and let them wilt on the vine.

17. Holmes, 58, got carded by a cashier before he paid $80 for four grams of a potent strain with 21.5 percent THC, the main psychoactive chemical in pot.

Potent my ass!! He got ripped. I pay $55 for 4 grams of 28%THC.

18. It's legal because you can walk into a shop, hand over money and leave in possession of cannabis without the threat of arrest. I agree that people should be able to grow their own and store prices will eventually come down. I'm sure if you ever took an economics or business class you'd know about price elasticity of demand, which is why store prices are so high at the moment. People can speak to their elected representatives, hold protests and so on to gain support for bettering I-502 to allow for home growing, lowering the tax and removing some restrictions on businesses. Big money may realise there's money to be made in seed sales, equipment and so on, so they may end up in favour of allowing home grows.

19. Yeah, somehow that's not quite how I see it.  I doubt that those that own the money tree orchards would be overly eager to sell the magic seeds.  If people want seeds or equipment, they can already get in online or the local store.

20. They haven't.  This same debate/argument was held when CO stores opened. :(