Guitarist Talk

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by ganjawrestler13, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Don't know if this has been posted yet but there is a fun virtual guitar builder at http://www.warmoth.com/

I've spent countless hours messing around with combinations of body types/different woods/stains/etc. There are some beautiful finishes ands woods, but expect to pay for it. Was still able to build by dream guitar for about half the price of a PRS.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Man where is everyone? We can't let the best guitar thread on Grasscity die, can we??

"Every living thing on Earth dies alone"

3. #143 average amount of crazy, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    Well I'll try and get things moving again by asking:
    Whats your favorite acoustic song right now? It doesn't matter whether its to listen to or play.
    Mine's Coming Home by City and Colour

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nutshell by Alice in Chains, I learned it a month or two into playing and still can't stop playing it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. My favorite acoustic song is Running Blind by Godsmack. It's mellow and chill to listen to and it puts you in that insightful, calm mood when you play it

• Like Like x 1
  6. My favorite acoustic song is Skinny Love, Bon Iver.

But lately my favorite to play is Why Georgia by John Mayer.

• Like Like x 2
  7. #147 BYOweed, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
    That's odd Toasty, I just learned both of those songs a few days ago. Both are great tunes

8. I saw Fuel live a couple days ago *they were horrible live, probably one of the worst performances I've ever seen* but I remembered their song Bittersweet, so that's the next jam on my list

9. My fav acoustic song is probably Lead me Home by Jamie N. Commons

But I've been playing She Talks to Angels by the Black Crowes quite a bit too, both are really great songs

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. http://youtu.be/LJZcwmDvzp8

11. First off, I'm an ESP guy. Second I play metal all the way from the founding fathers of metal (Black Sabbath) up untl the present and other genres but non of that pop metal. They just dont sound right to me. Stuff like metallica, megadeth, slayer, dio, judas priest, lamb of god, dream theater, Jeff Loomis, Keith Merrow, Feared and the Haunted, Guthrie Govan, Greg Howe, Amon Amarth. The list goes on. I've been working on a solo project lately which sounds killer.
    My friends and sister tried introducing me to bands like Black veil brides, or something like that, Miss may i,and bands like that. I appreciate there talent and everything but the vocals, they just sound a lil too girly for me.
    I play in two bands one a cover band the other an original band, oh and my solo project(Instrumentals)
    I also know my theory. I have on several occations tried building a guitar. The amps i use are Randall Diavlo,Bugera 6260 and a peavy valveking. Lately ive gotten very interested in fusion, funk and rock fusion.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Fellow ESP player here. Although mine is an LTD. Name's Keen and I was gettin worried that all the music threads were about rap lol. Heres some pics of my current rig. Its not fancy but for metal its the shit. I got a LTD EX-400 with an EMG 60 in the neck, and a EMG 85 in the bridge. I have a Fender Frontman amp and a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal(wich is an amazing pedal), a Devi Ever pedal thats fucking awesome! a Looper and a Signal booster. Im planing on getting me a Line 6 Spider Valve Combo soon. Right now im on a Mastodon binge. The guitar work of Brent Hinds is amazing. Tool is a huge influence on me too. My playing is definitely on the progressive side, but i can play thrash and death metal hella good too. Im currently learning Cherub Rock from The Smashing Pumpkins and Creep from Radiohead. I mostly practice my own riffs though. Post up your guitar pics guys!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. As far as music i listen to. Im blasting some Mastodon right now. brent hinds is my new fav guitar player. Some of my favs are GWAR, Slayer, The Black Dahlia Murder. Otep, MegaDeth, DethKlok, Rush, Jeff Loomis, Buckethead, Tool. Anything heavy and experimental. I also like classical as it's structure is very similar to metal. But my musical sense is definitely heading more and more towards progressive metal. Stuff like Gojira and Mastodon is sick. But i love all metal, except for maybe glam lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. ^^^Jeff Loomis, PRogressive, and shred FTW. If you like Shred I'd suggest JAson BEcker, Marty Freidman, YNGWei Malmsteen, Paul gilbert and last but not least one of the GREATEST INSTRUMENTALIST... JOE SATRIANI

• Like Like x 1
  15. Here's a pic of my RG I took a while ago, she likes it hard and she likes it fast. Ibanez makes killer fucking guitars and I'm insanely happy with this buy.
    I've been playing a bunch of different stuff lately, mostly thrash though.

Also, I agree with the guy above, Satriani is fuckin incredible

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  16. dude, your axe is sick. I really like Ibanez's. My first guitar ever was an Ibanez. Thier necks are really comfy to play. But I have to say the fastest, smoothest necks Ive played on are the compound radius fretboards on Jacksons. I used to have a Randy Rhodes V that was amazing. I sold it to get my EX 400 though. Compared to my old Jackson, My LTD just sounds way more "metal"

• Like Like x 1
  17. When Grass Was Grass: Satriani is awesome bro. him, Petrucci, and Vai are lunatics on guitar! However as far as style I have to go with Dave Mustaine. His guitar work is fuckin crazy. And FYI: Mustaine used to sell weed before he joined Metallica and got famous lol   :metal:

18. Just ordered a Modern Player Fender Strat, wish I could afford a more expensive model, but it should suffice. Cannot wait to recieve this package.

• Like Like x 2
  19. #159 SMOCATRON, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
    Favourite guitar: David Gilmour's 0001 Strat. It's just so sexy.

Favourite song to play: "Wait Until Tomorrow" - Hendrix

Favourite song while baked: Either "Fire on the Mountain" by Grateful Dead or "She's My Best Friend" by Lou Reed

20. #160 BYOweed, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
    Got it today..

1414116152123.jpg

And I'm lovin it.

• Like Like x 2