4X4 Led Wild Thai Seed, Second Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by DDP, Jul 4, 2014.

1. So I just finished trimming all the bd from my first grow. 253 grams dried weight from 4 Indica plants. 3) white widow and 1) Sweet Black Angel.

I just made a few small changes to my tent like removing a large 16" oscillating fan (too big and blocked the light) and moving my 1,000 cfm fan to the side instead of center of tent to give me more vertical clearance to move my light up.

I will be starting with my Mars II 1200 LED light, but I hope in 2 weeks to have my new lighting, just under 1,000 ACTUAL watts of LED leaning heavily on the white spectrum. It will be 4 independent 240w modules and I will also have 1 smaller 160(?)w unit.

I am looking at adding some features shortly. I want to make watering easier! I'm thinking a simple drip system hooked up to a small pump I can drop in a 5 gallon bucket and just plug it in. I am also seriously considering ordering some sensors and putting a spare Arduino to use. My thoughts are inside and outside temp and humidity. Add some relays so I can control a humidifier (unusually dry here in Bangkok right now, my room is at 35%) and also to switch speeds on my exhaust fan. I may add a CO2 sensor for shits and giggles just so I know where I am ( shouldn't do this as I'm sure it will make me want to hook up CO2)

I grow in 5 gallon pots of DIY organic soil. Equal parts peat, pearlite, and worm poo. I added dolomite, kelp, alfalfa, bone, bat guano, and one or two other things.

This time around I'm flowering bag seed Sativas I got from the shitty brick weed they sell here. The biggest plant begged for 4 months(was going to flower her last time but only had room for 4 plants in the tent. It is about 5 feet tall and I've heavily topped it twice cutting off about 4 feet. Sadly I just snapped off 2 main branches a few minutes ago moving it to the flower tent... Owell, I also have one of her clones that has been topped, and another bag seed that is much shorter, younger and has had LST and topping.

I have some girls in the veg tent I am trying some experiments on. If anyone is interested I'll show them later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404459343.365336.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404459398.298770.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404459418.982134.jpg

I may throw a 4th plant in here a bit later, but we'll see

Ok been a busy day, time to finally go shower
    Happy 4th of July everyone! Please enjoy a hot dog or BBQ for me. I miss home food!

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1277190-DDPs-first-attempt

2. Ordered temp and humidity sensors, one moisture continuity sensor, 8 circuit relay, and clock modue. I forgot my display is back home in the states so I had to order another display for building an arduino base data hub.

So today is day 1, plants seem happier with more light and more room out of the veg tent.

I dropped another CBD Crew Mango Haze as the one I planted last week never popped up. I'm going to attempt a mainline of that and a pineapple chunk.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1277190-DDPs-first-attempt

3. #3 DDP, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
    Day 12 of flower:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405490310.798465.jpg
    Things are chuggin along. Broke another branch off. The things grow so different than indicas, branches are so long and they get tangled in each other. I saw buds starting right around the one week mark.

I planted a pineapple chunk that sprouted on June 29th so today is day 17. I planted a CBD Crew Mango madness but it never sprouted. I planted another CBD on July 5th and sprouted 4 days later. The CBD did not stretch like all other sprouts, it's one week today and only has first aerated leaves. I hope it wakes up and starts doing something soon. I did notice the CBD seeds to be pretty light in color, maybe not completely ripe? Anyhow I potted up the Pineapple today along with a few sative clones I'm trying to keep small for now... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405490690.481756.jpg

My outdoor sative is looking good. I begged in the tent for sometime and put it outside thinking with natural 12/12 lighting it would go I to flower mode right away... It's still in veg mode. I'm thinking to throw it in my flower tent for a week or two see if that kicks it in the rear then put back outside. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405490868.080734.jpg

Controller update: been real busy last 2 weeks so not a lot of progress. Got the display working, got the temp and humidity sensors displaying. Temp is real accurate to each other and humidity is I think 2 or 3% variance. I need to go buy some small cable, and calibrate them at 75%.

Having issues with the real time clock, can't get it to keep the time. Once that is sorted out I'm not sure if I will start using a rotary encoder for input, or start with the 8 channel relays.

