10/light 14/dark

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Cannabizm, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Today at day 43 in flower I switched the lighting schedule to 10 hours of light, 14 hours of dark. I'm excited to see what happens and hopefully my harvest will be back on schedule from the 2 weeks I lost due to main lining. The theory is that the plant will freak out and stress it's resin glands in order to survive the sudden rush of darkness. Resin is formed naturally by the cannabis plant in order to protect it self for the coming cold.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I might try this during the last week perhaps, but I think you will be losing valuable sunlight during the phase when it gains the most weight. Update the thread and let us know how the harvest came out.

3. Resin is produced to protect the flower from UV that is why adding a reptile UVb light for a few hours each day will really bring out the trichs. Switching to 10/14 will just make your buds smaller but feel free to experiment.

4. Stress, of any kind, will result in decreases of yield and quality of the final product! It's like raising children. They respond the best with consistency and love and in providing what they need when they need it. Except when growing peppers! I yell at them, call them names, whip them and water with hot sauce! Makes 'em more hotter!!! Peace! :yay:

• Like Like x 1
  5. It's only on one out of 6 tents so we'll see.

Attached Files:

6. At day 43 I have enough weight/plant I just want these Bitches down. If you read my post I mention the 2 weeks lost for training. 12/12 in nature happened back in March around the 15th or 16th homie. Botany will tell you 12/12 is the "safe" bet. As long as she gets 10 - 12 hours of UNINTERRUPTED dark is all you need for flower. Meaning the bare minimum needed is 12/12

7. Day 40. I call this nug "the liter cola"

Attached Files:

8. Day 45. We shall use this can of delicious malt liquor to judge.

Attached Files:

9. Here is a non- stressful way to increase resin production. In 1976, Vale, did a study on resin production and published his results. The study was two fold. First was resin production and temperature. Vale found that optimum resin production occurred when both day and night temps were a consistent 75 degrees. The second study was on the amount of light received and resin production. Vale found that for every 30 minutes the light was on after the first initial 10 hrs., that there was a resin production increase of 20%. So, when flowering, I run my lights for 12.5 on and 11.5 off. There is a big difference in the flowering response of plants originating from above or below 27 degrees latitude, but I have found that almost all strains will respond favorably with this lighting regime, producing noticeably more resin then plants flowered at 12/12! Peace! :yummy:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Resin is formed naturally by the cannabis plant in order to protect it self for the coming cold.    ...this is very wrong and noobie of you 
    will be back on schedule from the 2 weeks I lost due to main lining  exactly whose schedule? more inexperience 

that the plant will freak out and stress ...this is the most accurate the OP can get?

Little does the OP know that all he is doing is depriving the plant of 2 hours growth/budding per day with an increasing chance of the plant herming ...good luck sucker?

11. Of course it's not going to get cold in my tent.. wow you missed my point completely. Your also wrong it will not herm. Your an idiot.

12. Just checked the plants under a 100x and I'm pleased. The cones have rounded on the top and a few are starting to get the gold top. Not enough yet but I think they'll be done at 56.

13. #13 Littletoast, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
    as far as i know, resin is NOT to protect the bud/plant from cold. it may or may not offer little protection from cold, but it is not its main function. resin glands main function is to catch pollen from male plants. if the plant is threatened it will produce more, if it would be thinking anything at this time is...OH SHIT I NEED TO CATCH MY ASS SOME SWEET MALE POLLEN BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!

a plant wants to reproduce before it dies, that is the ultimate goal. if you STRESS the plant TOO much it will hermy. again, it hermies so it can reproduce with its own pollen.  

i remember something about the glands and uv lighting, but i forget. what was mentioned might have some science behind it.

i think IF this increases resin production, it wouldnt be much. and id rather litfa and have equal weight and potency instead of less weight but slightly higher thc content . probably wouldnt notice a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  14. resin is produced to capture pollen, not protection

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. 56 days of flowering is like the shortest flower time ever... Idk how you would get anything decent that fast

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. #16 jonny.blaze/420, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014

You are very mistaken... the pistils are what catch the pollen.

You must work with poor lights or poor genetics... there are a ton of 8 week strains out there now. I have auto strains that finish in 60 days from seed.

17. Trichomes were perfect at day 56 on 3/4 plants. The last one I let flush till 61 and the trichomes were dark (blasted into hash anyways)
    I got around 2.5 ounces per plant and the last one was a freckle shy of 3.
    To my point. I live in Denver and everyone has flower. Flower weight is not my concern at all. I make this amazing product called "BHO" for a number of reasons but the most important is I can't smoke a half pound of flower. That is why I belive resin production is far more important than weight especially in 2014 when wax is 50 a g in the store and 90 a g if you don't live in Denver. 4 plants and 82.5 grams of hash. I recommend using this lighting but build up to it 2.5 minutes at a time

18. 1000 watt hps and sealed tents within sealed rooms. Lights are prime and genetics are solid

19. Not talking to you bro I was talking to the troll... That is why I quoted his post and not yours.

Looks like you need to go to school... here is a good article on trichomes...

http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/inside-trichome