Why Do People Support People Being Overweight?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by way of life, Jul 2, 2014.

So you need others as your own motivation? Sounds like an esteem issue.

2. #42 TCUB, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
    Is that a problem? You seem like one of those guys that tries to define and figure everything out and act like you've got everything under contol.

3. #43 Mr.Otter, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
    I think it's crazy how obese people are encouraged to love themselves for who they are but at the same time they have a serious health issue. Just because they have a number of other larger people supporting them and telling them it's okay to be overweight doesn't justify being overweight. Nobody ever encourages an alcoholic to love themselves for who they are.

4. It has become a society norm especially in 'Merica

5. ^^ not even just America, Canada is just as bad in terms of obesity rates. The U.K. also has crazy high obesity rates.

I think it's just a symptom of the developed world, we have access to as much food as we want at relatively low cost, only natural that people are going to overindulge.

Also, medical research suggests that once someone is overweight, it's very difficult for them to lose that weight permanently. It's a relic of our evolutionary biology. Fat is essentially the way our body stores energy for later use, therefore we are physiologically wired to retain as much fat as possible.

Haha. So you're saying I have a good head on my shoulders? What an insult  :laughing:

7. I used to way over 270lbs, so I can telly you definitively that fat people know their fat, fat people know you think their gross, and fat people probably have very low self esteem because of their fatness. It's absolutely unnecessary for you to pile onto their self hatred. They probably do that to themselves every day. What you could do, if you know the individual, is offer to go the gym with them. Support, don't denigrate. And remember that in the end, it's up to the individual to take care of themselves.

I lost weight by working out every day and cutting out processed foods (I try to eat only whole foods). Gradually, over the course of a year  I dropped down to 225. I still have some stubborn body fat, but I have a fair amount of muscle and can run 3 miles. 

8. I can't believe so many of you care so much about the appearance of other people. I am shocked by what I've read throughout this thread.

9. #50 smokerings, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
    In Africa, big fat woman is sexy.

In America, skinny woman is sexy.

Oh the irony.

10. Those must be some strong supports

11. I totally agree- being fat ( in the way you're describing) is incredibly unhealthy, and should not be encouraged at all. But, it is a life choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. If America wasn't so fat, out taxes would be lower. So it does affect me.

Stop stuffing your face all day, if you do, at least burn off the million calories you just ate.

13. Its all about math man.

Your problem is time not money.

The cost of bread and condiments oon a Burger is almost negligible

Meaning when you eat McDonald's you are ppaying about 10$/lb for shit quality meat.

That's more than organic grass fed.

You can definatly afford to eat healthy you just need to make time to prepare food

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I completely agree with you. It is a time thing. I dont have time to clean dishes and the kitchen. And then to cook the meal. Then clean the kitchen again.
    Not to mention go to the store to get the ingredients

Like I love making lasagna, I can make it a obsession with all the different ways to make it....but the problem is I will spend at least $100 at the grocery store for everything. I do get a good five meals out of it, but, simmering the sauce is a 18-24 hour process for my way of making it

My point is that healthy food is expensive if you get it to go. I wish there were a few "fast food type chains" like a mcds, everywhere that has cheap, fast healthy food. The only thing I

15. tropical smoothie?

There are also places where you can get salads to go, like Starbucks.

Or, you can do what I do sometimes. Go.to Burger king. Ask for extra lettuce. Toss the bun. And make a lettuce wrap

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Starbucks is expensive as hell and who would go to BK for lettuce wraps (which would also be expensive)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Sooooooooo much fail in this post. lol.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. Dude, you are lazy.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

The post you quoted seemed fine to me. What was wrong with it? Healthy food is fucking expensive. Not everyone is made of money.