Advise On Shopping For An Artist

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by STilladelph, Jun 26, 2014.

1. #1 STilladelph, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
    Looking into getting my first tattoo. Its always been a tabboo thing with my family since they're of jewish decent, so never thought about getting one.

I'm moving in a few days across the country, and want to get a custom piece drawn.

Is it appropriate to shop around artists then find the best tattoo artist? I feel like most of them want to draw it if they're gonna tattoo it, but if Its gonna be on me forever ill pay what I need to pay if it means one person to draw it and one person to tattoo it.

Whats the going rate for a custom drawing?

I usually wanted $50-$100 an hour to draw or run the machine. When I worked in the shop I could get a good looking rough draft in 20 minutes and then trick it out when the machine was on. The basic drawing was just for placement on the body.

Always shop around, where about are you moving to?

3. Portland oregon

Im really skeptical about someone freehanding a drawing. Id rather see it up front.

Would making a photoshop idea of what I want of any benefit

• Like Like x 1
    even with a stencil its freehand. If an artist cant draw right on you with an ink pen then they are not very good.

I did not use a stencil all the time, especially cover ups of shitty fucked up tattoos. I drew it with pen on the customer and then nailed it down.

A basic plan is good then a good artist you like can trick it out. you have to be confident they will customize it for the better.

The reason the stencil does not have all the fine details and the tattoo must be free hand or it transfers as a blob, the stencil is just a line drawing.

5. [​IMG] this is kinda the idea I was going for but a little different.

What do you think something like that would run me....properly done no cheapo jobs

Plan on spending no less than $100. more if you are a big dude and need a big chunk of art.  You don't want to be a big guy with a tiny tattoo.

7. I was expecting $200-$300 so I guess ill look around for the best artist.

Is there like a yelp.com for this sorta thing?

• Like Like x 1
    Not that I know of, it would be prudent to do a walk through several and find one that grabs you.

Some shops have weird snotty bastards and others will greet you with a smile and want to help you find your art.

You want a personal connection and confidence with the artist, he or she will be stabbing you 60 times a second with no eraser on that bitch. :D

I would go look at this place. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scapegoat-Tattoo/123319478664