An Argument Against The Delusionary Perception Of Perpetual Positivity

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by -Martyr, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Yeah it does kind of piss me off when people create the illusion that they're always happy because they feel as though that's how "stoners" are supposed to act/feel and it also pisses me off when someone always acts negative just so others will pity them. People just need to learn how to express their actual emotions and stop lying to themselves and others. But that will never happen.

2. #22 -Martyr, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    That's a difference in personal philosophy. I don't base my personal beliefs or interpretation of this world, solely on general consensus, and definitely not on what the courts would acknowledge. They can barely perceive what justice is; they couldn't wrap their minds around the things I think about this world, and that doesn't deprive my constructs, thoughts, or perceptions of their merit. Just deprives the courts of the satisfaction of using it against me.

3. Stop being negative! It will happen! :D :p

lol, then i will further articulate part of my point: whether a thing is really real, versus whether enough people agree that a thing is "real," is a tedious but important distinction. I agree with what you just said: i decide what is or isn't real, based on allowing observation and reason to take me as far as it can, and attempting to fill in any gaps in accordance with all available evidence.

I would say that, subjectively, an individual can experience a hallucination or delusion as if it were indeed real... even though it isn't really real. Likewise, many people can agree that something is really real, even when it isn't. And laws and social constructs are often instituted over such consensus, which i find problematic, to say the least.

5. My point is simple: If we decide what is real, and very real experiences touch us and move us, they too are real. The need for other people's validation for anything is a personal choice. Some people need other people to tell them that they are right, or that this is fake, this is real, because they feel safe inside the house that was built for them, instead of building their own. Which is ironic, since all of the constructs that govern us started with hammer and nails. Not an inherent foundation.

6. #26 SlowMo, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
    Subjective, objective, positive, negative, real, hallucinatory...

It's an amazing neural feat that we can pretend that we somehow control the underlying neural connectivity and connection strengths, signal processing and filtering, and resulting spiking patterns - patterns that not only give rise to these and a zillion other labels, but also gives rise to their comparative categorical meanings. And more to the point, even gives rise to the very experience of a "me" that supposedly sets behind some imaginary central control console pushing the this-is-what-I-am buttons.

7. Well if you ask any yogi what the purpose of the world is, they will tell you it is to realize the futility of duality. That there is no such thing... only unity. I've experienced this in my last LSD breakthrough. I experienced different stages of division, from duality (yingyang, love/fear, dark/light) to complete singularity. In which I became one with source again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. The way I see things is that negativity and positivity are, respectively, indicators of that which is not good for us and that which is good for us( With the operative word being indicator, both are therefore necessary). Lets take the physical pleasure and pain that our physical bodies experience for example, both sensations are necessary and both serve us in one way or another. Pain contributes to the well being of ours physical bodies because it serves as a warning system, it tells us when something is wrong and affords us the opportunity to rectify it, provided that we are attentive enough to see it for what it is pain for what it actually "good" as it serves a purpose. Negativity in the world could be looked at in the same way. It too serves a purpose, it can also be viewed as a warning system. It tells us when something does not serve us, and it can be used as an alert to change our ways, and work at getting ourselves to a better state of being. It is not easy to tell someone who is living in a war zone and in abject poverty, or someone who has experienced great trauma such as having been gang raped or brutally assaulted that their negative situation, upon closer inspection, serves a purpose in some way.That they can learn from it somehow. I do however believe that there is a greater truth to negativity than what first appears, but one has to be open to the possibility of that being so. I don't mean that they are to ignore the feelings that first come up and focus on what would, at that initial stage be pseudo-positivity. In fact it is necessary that they, at first, allow themselves to vent, allow themselves to feel anger, hurt or whatever emotion comes up. It is important that they do this consciously though. In a way that will allow them to see the negativity for what it is (an indicator), they need to feel the pain in a way that leads them out of experiencing more pain.

The way that we deal with negativity presently seems to perpetuate the state of pain, anger, hate. You experience a hate crime, or experience violence and you feel the pain, and experience negativity in a way that generates more of it. This is sometimes what people call being "realistic" about things. They feel that their response is normal because it simply would not make sense to them to treat hostility, and the infliction of pain, with anything other than feeling hateful towards it. The thing is however they are likely to perpetuate that same hate, that same violence that same pain that they have such aversion to whether it be within themselves or as revenge to the perpetrators. Used in this way it does not serve us, in this way we become engulfed in that which we do not want to experience and we feel justified in feeling that way, not realizing that is causing further detriment, on top of the detriment that we have been dealt.

Pleasure is also good as it is feedback that we are doing something that serves us, something that enriches our experience in some way. Positivity can be looked at in the same way, it tell us that we are in state of being that serves us for the better. The confusion comes in when we perceive something as positive when it actually does not serve us. Like for example the "pleasure" of an alcohol induced euphoria, the drunken state is actually poisonous to the body, this becomes evident a few hours later when one wakes up with a hangover. One must also consider that in and of itself alcohol in not bad, but rather they way in which it has been used is bad. Studies have shown that small amounts of alcohol do have benefits for the body as I'm sure many of us know. It is all about the "how" element rather than the "what" element of a thing that determines whether or not it is bad. Positivity will emerge on its own when one realizes the purpose of initial natural negativity, it cannot be forced by sweeping the initial bad feelings under the carpet as that would just be another form of pseudo-positivity.

