Jeep Or Truck?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by The Brad, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Get a comanche

[​IMG]

2. They look cool I don't want something that old for a daily driver. Never knew that's what those were called.

3. Those trucks are badass. Been thinking about looking for one to tinker on.

I dont do drugs, I set plants on fire and breathe.

4. You will be a badass if you drive one on the daily.What are you afraid of?the worlds most reliable straight six breaking down?

5. Not afraid of anything really They just don't appeal to me I'm sure there great vehicles

6. [​IMG]Tacomas are great.

7. arnt they IFS? sooooo shit...

it might be reliable but doesnt mean its not going to guzzle fuel and drip fluids everywhere haha

9. Well, considering the s10 also had independent front suspension, it corners better, and pretty much everything on the road better. You can go to torsion beam like on the ranger, but its pretty harsh,the only nice part is that using a key you can raise or lower slightly. But that changes the spring rate relative to the suspension geometry. And the Taco is probably the most off road used truck. And one of the most popular options to make a street truck with. I am not sure if meant solid axle, but that doesn't work all that well on the street, or going around a corner

10. but the dude has asked for a jeep or truck. ie solid axle. that tacoma looks like it would have a diff drop on it as well.

the tacoma is hardly the most used off road truck. its made for towing loads, not real work ;) toyota sell way more cruisers then tacomas. 141,365 tacomas vs 419,769 cruisers (2012). 

i used to own a ranger, and there is a bit more to it then just adjusting the torsions. you need to get full wheel alignments etc and even then it will throw all your geometry (CV angles) out. IFS off road is useless due to the lack of flex, clearance or customization (lift). it is no way shape or form made up for by their on road performance.

11. You really don't sound like you know what you're talking about.

quite the opposite ive worked on 4wds all my life, worked for the worlds biggest aftermarket 4wd parts supplier, trained by one of the best suspension companies. oh did i mention i live in the middle of no where where most people own 4wds? 

IFS breaks constantly/wears out easily and will cost you an arm and a leg to upgrade/fix. again and again and again. oh and if you break something offroad good luck trying to get home.

13. That's funny cuz I own a 2.7L 4 wheel drive taco and hardly hear about people breaking IFS suspension parts. I'm speaking about tacomas specifically now. What are these parts being broken? Oem or after market? I'm in the process of upgrading so I've bone a good bit of reading on this subject. Also, you stated that the suspension selection is limited. How so? The tacoma has a huge aftermarket following and plenty of guys SAS em.

14. And depends what country you're in. An fj is pretty rare in Canada. 4runners are somewhat popular. I would take its any day if the week. If your daily drive is all off road crawling ya maybe a solid front axle would be OK. But if you have to turn a corner its rules. Hence why it has been used in common road going vehicles for so friggin long

control arms, bushs, cvs, ball joints. mostly oem but ive seen some dodgy aftermarket stuff as well.

its limited because you cant really get any gains height or flex wise in IFS. even with new UCAs you still have to drop your diff for anything over 30mm lift due to CV and other angels, and even then it costs you ground clearance (which is terrible anyway) and doesnt really get you much more flex. infact if you push your geometry to far you end up with very little downward travel in your wheels which is disastrous. always have to laugh when you see something torsion based wound out to the max that obviously has never been offroad.

SAS is a whole different kettle of fish and not even worth commenting on unless you have $$$$ and time and you just proved that ifs is shit by even talking about it :p

fj/tacoma/hilux/4runner/prado etc all run on more or less the same front end suspension setup. the only reason why tacoma's rear handles well on the road is due to the underrated leafs they run in them, sacrafising load (500kg vs 1100kg in a hilux). i run coil all round on my daily and it drives amazingly.

17. I'm not saying the IFS suspension is the shit but I also don't think SAS is the be all end all for offroad use. I'm also not really arguing the flex issue. I'm just saying the suspension on these trucks don't break down all that easily. I have seen some trucks wheeled real hard and not have issues. People buy shit parts and that's really not the trucks fault. For the offroading I do I don't think SAS is really a good idea anyway.

18. #38 The Brad, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1405262046.001095.jpg
    Yea guys so I'm pretty much decided on a f150 this is about what im looking at. Don't like the red this is just a pic I took at a dealer. I'm in the hunt for a grey/blue/black reg cab. Just had to put $500 dollars worth if work into my ranger this week so idk if I wanna keep it for a little while more to sort if make it worth it haha...