Better Approach To Breeding?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Amerikana1, Jun 30, 2014.

1. So breeders, i have a question. Lets say i have 4 keeper plants that i want to integrate into strain (lets call them A B C and D) that i want to make for myself. Should you stay heterozygous until the end making it completely random, or should you try to select for you what you want the traits you want along the way. For example:

A. Heterozygous: Pollinate A with B. Select at random, one of their offspring (call it ABx). Pollinate it with C, then select a random ABCx. Then lastly pollinate with D. And select two of those for your first mother and father. Then start to wittle those two down.

B. Homozygous: Cross A with B, then pop an assload of ABx to select for traits. Find one cross it with C....pop another assload of ABCx, select for traits, then D...and you get the picture.

I was thinking that doing it the heterozygous way is the best way because you have a wider range of genetics to work with because its completely random until the end, and you will have a better chance of finding something amazing. But then i was thinking it would take you forever to stabilize it to a few phenos.

Any thoughts?

2. I'd cross AB, find one with traits you like.
    Cross CD, find one with traits you like.
    Then I'd cross those and find the traits you want.
    Just a thought.

3. ^^what he said. Combine 2 plants you think would show good traits, do the same to the other 2. You'll have 2 different "breeds " to work within and stabilize. Once you've got the traits locked down then outcross the 2 breeds to make a new hybrid.

A better way to go s about this,is to have goals. Say you REALLY like plant a. How it grows, and how it smells, but it doesn't have a high yield and doesn't have as much thc as you want. Cross it with a strain that has the yield and high you want. Grow out the next Gen,select for the traits you desire, then either choose to inbreed from there, or perform a back cross to one of the select parent. Random crossing might produce interesting crosses, but there's no purpose to it...

Sent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #4 Amerikana1, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
    Thanx for those responses. So this is my arguement. Crossing two and then selecting is essentially limiting the gene pool isnt it? If i selected in the end, arent all those traits i wanted there anyways? I will just take me popping more beans to find the more interesting phenos? Then select a mother and father and inbreed from there.

5. With that it's going to take many generations,and HUNDREDS of plants to breed and lock down a strain... If your just doing it for shits and gigs to see what happens,that's cool, but it's not breeding mate..

Sent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Word, thanx for clearing that up for me. Ill do it the way you guys said.