The Firewood Vape Appreciation Club/thread

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by ren.dnb, Jun 20, 2014.

1. #21 lwien, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014

Really?  About the only thing they have in common is that they're both made out of wood.  

Even their basic operation is different in that the FireWood is mostly convection with some conduction going on and the MFLB is almost all conduction with a bit of IR going on and no convection.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Well to a layman that was my first impression of it.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Yeah, conservation of weed and just in time delivery without waiting times are also high on my priority list.

You just put a pinch in the trench, take a hit or two, leave it on your desk and forget all about it and find it back later to finish it. The MFLB is so casual. No waiting times or need to finish a load in one go (I guess the last part is the same as with the firewood?), just hit it whenever you want.

Still, I'm curious, but not yet infected by VAS :)

Hey @[member="boydamien"]! I wouldn't call it a rip off or a knock off MFLB; its not like that at all. As @[member="lwien"] said, their operations are different and the way they get the job done is different. The way I look at it, is its another portable wooden style vape with manual controls SIMILAR to the MFLB. Other than that, it stands by itself simply because its convection which means its operation is different.

When I purchased mine, I was curious to see if it would in fact cause me to shelf my MFLB. I haven't done that with the MFLB, and don't plan to anytime soon. For me, owning both, its nice to have the option of using either/or vape; the Firewood is more of a "sit down and relax" type of experience as opposed to having the MFLB while I'm doing something outside or what not. At least thats what I've noticed from having them. 

Check out this blog post I made comparing the efficiency of both vapes..

Bottom line the Firewood is a bit more efficient than the MFLB for me. Again, thats my perspective, others mileage may vary. I can get more out of .1g from the Firewood than the MFLB.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ok lads I just thought it was, evidently im wrong lol
    I wouldnt buy one, but if ever Im in the company of someone who has one I'll be sure to ask for a shot.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    If you ever try one, you're liable to want one :)

• Like Like x 1
    Thank you! I will check it out now.

8. #28 ren.dnb, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
    Figured I'd bump this thread back up to the top. Looks like there may be some new Firewood owners on the horizon and I'd love to hear their experiences with the vape.

A few months into my ownership of a Firewood, and I'm still loving the vape. I do have a new vape coming today so the NVS (New Vape Syndrome) will probably push this one off to the side for a little bit while I review the new one (The Hammer if you're curious). Beyond that, the Firewood has been my go to daily driver for awhile now. I've got the technique mastered to the point that I can get some nice clouds out of the vape and end up with a nice dark mocha colored ABV.

It always gets be where I need to be, and the flavor just doesn't quit. I still use my MFLB as my traveller vape but the Firewood usually comes along since I'll use the MFLB when I'm out and about as opposed to at home. 

If anyone else has a Firewood and wants to share their story please post it up! I know @[member="foppinanrockin"] got his connected to a waterpipe...

• Like Like x 1
  9. #29 foppinanrockin, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    Yes! I did connect it to a water pipe. Here are some pics of the updated version!

First I cut off some of the included high-temp silicone tubing, placed it around the capsule, and then shaved it down to get a snug fit in the Firewood well. Then I used my new Underdog stem I ordered and placed it like the pictures show on the top part, making sure to put the rubber O-ring on the bottom for a nice seal with the well in the Firewood. So now I use my firewood like a sort of dugout (UD stem is super easy to load), and I also use it upside down like a log vape on this little mini bong. This shit rips, I'm in love with this new mod! Also adds a nice convenience factor for loading on the go or at a friend's place.