Looking at things in this way, I feel, can open the doors to "perpetual positivity", because whether the situation is good or bad you always gain something that is constructive from it hence your overall experience will be positive even in the face of something traditionally labelled as bad (by this I mean in a way that asserts the inherent negativity of a thing, or act, or circumstance)
    \t \t \t“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
    ― William ShakespeareHamlet.

Maybe there is a purely positive oversoul governing these and other like bodies!

http://www.lawofone.info/results.php?c=Confederation+of+Planets

10. #31 -Martyr, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    The interstellar journey towards oneness on a positively oriented path

12. #33 левша, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
    I think that you may be misunderstanding some of the "sunshine" attitudes. Many of those sunshines once came from dark stormy clouds and stuff of nightmares... Their own stories only they can comprehend.. You cannot understand every individual and you definitely cannot live in their shoes no matter what autobiography they have written, because words are only estimations of our experiences.
    Maybe this person wants to be better than what they used to, it keeps them intact, going back to negativity, back to the ugly way of thinking, that side in your brain, pulling you to your edge. No I choose to stay away from that. To not delude myself from reality and hide. But because I see green grass out of my window, ducks frolicking in water, children playing, and a blue sky and at night vast quantities of unexplored space.
    I'm happy knowing my life has only started and there is much to do and much left to improve on. Positivity has a value. It's like hope, and hope has brought people to their ends, and hope has given the people the power to keep on moving. Positivity does the same. It also made my darkness a new, fresh light. (Not flesh light) but a sense of a new beginning. I can start over.
    I suppose you could say I'm more positive than negative alone, I get a lot of time to think, clear minded, and unbiased.
    I just stay with what is good for me, is that not realistic? Being happy? I think that would be best for you too, and to continue growing. In public, I mostly stay silent, I smile and enjoy what is around me, I observe all and love seeing life go on, and the beauty, which wraps its blanket around me, is not a placebo. It is a state of mind where a part of me has always liked darkness over sunshine, for reasons of my own, of which you couldn't understand. But it made me a better, more determined to seek the good of MYSELF type of person. And to be honest, I'd like to share the peace of mind I've got. Because I'm sure it would help better yourself too. Sure there are hard times, but you will get through em.
    Why must there be two sides at all? Why not infinite. We are all ourselves.
    I'm sorry if this did not pertain to the argument here but what I understand is positivity isn't favored around here for some reason. I can understand hopeless positivity. But any positivity is positivity to put yourself in a better state of mind so that you can move on like we are supposed to. If you do not believe in a happier state of mind then you are troubled to think that it is silly to be atleast a little joyful and successful at the same time.
    It's life, make what you can out of it.
    The only reason why us positives are so positive is because we were once there, knowing how useless being negative was. I think that if we could accept our differences, people could get along, thus leading to happier days. Easily

13. Should I tell you guys what Ra said?

14. #35 -Martyr, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    If you believe there should be infinite sides, why would you defend the supposed validity of only indulging in one emotion? My OP and all following posts have been about defending one's ability to feel a myriad of emotions, including but not limited to, the stages and feeling of negativity. There's value in both. Don't waste my time with the whole "positivity is where I'm at, negativity is where I was" bullshit- not interested. Both are ephemeral in nature and both possess their own merit. That was the gist of what I was getting at.

15. I think you may have misunderstood me
    As I meant in my opinion a positive mind has more use than a negative. I didnt bother to read your other posts. Sorry about that.
    But by negative I meant a depressing state of mind, pessimism, etc. Not something useful like instincts and what not. I'm speaking about the negative way of life. I never said one should be stuck with one emotion... Thats very inhuman. I'm being realistic as I've never heard of a life with one emotion. Lol I'm sorry I brought those thoughts to your mind as it wasnt my intention.

16. You can succumb to your emotions which sometimes hold you back (anger, sadness whatever) or you can help channel it into a motivator. To make things right. Dont forget your emotions, use them. Look I'm not getting into an aggravated argument I'm just sharing here.

17. This reminds me a lot of the rave edm fad that consumes everyone from the age of 18 to 25 and the general attitude. So much music, tv, and general pop culture promotes this live every day like it's your last (yolo), party it up, and drink every night. It's this mentality of being in a perpetual party and never actually experiencing real life. It only talks about positivity, partying, having a good time, and doing a ton of drugs. Try and find one mainstream techno song out there that doesn't try to have uplifting positive tones. These songs never address the darker side of life or anything beyond getting fucked up and having a good time. People don't realize that in order to truly make a party something special it can't be something that you do every single minute of every single day. Even the greatest party gets boring as fuck when it's all you do everyday.

I would love to build my own house... as well as my own "house." I just lack the material resources to do so. Ergo: positivity for its own sake seems farcical, even disruptive, to me.

19. #40 Boats And Hoes, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014

There's an important reason as to why the kids in our generation are, i.e., why the youth of the most "capacitated" nation are, for the most part, brain dead, intellectually aloof, shallow, and warped and blinded by trivial concupiscence... systematic, and deliberately projected, control starts from the base of the ladder, all the way to the top; or, rather, from the top the ladder, all the way to the base.

"The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind."