Fasting

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by BigBlazer, Jun 20, 2014.

1. A few days ago I was fasting for a couple of days and then I quit because I believe I didn't do it properly, and now for about a week, while I was fasting, I read up on the act. Fasting is a wonderful decision to make, and if done correctly is the best way to heal your body. Digestion takes up more energy than anything else and staying hydrated is an important part of the body. It keeps the skin healthy, brain functioning optimal, body flexible, cells at top performance, and much more. Fat is the hardest substance for the human body to break down, and many impurities get stored in similar to how THC get stored in fat cells. While I was fasting I was still working out, I didn't realize fasting is COMPLETE rest of the body so it can heal itself. I believe eveyone should do a long fast at least once in their life. Well as I vacation in the Carribean soon, I will start a 4 week fast and do it properly.

2. What kind of fasting do you do? Regular 24hr, 48hr? Or was it just a one time thing? Check out intermittent fasting - tons of great info. Some days I do 16/8, some days I do 18/6 or I'll just fast so long because its a hectic day at work. It's something I am still tweaking and I don't do it daily but I love a good cardio session fasted.

3. Fasting has been proven to heal, and im doing it for healing my cavities, and for prayer.

But I work m-f so im not sure if i should fast cuz my job is pretty fast paced.

Thinking of a water only fast for 7 days

4. Interesting information! I have wanted to fast for awhile now but I would have to take time off of work and I just cannot afford to. Perhaps during this fall semester during winter break? Though, maybe during the winter would be a bad idea, for multiple reasons. I am going to look into this more. Thanks for the inspiration, BigBlazer!

5. #5 well highdrated, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
    you should try water fast for 2-3 days (over the weekend starting friday night for example).

see if you like this and can easily do it. first few days are the hardest ... i did 8 days (i think) once. after day 5 i just got bored with it. but most food cravings and thoughts passed. you do feel lighter obviously and it's an interesting experience. 

personally unless i have a good reason to, i'd not try it again. just don't see the need to. 

6. I've been intermittent fasting (16/8) for a couple years now, hate meal planning so it works nice for me.  

7. #7 guest30011140, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Fasting is terrible for you! I can't believe no one has said this yet. Well highdrated!? You should know not to fast by now.

The only exception would be fasting for spiritual reasons - but as far as health... nope.

You fasted to ask God to spiritually heal your unhealthiness? Well, I can't argue with that.

Highdrated - I guess I should have read the last line of your three-line post. Haha.

8. #8 lovepeacelyssa, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
    I've never tried fasting. Mainly because well...i'm not really religious. And I require my once a week sushi to last. But its worth trying for a small period of time. If I see the results first had I'll probably extend the amount of time.

9. He was referring to someone's account name...which is well highdrated

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Oops...did not see that lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. I fast for a couple hours every once in a while.

12. Fasting indeed heals your body. Your digestion takes alot of energy. No digesting of food leaves energy to be used elsewhere. I've heard of some people using fasting to cure cavities and other ailments.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

13. 4 weeks? You gonna end up in ICU with tubes running into your viens. I can't go beyond 24 hours because I am diabetic. But a 24-48 hour fast every now and then should be good.

14. fasting cures dental cavities? You mean they go away and the tooth enamel heals all by itself?

15. Honestly I've heard about this, but how the hell do you guys deal with the hunger pangs? If I don't eat for 12 hours I start getting serious hunger pangs and I just don't think I could handle it for a few days, let alone like a 7 day fast.

I love you.

Well man first off that's not real hunger it's addiction. It's your body freaking out due to a difference in your eating cycle.

Here read this

http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/lesson-three-how-does-hunger-feel/

If it goes away after a while it wasn't real hunger.

18. #18 BigBlazer, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014

I don't know what would happen if someone didn't eat or drink for a couple weeks, I did the fast which was a water fast and I'm still alive and not in the ICU: it was a renewing experience.

19. there is no way you fasted for 4 weeks only drinking water. I just don't believe it, maybe I read your quote wrong. A human simply could not function on a day to day basis. David Blaine did a fast for 44 days I believe and it almost killed him. Think he lost like 55 pounds and his liver and kidneys were all fucked up after. Believe it or not the "refeeding" process is an extremely dangerous risk of long period fasting. Personally I just don't see the point of it.

20. i hate to break it to you, but not eating wont do anything for your teeth. what mechanism of action do you see happening there?