The Pre-Eminence Of Mind Over Matter

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Account_Banned283, Jul 5, 2014.

1. #1 Account_Banned283, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    I would like all those who consider the existence of our mind to be merely the aggregated sum of a multitudinous array of particles and other corporeal materials to respond, and to try and understand this argument, which if not founded upon an errant mistake, is, I think, irrefutable evidence of mind's dominion over matter;

First we must agree on three things by necessity, first; that a physical object does not change by it's own ''will'' - for a physical object does not have any ''will'', second; that the physical traces of a brain are always determined by the internal circumstances within the mind, and third; that all effects have causes:

• A baby is born and grows into a child.
    • The child suffers abuse.
    • The wirings of the child's brain changes.
    • The changes of the brains wirings is an effect, and therefore had a cause.
    • A brain cannot change by abuse, for it does not experience the effects of abuse, the mind does.
    • The changes in the brains wiring could not have originated from anything pertaining to the physical brain itself therefore.
    • Therefore any change in the physical wirings of the child's brain originated from something that occurred within the child's mind.                                                          

And if this argument is followed through, and its premises correct, it must be agreed that since a physical change in the brain can be traced back entirely to the mind, that the mind therefore holds chief dominion over matter.

2. #2 pickledpie, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
    nvm read that wrong

3. Pickled, as I've said, you're on ignore, but please try not to clutter the thread with heaps of gibberish as you are so wont to do.

4. In your second "agreement by necessity" you assert that physical traces of a brain always correlate with the "internal" circumstances within the mind.

Yet you go on to say "A brain cannot change by abuse, for it does not experience the effects of abuse, the mind does"

This is a contradiction.

Lol being ignorant on purpose to defend your beliefs is a sad show of your character and your reasoning. It removes any validity that you have when you lash out in anger at the words of another which are contrary to your own.

6. #6 Account_Banned283, Jul 5, 2014
    This should keep you entertained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQseSzCqdmI

7. so I take it you're taking a substance dualistic stance. If this is so , then how does the brain in your scenario get rewired? Does it pass through the physical circuits and then somehow gets passed onto the mind and then the mind processes the information ,then somehow invokes these changes onto the physical structure it occupies?
    Furthermore what kind of abuse is this? What if this is physical abuse where the dad bashes the kid in the head? Clearly this can  cause permanent brain damage causing a change in the brain by abuse. even pinch his hands until it bleeds, though classical conditioning ,which the brain circuitry is very well studied and exists in other animals.

8. What if someone doesn't get abused but they develop a seratonin deficiency. The mind would be altered from the brains wiring.

"I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken" -Talladega nights

9. Why do you think mind exists independantly and isolated from experience and physical influence and change in the brain?

The mind is just what we experience. The brain mirroa that experience on a more objective level.

10. i gotta be honest, i dont see a single thing you said that doesnt allow for the suggestion matter creates the mind.

and let me ask, lets say the mind creates all. what realm does that mind exist in?

11. #11 Thejourney318, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
    Yes, it is interesting that the intangible mind can actually alter the physical structure of the brain. I'm not sure it proves the pre-eminence of mind though, because as has been pointed out elsewhere physical alteration of the brain DOES produce a change in the mind. Thus it's a reciprocal process. Nonetheless, what it could perhaps demonstrate is the actual existence of a mind which is not simply the brain itself. Now really at that point you're not so far from the old concept of the soul, although many may dislike that phrasing. If there is an actual existence of Mind, which is not simply the brain, that has all sorts of potential implications. Whether the reality of mind may be simply an alternate form of reality, just like our physical reality, and these two interact in some ways. Also how it could tie into the idea of re-incarnation.

12. #12 Account_Banned283, Jul 5, 2014
    If this is so , then how does the brain in your scenario get rewired?

It gets rewired in a typically material fashion - but the cause is what should concern us.

Does it pass through the physical circuits and then somehow gets passed onto the mind and then the mind processes the information ,then somehow invokes these changes onto the physical structure it occupies?

No, as I have said, the brain itself does not experience human sentiments, and therefore cannot alter itself by force of them. The mind/experience is the pinpoint upon which all matter converges - if it was merely the powerless product of a tangible brain, it should not be that it holds any influence over it at all, furthermore, in regards to what has been posted by most here, the changes in the brain are correlatives with the changes of a mind - but the changes in the mind, since it is the source and sum of all experience, MUST be considered causal in regards to the effects administered in the brain, since we can trace no further back than the mind.

In response to your latter question; it is any abuse that warps the brains wirings.

13. lol I remember when I used to think like this.

14. #14 Account_Banned283, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    Imagine experience to be a straight line, split into several points, and order the contents of experience in accordance with their relation to our experience, the most foremost thing in the line is the mind itself, for it is the ground and foundation of everything that we can experience, the second point in the line, is the brain, for it is the thing that holds and alters the perception of the mind, and the third point is the physical world, since it is the thing that gives the brain existence and alteration.

The mind -----> The brain -----> Physical world -----> The brain -----> The mind

15. #15 Account_Banned283, Jul 5, 2014
    The brain changes by the effects that the abuse has on the mind.

Does the mind have a homeostatic state that can be altered?

What is the quality of mind? Why is pleasure produced by some things and pain by others?

Is 360p the best you could find?

17. Your still just assuming something called the "mind" that is different from your brain exists. You didn't prove that a mind exists therefore your argument proves nothing.

18. #18 Account_Banned283, Jul 5, 2014
    It is in this simple diagram that I think we can see the truth of many an old adage that purports the universe to be ''folded'' within one's mind.

19. As a similar, but probably more sufficient extension to my original post, consider the talents of an individual human being, and how with due diligence they may improve upon those skills that they have already learnt; do the featured wirings of a brain not expand and develop themselves in accordance with the individuals inward experience? Surely to suggest otherwise would be nonsense.

20. #20 Account_Banned283, Jul 5, 2014
    Does the mind have a homeostatic state that can be altered?

Isn't homeostasis a biological phenomena?

What is the quality of mind? Why is pleasure produced by some things and pain by others?

I don't know.

Is 360p the best you could find?

Yeah, sorry. :smoke: