Breaking News: New York State Finally Getting Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by garrison68, Jun 20, 2014.

1. I've heard it's fairly easy to get a medical card is this true? It was a documentary from Colorado or Cali and people were getting a card for stupid shit like nose bleeds.

Start having lots of unprotected sex with hookers, and get an apartment right next to a microwave cell tower. I'd say in 2 years, you'll probably be sick enough to get a med card.

3. What?

Do you have cancer or epilepsy?

4. yup. Policies like this are just plain bullshit. If i lived in NY and got the recommendation... I would grow and the cops could fuck right off

5. nah but who knows it might be like Cali.... I had friends who went to Cali and told me that there's people that just give you a medical card. So hopefully when everything is set up I can find one of those people. And If not my mom could always get it.

6. nah I'll stick to looking for one of those crooked docs who just hand out med cards to people who want them.

damn bro! the screwed up system is not even set up and you are trying to screw the screwed up system. guess it makes sense, if it made any sense we would not feel the need to screw it!

8. You might want to actually read the article before commenting.  It is not going to be one bit like CA. 

9. lol what? I'm lost...

I already read the article bro I know it's not like Cali at all lol but that doesn't mean there's going to be docs who just give out cards to whoever. I'm pretty sure not only in Cali but in every medical state there's docs that are set up to handout cards to whoever wants them.

10. I was commenting to the guy trying to screw the system before it even starts. the exact reason the prohibs have hard ons for demon weed

11. He wasn't talking about you. He was agreeing and calling out peacefultoker14 immature pheggot trying to ruin it for the legit people who need it.

At least be smart.  Don't need to tell the whole world your secret evil plan on a public forum you pheggot

12. Hahaha!!!! Have fun with your "feel good" bill NYS. Most certainly, the ones who will reap in the most over this bill are celebrating and counting the dollars already that they will soon, legally, be in for. Notice I didn't mention the "patients" or the residents who just want to enjoy Cannabis.
    It's still under control by those who feel they are entitled to control.

13. maybe it's not a great bill, but ...

1. it's yet another state with a medical program. are we reaching a tipping for federal government to do something? (at least re-schedule or allow more research?)

2. it still mentions that additional conditions, like ptsd might be included in the future.

3. by having some sort of program in place, people now have leverage. they negotiate for improvements... you can't start negotiating for everything when you have nothing. 

14. Not bickering just posing a thought....

Shouldn't citizens, at this point be entitled to START with a workable program like CA or Co? Every new mmj bill acts like it's the first in the country and very timid.

I agree with maintaining positive outlook... It just feels to me that more would be accomplished by leveraging our national successes, working together not dividing ourselves. Ie Co demonstrates good mj program, why should other states shoot themselves in the foot, completely re invent the wheel and start from scratch?

The citizens deserve better. Private interest bill, this likely is.

15. #35 garrison68, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
    I am no stranger to cynicism, but I don't think that anybody stands to make much profit from this bill, as it currently is written.  Governor Cuomo has never been supportive of MMJ, and only signed off on this very limited legislation because of pressure.  Nobody is 100% satisfied with it, in fact not a single person will even be able get MMJ in NYS for at least a year and a half, but it's a start.  

For the record, I am in favor of full legalization for anybody over 18 years old, and medical use for those under 18 who have a condition that would qualify them for treatment with it.  

16. You really have no idea how it works do you. They are putting limits to the number of people that a dr can prescribe. Go over that number and get audited and loose their license.
    But I am sure what you read you found on the internet so it must be true.

17. nah what I read was right here on this thread. But thanks for the facts I didn't know they were putting a limit on the New York dr. In a way isn't that kind of fucked up though? I'm not talkin. About me I'm talking about like people who actually need it. What if there's someone who actually has cancer and needs marijuana and they go to a dr but the dr already reached the limit? Is there anything tht dr can do or no?

18. I am not sure if that is happening in ny. I have not read the entire bill. It would not surprise me as this is becoming the norm with these new bills.
    As for getting them help. I am sure they would be able to recommend another dr that could.

