Sog Questions Regarding Height (Northern Lights)

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Atmo, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Hey guys,

Just curious, if I were to take clones and put them into flower immediately, how tall should I expect Northern Lights to get in a SoG system?

I have about 3 feet or so in height for the SoG flower room, I will be using a 150w HPS lamp with 2x 125w CFLs, possibly some supplemental 26w CFLs as well. I used this setup in my last SCroG grow and it worked out great (link in my sig), and I should have about the same amount of room, possibly a couple inches more for the flowering chamber.

If my plants DO get too tall, can SOG plants be bent over after about a week in flower? I'm wondering if that will help keep heights down, or if that would not be worth it (wouldn't be getting that fat main cola bud)

I plan to have 3 clones going to start with and add more if I have room (I heard 1 NL plant per square foot for SoG).

Basically, this was my last grow box:
    [​IMG]

and now I plan on using this:
    [​IMG]

It's basically the same box but twice the height. If you look at the shelves I was thinking of removing the top two and the bottom one. The bottom chamber will be for a bonsai mum and cloning (using 8x 26w CFLs, same as last grow which seemed great! Should I use less light for maintaining a small mother plant?) - The top chamber will be for the SoG flowering, which will give me a little more height than last time.

Do you guys think this is feasible? If not, perhaps I will do more SCrOG grows, but I really want this to be perpetual... my goal, ideally, would be 1oz per month. Unsure if this is doable or not, but it's not important I reach that.

In my last grow in the small box I SCroGGed the NL plant and got about 1.7oz yield in the 1.5'x2' space.

Thanks guys!

2. Or is topping a clone (maybe after a week in flower?) a viable option to get them shorter/bushier instead of taller? I don't want to stunt growth right before/during flower, I am just concerned about the height.

I might put a plane of glass right under the lights just in case they do reach the lights, so that might help in regards to heat at least.

I may just have to go for it and see how it goes, but would love to know if this can be pulled off.

Another option I suppose is to take 3 clones, veg them for like 2 weeks under a scrog screen and flower them then. Whatever I can do to achieve ~1oz/month would be awesome, though! Perhaps that is a bit ambitious?

3. There is no such thing as too many lumens of light. That's like saying you have too much money! As for the rest, if you veg your clones for two weeks, for a 8 wk. indica Dom strain, you should have a finished height of 18"-24". Which would be perfect. If you want to harvest every two weeks just start your production so every 2 weeks you're taking cuts and moving plants into flower. I would think 2 plants would provide this. Keep it Green! Peace!

4. #4 Atmo, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    Thanks for the reply! Still been building this box but I am pretty confident it will work out nicely.
    I figured 2' would probably be the highest NL would get in a small SoG, so yeah that is pretty good.

I am still debating on an LED light, though.. my only issue with that is I believe they need to be a bit higher above the canopy, like at least 12". If that is the case, and the NL SoG gets to 24" tall, that will probably give me juuuust enough room. The flower chamber is about 4', so you figure the light + canopy distance would be roughly about 16" giving me (let's round down) about 30" of space. so 24" with a 6" high pot, that should be perfect as well. Plus I think LEDs compact the plants so they should grow slightly shorter than an HPS.

Right now it's boiling down to two/three options:
    1) keep my current light setup. 150w HPS + 2x 125w CFLs (plus probably additional 26w CFLs hanging between plants)
    2) upgrade lights to a dimmable 400w HPS, dim to roughly 250w - although with this setup I will probably need to upgrade my exhaust, too
    3) Go LED and use supplemental CFLs between the plants

I figure both #2 and #3 will run me similar amounts of money. Might just stick with my current setup for now, I've already wasted a bunch of money on stuff for my box that didn't turn out to be usable. Still would like to upgrade in the future either way.

Anyway, thanks for the input! 

5. I would use HID for my main lighting source and far red led's as complimentary(not supplemental) lights. Putting LED's in between each of my HID's has been producing amazing results for me! I have been doing this for about a year now and my yields are up by a consistent 15% and my quality improved.  Keep it Green! Peace! :hippie: