Societys Unhealthy Obsession With hard Work, And Other Qualms

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by LuxTenebris, Jun 20, 2014.

1. #1 LuxTenebris, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
    Have you ever noticed how our whole lives the idea of the only way to make it in life, is to work your ass off for over half of your life, so that you can one day retire when youre too old to give your time and soul to the society that so graciously allows us to break our back for them so that we may be comfortable... ish in our last few decades, is drilled into our heads with such vigor, that if you dare to say "why should I have to sell my free time to some asshat who couldnt give less a shit about me" you are immediately ostracized and told thats not how the world works and to suck it up?

If youre like me, and completely disagree with the roles and expectations forced on us, you have. But im not the only one who feels this way, or has noticed that the whole "hard work is the only way" concept, is inherently flawed.

Here are some thoughts on the subject, not from some random person who thinks hard work is a sham, designed to force us all into wage slavery, like myself, but from established and well respected authors

Seth Godin, author of the book, Linchpin, which discusses how the only way to succeed is to make yourself indispensable, has this to say on it, in said book:

“I grew up in a world where people did what they were told, followed instructions, found a job, made a living, and that was that.” He goes on to say “We live in a world where all the joy and profit has been squeezed out of following the rules.” He observes “the easier people are to replace, the less they need to be paid”. Seth tells us that just over a century ago, the system we know today didn't even exist. We grew up thinking it's always been there, but it hasn't. This system where, according to Seth Godin, people “show up, work hard, listen to the boss, stick it out and get rewarded” has only been around for a hundred years or so.

And wait for it. Seth tells us, “that's a scam” and that if we're in that system, we've been scammed.

Think about that, how many of you, struggle to make ends meet, go to a job you hate with a boss youre convinced couldnt succesfully divide 24 by 8, let alone dress themselves, how many of you are there just doing what youre told because "thats how the world works"? How many of you are indispensable? How many of you are more than just easily replaced mindless automatons in their eyes?

Robert Kiyosaki, author of Rich Dad Poor Dad has this to say:

"The Rich don't work for money" So how do they make it? By having it work for them. Kiyosaki also says in the book, “When a person says, ‘I need to find a job,' it's most likely fear doing the thinking. For example, if the fear of not having money arises, instead of immediately running out and getting a job, they instead might ask themselves this question: “Will a job be the best solution to this fear over the long run?' In my opinion, the answer is no.” Kiyosaki tells us that “a job is really a short-term solution to a long-term problem,” the problem can be seen in the addage, cash rules everything around me, money is not optional, if we want to live.

How many of you can deny that? How many of you would kill not to have to work everyday, but do, just because you need money? How many of you would love to live your life on your own time? How many of you have been fired, or dropped or what the fuck ever, and thrown right back into the chaos you were trying to stay out of, without a second thought, by someone who presumes themselves your better?

Tim Ferris, author of 4-hour Workweek:

Tim Ferris tells us that “money alone is not the solution.” He continues “‘If only I had more money' is the easiest way to postpone the intense self-examination and decision-making necessary to create a life of enjoyment – now rather than later.” And moreso "busy yourself with the routine of the money wheel, pretend it's the fix-all and you artfully create a constant distraction that prevents you from seeing just how pointless is is.” He ends by saying “the problem is more than money.”

That one is pretty self explanatory, people use jobs as an escape from the real issues.

Thats just jobs, lets look at our society's obsession with working hard itself and its flaws.

http://www.neweconomics.org/blog/entry/why-are-we-so-obsessed-with-hard-work

While using European countries as examples, anyone from The USA can tell you thats extremely relevant here as well.

Hell that one even delved into one I hadnt thought of, the effects of this obsession on our enviroment. I especially like the mention of "our fetish of labor productivity" which is another spin on the title of this thread.

Im not done yet

http://theconversation.com/obsession-with-hard-work-is-a-dangerous-distraction-18809

While this talks about politicians, how many times have you heard from your fellow man that if youre not working hard you wont succeed? I've probably heard it more times than days most of you have been alive.

I could go on and on with links, but if you read this far you get the idea, so I shall close here.

My thoughts on the matter, hell just read the title, out obsession with hard work is unhealthy. The fact that people who dare to say it is are immediately discredited as lazy punks, is wrong. How can you live in the world we live in, and not see how wrong it is, to sell your soul to clowns who think theyre better than you, while you waste your time which could be spent on leisurs, friends, family, working for table scraps just so you dont have to live on the fucking streets? And then have the gall, to tell someone who points this out to you, that they are just some clueless lazy kid, when they obviously care more about your well being than you do?