My idea is to have a small remote display box with temp and RH built in, and have it connect to the main box with a standard Ethernet cable. Right now display has 8 wires and sensor uses 3(2 can be shared with display) which puts me one wire over the limit... Maybe use a shift register on the display and loose one or two wires.

Saw a good idea on YouTube from some guy with a major automated hothouse. He put the temp/RH sensor in a vertical piece of white PVC. The top part of the PVC was painted black to absorb heat causing a vacuum and sucking air up into the PVC to give accurate readings without being altered by fans blowing on it. I'm thinking a small hose tapped I to my fan sucking a bit of air up to the sensor.

I'm paused on the conductivity sensor as my daughter (Eclectus parrot) decided the wires looked tasty while no one was watching... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405491711.714141.jpg this is her trying to look innocent.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1316222-4x4-led-wild-thai-seed-second-grow.html#entry20304616

4. Little update on arduino project... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405680507.550235.jpg
    Pretty happy with the display. Want to do some code cleanup. Sadly the code just for this display takes up over 1/3 of the memory. Maybe I can reduce it a bit, but I think I will be ordering the Arduino Omega which has a lot more I/O pins and memory than my little Uno...
    I picked up some cable today so I can make leads for the temp/humidity sensors. Then pop em in a bag with wet salt to get the RH to 75% and calibrate my readings.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1316222-4x4-led-wild-thai-seed-second-grow.html#entry20304616

5. Arduino update. I have the display working with only 5 wires! 2 for power and 3 for data :) I will add one wire for temp/humidity, and probably 1 more to turn on/off/dim the backlight.

I'm thinking v1.0 will only be data display and no controls. I just ordered an arduino mega (4 times the memory) and will add the relays for controlling fans, light timers, humidity fogers to that. I also ordered a bigger display screen, 128x64 so I can have more room for data. Haven't finished v1 and already thinking of v3... Touchscreen!

6. So I took a gram of kief from my first harvest and cooked it in coconut oil and made a dozen capsules. Popped one adjust before 1 pm and I still have a nice buzz 6 hours later

7. #8 DDP, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
    Just got home late last night from Australia. Waiting for flower light to turn on to check the ladies. My second plant hermied on me:( damn!!!!

I'll chop it later today I guess

So I have t consider continuing this grow with only one plant that has been severely mistreated or turn the light off and concentrate on my veg tent getting some girls ready.

8. #9 DDP, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
    Well shit!!!! Both remaining plants have balls!!!!

9. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407145010.747750.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407145084.211364.jpg
    Today is day 30....not sure if I'll just chop now and start again in about a week or to continue this harvest

10. Ok so washed down the tent and grabbed three girls from veg. 2 sweet black angel, 1 white widow (I swear I didn't top or FIM but you would never guess) and I may grab my super healthy wild sativa that is outside. It's spur happy and healthy, but hasn't started flowering in the 2 months it's been outside.
    They had a day and a half of darkness and today 12 hour lighting starts.
    I planted seeds yesterday also.
    Pineapples express auto(freebie) will go outside.
    Honey bee, vanilla kush, critical kush, blue cheese. I also have a pineapple chunk in veg. It reached it's 6th node yesterday so I topped at 3rd(top half is now a clone) and will try to do a mainline. Out of 4 CBD Crew Mango haze only one sprouted and after a month it's barely an inch tall but looks like it may finally start to grow.... Damn can be a full tent!!!!

Got email and my 4) 260 watt units and 1)150w white LEDs should ship Monday or Tuesday.

11. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407409229.672445.jpg white widow

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407409265.088610.jpg LST Sweet black angel. And one natural SBA.

I'm trying an experiment due to an accidental discovery... I have one sativa outside in a 5 gallon bucket, it is sitting on top of a 35 gallon bucket that has my live soil in it. The other day I moved the bucket and found out the roots had grown down I to the 35gallon can and at least half way down through all the soil! So as an experiment, I have the 3 girls in 5 gallon buckets sitting on top of another 5 gallon bucket. I'm thinking bigger root mass = bigger yields and these plants like to grow roots vertically.... So why not?

