Knife For Hiking/camping?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by ThePolishPuertoRican, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Nice, my edc is the leatherman charge

I also carry a Gerber bear grylls scout folding blade. I hate bear grylls so much but I like that blade. Doesn't hold an edge very long though, but the ergonomics of the handle feels like holding my own penis

[​IMG]

2. Get an esse izula. Small fixed blade, lifetime no questions asked warranty, holds an edge, and can easily be given a new one. If you want a folder I would get a flat ground spyderco Delica 4

3. For camp, I'll bring my kukri. A Nepal made knife that is used for various tasks like wood chopping, batoning, and even used by Gurkha in ancient and modern wars. It could easily pierce armor and helmets at the time.
    But fucking great for wood! It's near indestructible, made from Mercedes leaf springs from a bobtail truck. I've hit concrete and barely chipped the edge.

On hikes, I'll bring that little pocket knife. Since I'll be using it to cut food at most.

[​IMG]

4. The KaBar is a COMBAT knife, it's not meant for kindling although it can be used for it, it's meant for fighting and self protection

5. I learned that the hard way.... I took the tip off of my finger with a KaBar

6. Leatherman Wave. It weighs 5 pounds but it can do alot of shite, including filing your nails.

7. I lose all my leatherman somehow.

8. both are overkill for a hike, but I bring one of them.
    [​IMG]

9. I recently got the kershaw burst 1970 and im loving it and have been using it for EDC. It has assisted opening and if you go campingg and stuff i recommend getting the model with the serration[​IMG]

~sent from formans basement in point place wisconsin~

10. stevenhyde, that folder is fine for food prep while camping, but for wood splitting or tinder making, hatchet axe or large fixed blade is more useful.
    And personally I don't have any serrated knives, they bug me since I prefer setting my own bevel. Straight edge only for me.
    If im wanting to saw wood, I'd bring a folding saw that the Scandinavians make.

11. Buy your Knives now
    I heard they are the new Guns
    I always like a cheap BUCK on the waist.
    But dam I would love a custom made knife someday

12. #32 Snowball35, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2016
    I usually use any knife from the Bear grylls line of fishing/ hunting knives. I got them as a gift a few years ago. They haven't let me down yet. If I broke or lost one I would replace with same kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app[​IMG]. This is my favorite one.

13. I was gonna suggest a fat thick Gerber with a rubber grip handle and thumb grip on the top of the blade. I carry one and I've had it for about 8 yrs and it has never let me down. Gerber is good about having interchangeable handles too. Had it so long can't remember the exact product numbers but they're tough as nails. And hold a great edge. Good for everything from processing game to chopping down small trees. Highly recommend Gerber. I was a KBAR fan till I was turned onto Gerber by a good outdoorsman friend of mine and I don't work for the company or anything but I can't say enough about the lasting quality of their knives. Check them out! Good luck.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. if you do some research at the knife forums, it appears gerber is not a quality company anymore. Their old knives were praised, not today.

Esee makes a great outdoor knife.

Make sure you do your research of what exact knife you want, there's no all around knife. There's different blade shapes and materials for depending on your needs.

I tend to like the semi customs. You can order them as is off the site, but will be made to order, and usually lifetime guarantee.

Busse knives actually tease you to abuse their knives, they will replace it no matter what.
    you can make a video of you breaking one in two with a jackhammer, and the owner WI literally thank you and send you another knife exactly like the one you had. They're super tough as you can imagine.

15. Dang that's awesome!

16. honestly I don't have much experience in the outdoor/survival knives but I know a little about what I am talking about. I took a wilderness survival class before and my guide swore by mora knives. I had to buy a knife for my class and I chose a buck alaskan guide series http://www.cabelas.com/product/camping/knives-tool... and he was really impressed by the quality and the steel that it was made from. If you are looking for a non-custom knife with s30v steel then you will love the quality of this knife...I used mine as an axe and it still is super sharp minus a small chip in the blade from being abusive from chopping. I have a keen interest in knives that can do a lot of work and still stay sharp. Take this info from someone who has been in the bush and appreciates a good knife but also has limited experience.

17. s 30 is a good steel, nearly as good as s35vn.

Both are a pain to sharpen though, but once sharp, it keeps it fairly well.

most of my pocket knives are s35vn.

18. If you want a really cheap knife that is of excellent quality look into Opinel they've been around for years and are great for outdoorsmen. They come in different sizes and range anywhere from 11$-30$ but if you want to spend a bit more i would look at kershaw knives with assisted opening. Assuming of course that those are legal in your area. Kershaw has some great EDC knives like the volt 2 and the burst 1970 those are both very common. And finally if youre looking for a multitool you can lt go wrong with a leatherman: theyre expensive but worth every penny. They have razor sharp blades and pliers, screwdrivers, bottle openers, small saw etc

-Sent from Zeta Reticuli starsystem-

19. I couldn't agree more. Folding knives are horrible for splitting wood because as I am sure you know, the pin could easily give out and fuck you over.

20. Just don't get a French Army Knife
    1454866966763.jpg