Sunroom - Lemon Kush And Juicy Fruit

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by sgreene420, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Greetings! Long time reader, 2nd time grower and 1st time grow journalist hailing from the Mile High City.

Plants/Soil
    So far we have a nice start. 16 days ago (6/12/14) I purchased 4 clones, 2 Lemon Kush and 2 Juicy Fruit, for $40. They were taken from their mother 2 weeks prior. All 4 measured 8" and were growing in a organic soil mix inside "red party cups" When I got them home I transplanted all immediately into 5 gal smart pots, using Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil mix. 

Room/Light
    The sunroom is 10' x 5' with 2 large windows, 1 facing east and the other south so the plants receive plenty of morning sunshine :) I have 3 CFL lights hanging 10" from the top that come on in the afternoon and shut off at 10pm giving 8 hours of dark.

I have been feeding them 2 cups of water (PH 6 using the cheap strips )every other day and use I have been adding a N bust every feeding. 

Its hot outside but the room stays at 70 with the help of a great lil A/C in the window. I will update weekly with pics. Thanks for any and all input in the matter. 

Attached Files:

2. Quick note... All 4 as of last post
    measure 16" tall

Sent from my PantechP8010 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Are you telling me them bitches grew 8 inches in 5 hours. Cause if so you need to start taking clones quicker than a mufucka.

ㅠ ㅑㅅ cㅗ ㄴㅁ ㅛ ㅈㅁ ㅅ

4. Lol nope they grew 8" in 16 days. Doubling in size

5. Ok so its been 1 month and about 1 day since I brought home the ladies and I must say things are looking really good. Both my Lemon Kush are 24" and my 2 Juicy Fruit are measuring in at 22" tall.  All in all about we have seen 16" in growth the first 30 days . 
    \nI am adding a Nitro bust to the water and then I am watering every other day with each plant getting 2-3 cups.
    \nIts hot outside but not inside. Heat is no problem. Room stays at 70 all day thanks to a small A/C unit in the window. 
    \n
    During the veg stage beside loads of natural beautiful sunlight I am also using  2 - 100w CFL's with shop style hood located about a foot above. They get about 18/6 of light

I will be switching to bloom in about week (after I buy some mylar to cover the windows) in which I have 1 - 600w HPS with hood that I will be using. (I will have pics soon)

My first grow I went 100% all natural. No added nutes. And everything came out and tasted great but this summer I have yet to make up my mind on the subject. We shall see in the next week or so. 

All in all the only thing I wish I had done different is I wish I had 'Topped' the plants as soon as I had gotten home.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      351.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      308.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      344.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      288 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      316.2 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      402.2 KB
      Views:
  6. #6 Legal Liez, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
    Those lights aren't close enough, that's why it's so lanky and stretched out....
    2-4" is optimal for CFLs....

7. Thanks makes sense. I will make the changes. The light is really only used in the evenings from say 4-midnight

8. To be honest with you. You're not going to yield more than a few grams without sufficient lighting. Window light and a few hours of CFLs isn't going to cut it to say the least. You're gong to want at least, and I mean at least, 18 hours light with the CFLs. You can not grow a cannabis plant in a window, well at least not good smokable one. Best of luck to you though...

9. That's only during veg. When I switch to flower here in the next week or so I have a 600w HPS with hood that should do the trick. Last seasons grow of 4 plants gave me 5 ounces dry

10. My b! I guess i missed that. Might as well veg with the 600w. That's better than window light and CFLs.

11. Looking good. Having a sunroom is a nice option. Might have missed this, but what type of nutes are you feeding?

My first development...
    forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1317102-first-time-grow-1k-watt-bagseed.html

12. Thought about it for a while. The plants love the sun and its most cost effective overall I guess

13. Today was the last day of veg! I bought 25 yards of black and white poly, covered all the windows and created a room 8' long x4' wide. Hung the HPS from the ceiling and tomorrow we are ready to go!

Question for anyone. So when it comes to the light switch from veg to bloom, I will be running a 600w HPS at night, from 8p - 8a so the plants which have been getting the morning sunshine tomorrow morning they will not. No lights for them again until 8p tomorrow night. 20 hours of dark. Does this bother anybody? How do you and your ladies handle the switch?

14. #14 sgreene420, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
    I haven't really used any yet I used a little N boost for the first 3 weeks and since then nothing. I'm using Fox Farm soil which has enough to get you till the plant starts to bloom. Last grow, which was my first, I used very little (1tlb molasses the last two weeks) in the way of nutes during bloom but this time I was thinking I might try something out not sure what yet but when and if I do I will show them off

15. Just plugged the light in! They will be on from 7p-7a all done manually, I haven't picked up a timer just yet. First day of bloom is always so exciting. I

16. Okay were 5 days into flower and for the first time in am facing 2 problems. Big or small I am not sure just yet...

Both problems started yesterday I believe. First is a problem with one of my Juicy Fruit plants. I noticed the top 3 leaves have splotchy orange spots appearing on them. I have asked around and am being told its lack of Calcium / Magnesium . Pitcher's attached. Any comments are welcome and appreciated

Attached Files:

17. #17 sgreene420, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014
    The second problem I researched and little and believe that its a under- watering issue... I have been watering each plant 4 of cups water every other day. I haven't added nutrients as of yet. Soil is Fox Farm Ocean Forest and the plants are in 5 gal smart pots.

Attached Files:

18. #18 sgreene420, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
    For the orange splotches I added some grandma's molasses into today's watering. Along with all the sugars it also has 2% Calcium and 2% Magnesium until I can get a stronger Cal/Mag boost later this week at the store

19. So its been 8 days since my last post and I had yet another problem... 3 days ago as soon as I plugged my light in, 5 seconds later the light went out and then I noticed a burning chemical type of smell. It was coming from my ballast. It smelled so bad. I started to freak out. I wasn't sure what just happened and I didn't have the money to go out and replace the ballast and to make matters worse, it was 8 pm and all grow stores were closed. I barely slept knowing the plants were sitting in a dark room. 

First thing the next morning I took the ballast into my grow store and they took it apart revealing the ignition had melted down. Lucky for me it was a quick fix costing under $20. I was told by the experts at the store that its better to be without light for 24 hours only a week into bloom than it would have been if I had left the light on for 24 hours. That made me feel a little better but still I worry

20. Day 21 in flower and I must say things have been going much smoother the last week or so.

The Cal/mag problem or orange splotches never progressed any further than the top two leaves it originated on. I have not added anything and in fact I have only added tap water that I PH in the past week and the plants seem to love it. Great growth in height and also with the foliage. Buds are forming nicely and smell awesome!