Does It Ever Make Sense To Answer The Door If Youre Not Expecting Someone?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by walterbishop, Jun 23, 2014.

1. We've probably all been there. You're home alone, enjoying your high, then all of a sudden, KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!!!

So what do you normally do? Probably seems like an obvious answer at first, open the door. Right?

But when I think about what usually happens when I open the door when there's an unexpected knock or ring, it's never anything good.

-Solicitors selling things.

-Contractors who are, "doing work in the neighborhood and noticed your windows needed and upgrade!"

-Kids selling newspaper subscriptions to pay for college. Because that's my responsibility when I have my own damn loans to pay off.

-People trying to sell you on their religion.

-And worst of all, one time the damn cops looking for a stolen iphone they got a GPS ping on on my block. Right after I smoked. And they fucking arrested me. Got 5 months of probation left! No kidding.

-Not to mention the potential of a forced entry/robbery. It happens, never to me, but apparently it does.

In these times where pretty much everyone including homeless people seem to have a mobile phone of some sort, is it crazy to think it makes absolutely zero sense to bother opening the door when you get an unexpected knock?

I mean, if you're my bud, you have my number. You're going to call me if I don't answer, or better yet before you stop in.

So what do you think blades? Am I crazy to think there's no point in answering the door for random knocks? Or do you just throw caution to the wind and open every time you get an unexpected visitor?

p.s. I have no peep hole. Lol... But even if you do, do you open the door for randoms?

[​IMG]

2. I got served, for my father.

I forgot that actually happened to me once as well! For my wife.

So I take it you may be thinking what I'm thinking. No need in the age of technology to answer random knocks?

4. I don't. 

It's always either a solicitor or the Jehovah's Witnesses around here. My friends all know to call first. 

5. I always look before I open.

6. I made the mistake of letting a homeless Guy crash at my place once, nothing against the homeless but now he randomly knocks on my door atleast once a month trying to crash at my place. Told him no atleast 10 times but he keeps showing up

7. #7 lFourTwenty, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
    Never answer the jehovah's witness people..they will talk for as long as you're polite. Pretty much have to tell them to fuck off before they will leave.

edit: Even if you lie and tell them you go to a church, they still think it's their duty to convert you to their religion lol

What do you do if you don't know the person who knocked?

9. I have a friend who is one of those contractors haha. He does roofs and honestly his business is legit, I had trouble believing it but he showed me that he gets payed by insurance companies to go around door to door telling people their roof needs an upgrade. It is pretty good pay as well!

10. I tell them that I worship Satan and that Jehovah's Witnesses make good sacrifices to the dark lord. I kinda like when they come to the door, it is fun to see the looks on their faces when you show up wearing all black with hair in your face holding a dagger :smoke:

11. I answer my door armed with grenades and the pins in my teeth.

12. fuck that, I never answer the door.  I'm traumatized because of probation, every time I hear knocking my stomach drops

I wasn't necessarily implying it isn't legit. Just that if I need work done on my house, I have the internet, phone books, etc etc to find a contractor to do it. I don't really need a pop up inspection.

I feel you bud. As I stated in my opening post, I've got 5 moths left. So close I can taste it. Lol..

All because I opened the damn door! Lol...

14. Yeah I am just saying that I was surprised to find out that these companies are legit haha. It seems so sketchy, the promise of a free roof is nothing to fuck with in my opinion but he actually holds his end of the bargain and gets people free roofs. The surprise inspection would take me off guard if I was super stoned but it turns out that a lot of those people are just as stoned as I am, well at least that is how it is where I live.

15. That's all bad bro lol. They came for a surprise visit the day before I got off 3 year probation and I tested dirty and got 2 months in county and another year probation :/

I'm the same way about solicitors too, even if I needed a new roof I would tell him I'm straight and then look up a contractor online haha

Damn. See this is what I'm getting at.

There appears to be no good reason to answer random knocks/rings at your door ever.

17. If I'm bored, I don't minding wasting the solicitors time.

18. If I look and it's not a neighbor or someone else I know, I just walk away from the door. As a female, I do not want to be opening my door to potentially shady people from whom I can't defend myself. 

19. #19 walterbishop, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014

My wife won't answer the door either. But she's a bit crazy like me. I seriously can't think of one damn good reason to answer the door for random knocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_NrIfXUlCo

20. I take a look, see if I know them.. if I don't.. I ask them what the fuck they want....... and why the fuck their using the fancy door knocker instead of knocking like a normal person