Blackstrap Molasses?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by CanadianOrganic, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Does it have to be unsulfered blackstrap? The shitty little town I'm living in literally has nothing. All I can find is 'Organic Blackstrap Molasses' at Walmart. If so not a problem I'll just have to find unsulfered somewhere.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 lFourTwenty, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
    Most of what you find in the store is unsulphured 

Edit: I have never seen molasses in the store that is not unsulphured

3. Thanks man. Had to make sure
    :)

4. that will be fine im sure.. organic... blackstrap.. and molasses part all sound really really good to me, especially if in the food section @walmart.

5. Oh yeah, figured since it was for cooking I'd be good.

6. #7 CanadianOrganic, Jul 10, 2014
    Thanks, Lok. :)

7. #8 Gandalf_the_Green, Jul 10, 2014

Sulfur itself is good for plants (in the right amounts).  However, "sulfured" molasses contains Sulfur Dioxide, which is HORRIBLE for both plants and microbes.  Sulfur dioxide is the compound in Acid Rain..... obviously acid rain is not good for plants (see attached picture).

Potassium is good for plants, but Potassium Hydrochloride will kill your plants in seconds.  Phosphorus is good, but I don't think there's a single grower here who would use Phosphoric Acid on their plants.

Get unsulfured molasses, or even better yet..... get Organic Agave Nectar

Attached Files:

8. Ha true true tho in uk im pretty sure we can only get like one sprt of molassas widely and thats lyles black syrup doesnt say if it is or isnt unsulpha so not sure tho my plants never complained :)

auto help page http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1294434-Need-help-with-autos?-Welcome

new vote page http://www.dutch-passion.nl/en/photovote/2014-04-05-autoxtreme%C2%AE-loki_1624/

In the US, sulfured molasses generally has to say that it is sulfured (allergy reasons)..... any molasses that doesn't say either way, is unsulfured.  Still inferior to Agave Nectar, Yucca, or Aloe, but certainly acceptable.

10. #12 Gandalf_the_Green, Jul 10, 2014

Sorta...... Agave is a succulent plant, like aloe.  It is the plant (primarily) used in the production of tequila.  They simply cut the pina (more or less, the heart) of the plant, and drain the sap from it.  The sap can be fermented and distilled to produce tequila.  Or it can be filtered and only minimally heated, to produce Agave Nectar.

Agave nectar is called aguamiel in Mexico, which means "honey water," so you weren't far off lol

Agave nectar, aloe, and yucca, all have much higher levels of minerals, amino acids, PGRs, phytohormones. etc.... than blackstrap molasses does, because they are much less processed than molasses is.

11. Something i keep meaning to ask i make molassas up with water 8n a bottle if it starts gassing is that no good to use is it bad obviosly means bacteria is breeding and eating sugar

auto help page http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1294434-Need-help-with-autos?-Welcome

new vote page http://www.dutch-passion.nl/en/photovote/2014-04-05-autoxtreme%C2%AE-loki_1624/

Well bacteria are (in the right amounts) great stuff.......  What was your goal mixing molasses with water?  If it was to "feed" the soil.... that's something I don't recommend (and most on here don't).  When you overload your soil with sugars, two things happen..... you get an overload of bacteria, to the detriment of fungi and protozoa..... also the bacteria are distracted from digesting and making nutrients available to your plant, and instead spend their time consuming and processing the sugars.

The only time I use molasses (and when it runs out, I will get agave nectar) is when I am making an Actively Aerated Compost Tea (AACT or ACT).  In that situation, the molasses is foodstock for the microbes, but is mostly consumed by the time you pour it on your soil.... so it's really just a microbe tea.

I mean.... everything I'm saying only applies if you're growing organically.  I'm a little high and can't remember off the top of my head if you grow organic or not.....  but in organic growing, flushing is pointless, and actually even counter-productive.  As for molasses..... in a grow using synthetic nutes.... I can't imagine what good molasses would do, but it probably doesn't hurt either.

Flushing removes the salt buildup.  Salts are only in synthetic nutes..... if your nutes are true organic, they shouldn't have any salts, so there shouldn't be any salt buildup.  I'm sure that coco grower you know uses synthetic nutes.

Perhaps you underwater typically, and the "flush" midway gives them a water boost lol..... I have no idea.... it's hard to argue with what you've observed, but in an organic soil, there's no scientific basis for flushing....

Look at your labels... look under the ingredients for the terms "nitrate" and "phosphate"..... with very few exceptions, those are salts.

15. Will do i dont do it for salt removal and i just have done since my auto x for some reason i it was cause inknew someone who used plant magic and did it so i have the plant magic is molassas based so unsure why i even use molassas haha dunno if i.under watwr deffo dont over water i drench and the let it dry till pots are light then i drench again