19. oh okay wow I didn't know that they were starting to put limits on now.
    And true they would prolly right the patient a note and sign it and tell them to bring it to the dr they recommend the patient too or something

20. Cuomo Signs New York's Medical Marijuana Bill 
    July 7, 2014
    USA Today
    ALBANY, N.Y. – As Gov. Andrew Cuomo sat down to ceremonially sign New York's medical-marijuana bill into law, a 10-year-old girl stood by his side.
    Amanda Houser, of Suffern, New York, suffers from Dravet syndrome, a rare form of epilepsy that begins in infancy and causes her to experience multiple seizures a day and adhere to a severely restricted diet.
    With Cuomo's signature Saturday, New York became the 23rd state to legalize marijuana for seriously ill or injured patients. And when he needed someone to introduce him for the ceremonial signing Monday in Manhattan, Cuomo turned to Amanda and her mother, Maryanne Houser.
    "Hi, my name is Amanda," she said, reading from a piece of purple construction paper that matched her sparkly dress. "I want to be a normal girl and I want my seizures to stop. P.S. I want to be off this diet. Right everyone?"
    Cuomo and top state lawmakers gathered at the New York Academy of Medicine on Monday for the bill-signing ceremony, which came two days after he officially signed the medical-marijuana legislation and about two weeks since the Legislature passed it.
    The governor's signature started an 18-month clock for the state Department of Health to have the program up and running, which will allow state-certified doctors to prescribe the drug to patients with cancer, epilepsy and other serious diseases and conditions.
    The state will award five contracts to private marijuana growers, who will each be permitted to open up to four dispensaries to distribute the drug to certified patients. Cuomo said it will take about nine months just to grow the marijuana.
    The new law will only allow the drug in non-smokeable forms, including pills, oils and vapors. It was the subject of lengthy, closed-door negotiations between Cuomo and top lawmakers at the end of the state's annual legislative session last month.
    "There is no doubt that medical marijuana can help people," Cuomo said Monday. "It's been proven in other states. There's a whole history of information and data and research just on that topic, and we are there to help people."
    In wrangling support for the bill -- which has been debated in Albany for more than a decade -- advocates had highlighted the plight of children with rare and severe forms of epilepsy, such as Amanda Houser.
    Maryanne Houser said she had been considering moving to another state if New York didn't act to legalize medical marijuana. An oil derived from cannabis, known as "Charlotte's Web," has shown promise in treating children with epilepsy.
    "Her condition dictates where we can go and what we can do. It makes us feel powerless because we never know when the next seizure might strike or how bad it might be," Houser said. "Medical marijuana offers us the chance to beat that, and we were prepared to move out of New York state if we needed to in order to get Amanda this treatment."
    Both the state Assembly and Senate passed the medical-marijuana bill in June in one of their last acts before leaving the state Capitol for the year.
    The Senate approved the bill 49-10 after a lengthy, emotional debate, in which several Republicans raised concerns about whether the state can handle regulation of the program, questioning whether it was more prudent to wait for the federal Food and Drug Administration to act.
    Cuomo himself had also raised numerous concerns throughout the negotiating process, which in part led to the state not allowing patients to smoke marijuana. The bill also includes a clause that would allow Cuomo to end the medical-marijuana program at any time if he deems it's being abused.
    When Cuomo sat down to sign several ceremonial copies of the bill, Amanda stood nervously over his right shoulder. A few bills in, he turned to the Rockland girl, who grabbed onto the end of the pen and helped him sign a copy.
    When he was done, Amanda sheepishly held her hands to her cheeks. Cuomo handed her the pen he used for her to keep.
    "And to Amanda, who is clearly a superstar," Cuomo said in his remarks. "We were chatting before in the back room and she had it all coordinated. She had that beautiful dress on and the paper that coordinates with the dress. I'm going to pick that up and learn that from you."
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/07/cuomo-signs-medical-marijuana-bill/12323967/