12. #13 DDP, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
    Had to leave for a long weekend, go up north to meet my girlfriends family (GULP!). Ready to leave in 10 minutes and remeber to water the clone and seeds in the hotbox/humidity house... All 5 seeds sprouted in their rock wool cubes... And the two CBD Crew mango haze I planted over a month ago both sprouted! Crap they are in the same container.... Hope I can separate them Tuesday when I get home.
    Hmmm... Pineapple Express will go outside, that leaves
    Honey bee
    Vanilla kush
    Critical kush
    3) mango haze
    Pineapple chunk
    Blue cheese

I think I will throw my two mothers outside(my other outdoor plant never started flower in 2.5 months) and have both tents flowering.
    My new lights are supposed to ship Monday so that is perfect timing.

13. Day 7:
    Stretch is starting, WW looking good, looks like lots of bud sites. Need to figure out what to do with natural SBA, it's a vertical stick :(
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407895667.031241.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407895713.546710.jpg

Pineapple Express, honey bee, critical kush all sprouted and I just repotted from starter tray.

Month old mango starting to finally grow. It's topped itself and starting to grow two tips.
    Two old mango seeds that just popped have been separated and both babies are happy.

I tied down the pineapple chunk mainline and topped the two ends. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407896010.828370.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407896038.614004.jpg

I think after this grow I will have both tents running as flower. One with Mars 1200, and one with solarspec1000
    I know the honey bee is sativa but I think the rest is mostly indica so thank goodness for separate lighting modules to keep light adjusted for different height plants

14. #15 DDP, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    They're here! They're here!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407927362.229225.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407927396.161429.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407927462.595617.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407927489.178177.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407927512.479713.jpg
    Each light came with regular power plug and one jumper cable for daisy chaining multiple units together (more on this later), clips for hanging individually from heavy duty brass hooks (same as mars), 2 ratcheting light hangers (wish Mars came with these), bracket and screws for bolting two units together.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407927726.063216.jpg
    Lots of venting holes on sides, here I took a pic of the insides. I gently shook each of the units and found one piece of tinned wire that easily came out through the vent holes. I've heard of this problem with several other lights, but not easy to remove the debris on other lights.

15. #16 DDP, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407928118.928390.jpg here I used supplied bracket and screws to mount two units together.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407928190.637655.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407928207.678662.jpg
    Here is two units together next to my Mars II 1200 for size comparison, same size in one axis, a bit bigger in the other axis. The mars is just about the same size as 1.5 of the Solar Specs.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407928390.028317.jpg
    My tent open with Mars light on and solar spec sitting in front and off

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407928455.212342.jpg
    Same but solar spec red lights on (about 18-24" away...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407928525.479039.jpg
    Mars on, SS red off, SS white on.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407928572.479103.jpg
    Ok here is my little problem... I KNOW one light did not come with jumper cable. I could have SWORN the other 3 did. I have not been smoking. But I'll be damned if I can find the third cable needed to turn on the fourth unit! Maybe it's counted haha. No biggie, I'll pick one up tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407928712.429453.jpg
    And finally the solar spec lighting my ladies. 3 solar spec 260w is just a little more electrical draw than my Mars 1200(223.4vac, 2.444A, 545.98w), but seems much brighter. Can't wait to get the fourth unit on tomorrow after work.

And damn!!!! That chrome is sexy!!!!!!

16. Setup Looks good, plants Look happy. Could someone please help me out i postes à couple of questions and i would réally Like a response, regarding how loud how smelly how it Wont overgrow thé roof(1m)
    Any Bell would be great thanks

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Not sure where you posted your questions, if I have any ideas that may help you I'll share my experience...
    How loud? As loud as your exhaust fan... That pulls air through a carbon filter so there is no smell. How to not outgrow your roof, grow indoors and indicas will grow up to about 3'. Sativas can get tall, so you veg them under 24 hour lighting (some like 18 hours) then switch to 12 hour lighting when they are between 1 and 2 feet. Then as they enter "the stretch" and grow like crazy for a week or two, you train the plants to grow out not up.

Hope that helped

18. Hey DDP!

Excellent  unboxing! Those have to be bright. Looks like the  white light from the Spec is washing out the red from the MARS.. Can't wait for the grow...   Keep it Green... 

19. Thank man :) I am so excited!
    Question, I'm thinking to put the solar spec 150 in my veg tent along with my MARS 900... Would you use full power or only the red or only the white?