Credit for the original mod idea goes to Scrimshaw at FC on the Firewood thread.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    I did a blog post on this very subject.. I pitted the MFLB vs the Firewood and efficiency was one of the categories:

http://forum.grasscity.com/blog/9877/entry-12779-firewood-21-vs-magic-flight-launch-box/

Check it out =) But to give you the short, the Firewood is slightly better when it comes to conservation. The MFLB conserves better when you get a really fine grind with the Finishing Grinder. As far as raw numbers go, I put anywhere from .1g to .2g into the Firewood and it gives me 6-8 good hits off the vape.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Just got my firewood and I'm having some trouble, I cant seem to get this thing to work and im getting shit in my mouth. I had similar issues when I first got my pax so im not panicking. Im hoping one ofyou can steer me in the right direction and give me some usage tips... I watched the video on their website and was doing what that guy did in realtime and I got nothing

12. Your weed is ground a tad too finely if it's going in your mouth. I had that issue as well. Use a coarser grind, and make sure to draw in VERY slowly and gently. If you can hear the air hole whistling you are drawing in too fast. I find that I usually need to heat/draw a few seconds longer than the video to see the vapor. For me, I was worried it didn't work at first either. It just took a few tries to get the hang of it.
    My best advice, and what I tell my friends, is after preheating and the initial draw, hold the power for ~10 seconds, start drawing till ~16 seconds, let go of power then draw till ~25 seconds. Use this basic method and then adjust accordingly to your usage. The key thing I've found is draw slow enough not to make the hole whistle! Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  13. #33 ren.dnb, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    Do you feel the side of the Firewood getting hot to the touch? It should around the 3rd toke. If not let us know... you may have to contact Marc for warranty support.

Also as @[member="foppinanrockin"] said, the Firewood likes a medium grind. Anything finer and it could pass through the screen on the mouthpiece. After a few uses though the mouthpiece will stop almost any crumbs that could passthrough. Let the honey oil build up on it and just brush it off. Alternatively you could pop a screen in on top of the load; I have seen this done on FC to deter any crumbs in the mouth.

I got clouds off my first use, so I'm curious if your Firewood gets hot to the touch after 3 or so tokes :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Its definitely getting hot, I'm thinking the problem is user related. from my experience portables are always a little finicky

I may have over packed it, I think I saw someone say they put .2 in I put a .4 so that may have been it I definitely remember a whistling sounds

Ill try again when I get off of work and post back

Thanks guys !

• Like Like x 1
    Yeah, try packing a little less in there... about 1/4 full to start =) then try 1/3 full. I prefer about 1/3 myself.

Also you do want to have a gap between the spring/screen on the bottom of the mouthpiece and the top of the load. You can check it after you pop in the load by just putting the mouthpiece on the capsule before you pop it in the Firewood. I usually keep about 1/2 a centimeter to 3/4 of a centimeter; which does add up to the 1/4 to 1/3 fill on the capsule.

Anyway keep us posted and let us know how you fare after these tips. The Firewood can produce some nice clouds but it takes a little practice with timing the heating.

My method is similar to @[member="foppinanrockin"] and basically identical to the video:
    • Pop in the capsule and start heating up the vape.
    • At about 15-20 seconds, while still holding in the button, I start a very slow draw (think drinking a milkshake through a straw), the Firewood really loves a slow draw. If it starts whistling a little bit, you're drawing a bit too fast. 
    • I continue my initial draw till 25-30 seconds and release button. I try to continue the draw until 30-35 seconds, after I've released the button.
    • After that, for the next hit, I hold down the button before taking a toke and at 7 seconds I start my draw, continue taking a slow draw until 20-25 seconds, release the button, and exhale.
    • After the second hit, all the other hits I take, I release the button at around 15-20 seconds before exhaling.
    If the Firewood is getting hot, you're vape is OK. Sounds like you're going through the workflow break-in process :) I was able to get some clouds off it the first day, but it took me a week or so of messing with it to really get some decent clouds off it. Didn't matter either way, cloud or no cloud the thing got me pretty vaped.

17. As soon as I went to unpack the capsule I figured out no air could have possibly been going through, also I was definitely drawing to fast.

Still mastering it so thanks for sharing techniques !

• Like Like x 1
    Np! Sounds like you're on the road to getting the Firewood pumping out some vapor for you! Keep us updated and let us know if you have any more questions!

19. I just got my Firewood in the mail, it's on the charger currently. I'm so excited. :D

20. Good choice yosh I love the design of the firewood and the guy who makes it takes care of his customers. The firewood is currently on my list of vapes to purchase...and a log...and an lsv...the list goes on and on.