Well there you go, so now discuss.

Edit: This evolved to include other issues, so I updated the title

2. I see why you are frustrated but I don't see how the problem can be solved other than playing the game and getting the top. Or going off the grid.

3. And thats the biggest problem.

Short of insane luck, you almost have to play the game. A game that in all likelihood you will lose.

Thats whats wrong, that we have to play a game we cannot realistically win

4. During the Industrial Revolution I think hard work was needed in order to progress to where we are today. It was normal to work 10-12 hour days back then and hardly get paid well for it, but it was instilled in the psyche of the American workers and immigrants who came here seeking a better life. I see today's generation of youngsters and they aren't very family oriented in their values like the hard working Americans of yesterday. Providing for your family is the motivation for that "unhealthy obsessions" for hard work. Take me for example, I don't want a family so I don't have the desire to break my back working 6 or 7 days a week to provide for others. I can put in my honest 40 hrs a week and have enough to live the lifestyle I want to live, and still have money to put in the bank. 

5. #5 The Brad, Jun 20, 2014
    I see way more lazy people than workaholics at my job at least.

6. You have to start somewhere to get anywhere. 

Society isn't going to hand you a house and a steady income for doing nothing. 

7. i like working hard

8. I can agree with that.

But here's a flaw.

If I were to choose, to build my own house, with my own time and effort, after all that, I would still need to a job, just to live. Cant pay your taxes? No house for you, in a cage you go.

Even were we to be sefl sufficient, we still need money. How do we get money? By selling our time and bodies. Why should we have to?

Ill agree that if we want to be luxurious, then yes, we should earn it. But, why should we have to do all that just for basic necessities of life?

Of course you would still need a job to live. Do you think food, money, clothing, utilities should all be free? If everyone stopped working, society would stop functioning. 

I think you have an unhealthy obsession with doing no work at all. :poke: 

10. I think we should be able to live basic lives without the necessity of wage slavery.

Lets say I forego electricity, learn to hunt, and grow my own food.

I STILL need a job, so I can pay property taxes, nevermind I own the land.

Now a life of luxury is different. People dont need to be given that. But everyone has a right to basic necessities for life

11. there's no way out unless you go way out and even then you're in

You want basic necessities, get a bed at a homeless shelter and meals from a soup kitchen. :p 

Who do you think should have to work? There are a lot of shit jobs out there that some people are going to have to do in order for society to even keep functioning. But you shouldn't have to do them, so who should? 

13. #13 Buddha_Man, Jun 20, 2014
    Pretty long thread for someone that's clearly a lazy individual

14. my grandfather worked the LA docks for 30 years before he became foreman. he was foreman for 10 more years before he retired in 1996. 

i dont mind hard work. im in better shape than my boss. 

15. No one.

No one should have to work a job they dont want just because our society is built around the flawed idea everyone has to chip in. No, it is your choice if you should chip in.

What does society do for someome who exists in the scenario I proposed? Who built their own house, who owns their land, who produces all their own food, who doesnt either doesnt use electricity, or built something to harness the sun or wind?

Nothing. They take care of themselves, and yet they still have to chip in, to a society that doesnt care about them, and does nothing for them.

16. Wow what a spectacular input, post of the fucking year right here

17. thats cool though, because you like it.

Alot of people dont.

But dude, the whole point of an economy is it's more efficient for one guy to grow food for everyone, and then in return he gets his house built and his garbage taken away, etcetera. Money is simply a streamlining of that interaction.

Why shouldn't you have to chip in? Every single living thing that's ever existed has had to work to survive. That is, simply, how the world works. I see you criticizing a lot of things but I don't see a ton of solutions coming from you.

The idea of working a job that you don't want is that it's a stepping stone to better jobs. That's why I said if you don't start somewhere, you'll never get anywhere. 

No one is going to throw a perfect job at you, you start from the bottom and work your way up just like everyone else.  

You talk about providing people basic necessities, but being against having to pay property taxes. How do you propose we fund those basic necessities? Just pull them out of our collective assholes?

We pay taxes for public schools, for roads and public transportation, and yeah sometimes to even help people who can't work (not just choose not to). 

You want people to have all these things but you don't want to have anything to do with providing it. 

20. Im not going to presume to answer things I dont have am answer to.

What Im pointing out is the inherent flaws of the ideaology.

Trust me if I knew what to do, Id share it with the world. But its not an answer I have