Who Has A Pax? Here Are Some Questions...

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by JayStreet, Jul 7, 2014.

1. I have had a pax for a few months now and have some questions:

1. When using the lube that comes from ploom, I get a sweet taste with my first few hits after a cleaning. I believe this is the lube heating up. It only happens on the heat few hit, so it makes sense it is the lube and not the buds. Anyone else experience this? Is there an alternative lube that can be used?

2. Is lube even necessary? The only thing I fear is that the two metal stems that connect (mouthpiece and body), could rub together and she's off pieces of metal...is this realistic?
    Why is the lube necessary? My pax works fine without lube! But is this safe?

3. Do you ever think that maybe pax is giving off any harmful chemicals since the mouthpiece and oven lid are made of some sort of plastic? I think that this plastic heating up might give off something harmful...

I TOTALLY understand the concern and is the reason that I much prefer an all glass air and vapor path, or as close to it as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  3. For a while I was very interested in the pax. It's portable and easy to conceal. But the abundance of plastic in it's design was one of a few reasons why I lost interest.

4. This is the only thing keeping me from owning a pinnacle pro.

Anyone know exactly what the "food-safe, water-soluble lubricant" is?

5. Something the FDA approved to be used near foods? Still it doesn't mean that it is completely harmless. Aluminium foil is food save. Except when you use acidic foods with it.

Same thing would happen to me when I would clean my Pax and put lube on the metal part of the mouthpiece. The lube IS necessary according to Ploom. I always put it on when I would clean my Pax because it makes the mouthpiece not stick when you push it down or pop it out. 

Apparently not using the lube makes it sticky so watch out if you're not using the lube. 

To answer your 3rd question, that didn't occur to me until I STOPPED using the Pax. I did noticed the oven lid get kinda hot as well as the mouthpiece when I would use it, but it wasn't until I backed off the Pax that I really thought about the plastic parts heating up and giving off fumes. 

Since then I've been on an MFLB and a Firewood.... both of those vapes I don't have any of those concerns with.

7. What do you like better? Are they made better? I only have pax but I'm bout to look into other vapes...I also hate cleaning pax, it's so simple but I use pax so much that it bothers me to clean every other day.

Lets see.... With the MFLB, I like that its:

- more efficient than the Pax
    - has waaaay less smell than the Pax (I can vape inside without bothering my wife with the smell)
    - Cleaning is a breeze (sweep it out after each use with the included brush. Do a deep clean once a week or 2 weeks)
    - has materials in it that don't make me question the vapor (made of mostly wood and the vapor path is very short)

With the Firewood, I like that its:

- again, more efficient than the Pax
    - has waaaay less smell than the Pax (but smells a bit more than the MFLB, but not by much)
    - easy to clean with the glass capsules and glass mouthpiece
    - has an all glass vapor path

The Pax is a great vape and it served its purpose in my first month of vaping. However there's a lot that I don't personally like about the Pax so I do give out biased information regarding it. Hence why I tell people to not listen to me when it comes to my Pax opinions lol. I hated the cleaning of the Pax as well, but you should clean out your vape after each use. And, that clean out should be extremely simple and quick to do. But if you're trying to move away from a Pax:

- Indica Vaporizer
    - Magic Flight Launch Box
    - Firewood 2.1
    - The Hammer
    - The Lotus

Indica vaporizer aside, everything else I listed costs under $150 roughly. The Indica I believe is $199.99. It works just like the Pax minus all the moving parts, so if you liked the style of vape the Pax is, then the Indica is the next closest thing. Beyond that, the other vapes I listed are manually controlled with 2 of them being butane powered.

9. I am using my PAX right now.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Do you need lube for the mflb? I don't like the living either of pax, both the taste and task bother me.

11. Everything you need (except the weed) comes with the mflb.  No lube required..

As @[member="Steams71"] said, no lube required. They give you a little brush to sweep out the trench and thats all you need. For a deep cleaning though (do it once every 2 weeks imo), some q-tips and 91% rubbing alcohol will do just fine. Just ask us how to do a deep clean before you do it... big hint, do it with the MFLB upside down so alcohol doesn't get into it.

13. This. I never stopped combusting when I was a Pax user, so I'm biased, but I also have the temp button issue and added with the cleaning I feel that it's a whole lotta effort for not a whole lotta gain. I'm much happier with the Solo as my primary and the Puffit being my traveler (although I usually just use my Solo- it's so darn good!)

14. The lube is safe it's a high grade food safe propylene glycol, and the purpose of using it would be to prevent your mouth piece from sticking inside of the unit when its off, trust me it happens. You'e g want to lube it every second cleaning or every cleaning depending on how much you use it and if it begins to rub metal on metal you'l h it and feel it. Just take a small paint brush and smear it all over and brush it down nicely and click the mouth piece In and out a few times. Enjoy.

15. Here you have everything you need to know about your Pax Vaporizer. Ultimate Guide

16. I never actually used the Pax lubricant. I would carefully clean the mouthpiece part with iso, and occasionally use a little bit of water based lubricant(generic KY Jelly basically, considered safe for entering your body in some interesting ways.) I got my 1 used and didn’t get any official Pax lubricant, and always just assumed it was either water based, mineral oil, or PG.

As far as the cleaning regimens go, the 1 was awful. When it was my daily driver, it got a daily cleaning.

They’ve improved things a lot in that area. I upgraded from a 1 to a 3, and when the 3 was my daily driver, I gave it the same deep clean once a week/week and a half, and it’s a lot quicker without that mouthpiece.

The materials they’re using now seem better at keeping resin at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum