Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Safely Transporting Meds On Vacation

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by azfox, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Hi all! I've really learned a lot from the awesome folks on this site! Many thanks! I have a new question....I live in a legal state but will be traveling east this summer. I am older and don't know if I can drive it safely....I would like to fly but I don't know how to keep my meds with me! I need them daily....I am going to a sort of legal state...highly restricted but legal for cancer patients. I don't know how to get them out there so I can use them. I had thought of sending them ahead through FedEx, but no place to deliver them to. It's almost a 14 hour drive for me and I am almost 70, so it will be difficult at best. Does anyone know what the airline rules are on this? I really don't need a headache! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and welcome! Feel free to PM me with suggestions! I'm not a drug runner, I need my meds! Thanks all!  :gc_rocks:

2. I'd do without for a while rather than risk getting busted....but that's just me....

3. Your meds are unfortunately a schedule 1 controlled substance, and trying to bring them on a flight is not only illegal but could be considered trafficking.

4. DO NOT try to fly them

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Drive

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6.  Slow..

7. TBH, I wouldn't' even risk driving. Jurisdictions and attitudes from the authorities can change so much from county to county, let alone state to state that it can make it a major hassle to try travelling with your meds.

8. I've heard that TSA will leave you alone if you're flying from a legal state to another legal state; though it can depend upon whether the locations are 420 friendly. Perhaps Google "flying from your city to your destination." Also, Arizona, Delaware, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire and Rhode Island have reciprocity.

If you're talking about putting concentrate into a checked bag, it is pretty easy to disguise (e.g. put concentrate into capsules and put them in an OTC supplement container or put concentrate into a shampoo bottle). I'd still ask myself whether the destinations have district attorneys likely to prosecute a 70 year-old for transporting MMJ for personal medical use.

9. #9 CheyCobb, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    I recently flew to several cities in the US with oils and edibles and no one at any point even looked at me sideways. I am not advising anyone else to do this, but my husband and I decided to test travelling with my meds and we were prepared to make "fair access to meds" an issue if I were arrested or detained at any point. If you're not prepared for the consequences, then you shouldn't do it.

My meds were in the form of capsules and candy that looks/smells like tootsie rolls. The capsules were placed with my other meds (in bottles) and the candy was left in its packaging and taken aboard in my carry-on. I also had oils in syringes that I carried with my e-cigarette accessories.

I also have a GOES/Trusted Traveler card which allows me expedited security through special lanes in major cities. (http://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs). Of course I always carried my doctor's MMJ letter with me, as well as my MMJ card. Last, but not least, I kept several important phone numbers with me, written down, in case I did not have access to my phone. (Who remembers phone numbers anymore???) Amongst those phone numbers were NORML offices and several pro-MMJ attorneys. Needless to say, I was well-prepared for a battle ... a battle that never came.

Before I traveled, I checked the TSA regs. The TSA says that it's only concern is passenger safety and that they are not a law enforcement agency. I also checked several travel forums to see what others say on the subject, and everyone in the US seemed to say the same thing: the TSA is not interested in busting you, but don't shove their noses in it, etiher. And, I suspect the dogs in US airports are more interested in bomb material smells than in weed. None of the dogs I saw exhibited any kind of interest in me.

Last words: Be careful. Be prepared for the consequences. You have a right to treat your medical conditions.

10. Definitely drive the meds. Since its a long haul, best to purchase a canine-proof bag like a Gonzo Bag online, put it in ur trunk and drive safely. 

11. I fly all the time with meds but only ground herb. I have my own question on tinctures vs caps. With pregrind herb packed tight into an empty burtbees can or small altoids can you can get an 1/8 in easy. Seal the tin with tape and put with shower bag. Check it. I have carried on before to but your choice checking is safe.

TSA is not there to look for cannabis if it can be smelled by them then they will look. The tin keeps the xray from seeing what's inside keep it small and you will be fine!

12. A metal tin won't hide shit from a defrac xray

13. Have stood there and watched my bags go through and the standard xray the box is grayed out especially when packed full...

14. BUT you MUST use gloves when transferring the weed from _____ to the bag or tub or whatever, if ANY even tiny traces of weed get on the outside of the container, and the dogs are trained for weed scents they probably will detect it. And don't touch weed such as rolling a joint then touch this jar, anyway good luck. If they bother a 70yr old man for medicating himself legally then they can burn in hell. :) Toke On

15. Trip was taken and no issues whatsoever!!! Checked my meds in my check in baggage to load on the plane. Everything was very cool....don't recommend it for everyone, but it did work for me and I'm happy about it! I didn't go in thinking that I was going to haul a bunch for sale (I don't and can't do that ) but I was able to have my meds with me on my trip! Made it much more enjoyable not being sleepless and in pain! Thanks all for your contributions to this chat....as I said, if you take meds on your vacation, don't do what I did! It just worked for me....this time! ;)

16. What about nugs? I prefer it over concentrates/edibles

17. Airplanes are notoriously scary for absolutely no reason. You act like you're about to smuggle a bomb. They don't give a fuck, carry it on with you for sure unless you want them to search and see it and possibly give you a hard time. Just triple bag and act like its really your medication. Bottles and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. I've traveled overseas by air several times since my last posting and have experienced no scarey moments. (Knock On Wood!!) In England my bag was extensively searched by a very polite and respectful security guard who even apologized for detaining me so long. (TSA should take note: you don't have to scowl at everyone in line.....)

For those who are interested in carrying raw flower with them, I typically grind my flowers finely and then load them into large gelatin capsules. I wrap the caps in saran wrap and then put them in an opaque container that had been full of an over-the-counter herbal supplement. Although there is a slight odor, no one made any comments about it.

I'd also like to mention that some countries in Europe have liberal cannabis laws. In fact, in Spain, you are allowed to smoke recreationally if you join a "smokers club". You are only allowed to smoke at home or in the club lounge.

I don't encourage people to do this but, if you really need your meds (as I do), then you should also be prepared for unpleasant consequences. I certainly wouldn't travel with my meds to the Middle East or other countries where long prison sentences (or even death sentences) are common for marijuana possession.