True North And Free Guerilla Growers Unite

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by GOLDENBOY, Jun 17, 2014.

1. You guys all have me stressing now! It will be 3 weeks since I've visited my garden on Saturday when I finally will be able to see my plants again. All this talk of budrot has me a little worried now! Is there anyone here who hasn't found budrot yet this season? Lol

Peace & Love
    PyspherE

2. i had one tiny bud rot out due to a little bud worm inside it. Just plucked it and tossed it. My issue has been PM but that's gone now

3. I hope with all the hacking i did it will stop

4. If your weather forecast is like mine the next 4 days look pretty nice so hopefully that will help with bud rot issues!

5. I think im gonna call it in on 3 of them for sure. Maybe all. I just had 3 nice days and its still outrageous. Weak plants

6. Fed my girls some tea this evening

Attached Files:

7. Well, it's not the warm sunny forecasted but I'll take windy & dry atm too. Took your advice Goldenboy, did some clipping last night... Hubby came home @ supper & instantly knew id been clipping😄 So with the clippings,is it ok to separate away the rot, & compost it? Do you bother drying out anything salvageable or toss/compost it all? For now I've salvaged & put them aside to dry. Figured worse case, I'll just compost them after I checkd on here☺️

Gave them a night in front of a fan, dried em right out, today is super windy so that should help dry things too. Just posing this as a question, but this rot only started to occur after I left them out all night, we get enough dark now it's DAMN close to 12/12, so past 3/4days they stayed out all night, just wondering if this change somehow brought on the rot? They were use to a bit longer dark... 11/13 & much drier warmer conditions@ night when I was moving them. Thoughts?

8. I normally will salvage anything i can. As for leaving them out over night its a good possibility that could have a hand in it. My problem is the morning due, i expect thats your problem too. If you can take them in at night youll probably have less chance of bud rot.

9. Recognizing Bud Rot, also known as Botrytis Cinerea or Grey Mould). One way of catching the presence of bud rot in good time is to keep a close eye on the leaf that grows out of the bud. When this takes on a strange colouration (see photos below) and is effortlessly pulled free from the bud with a gentle tug, then you can be 99% certain that there's rot inside that bud.

SPREAD OF BUD ROT

The causes of bud rot include dead leaves falling with the arrival of autumn, spiders webs, the larvae and cocoons of insects... they all rot in your plant. The most usual cause and a very common fungal disease in cannabis is pythium. This mould leads to root rot and rotting of the lowest section of the stem. It usually attacks young plants and clones. Bigger, healthier plants are much less susceptible to pythium. In serious infestations of pythium the plant get ‘toppling disease'. We don't have to spell out what that means.

Pythium can be recognized by the way the bark turns brown at the base of the stem. In the beginning the brown scale can easily be removed, later the rotting process goes even deeper in to the base of the plant.

Pythium is a mould, which thrives best in wet and moist environments. The spores of pythium are only spread via water. There are two types of spore formed: swarm spores and rest spores. The swarm spores germinate best at a temperature of around 15 degrees C., while the rest spores start growing in the warmth, so at about 28 degrees C.

To prevent infestation by pythium a constant soil temperature is desirable. Large temperature fluctuations should be avoided. You also need a good level of humidity (so not too high an RV).

Leaf moulds, mildew and filament fungi are less common than pythium. Mildew can cause bud rot among other symptoms. Other causes of bud rot include the leaves that fall in autumn, spiders' webs, and the larvae and cocoons of insects.

PREVENTING BUD ROT

Prevention is difficult in a western European climate because this mould prefers low temperatures and high air moisture content – something that in this part of the world is pretty unavoidable. Try to keep the plants as dry as possible. It's an idea for example to shake the morning dew off your plants each day, and to place them in direct sunlight and in a spot where the wind creates sufficient ventilation. The most optimal situation is to bring your plants indoors each night so that they avoid the worst cold and dampness. Placing the plants a little above the ground will also keep the soil temperature a bit more stable and means their resistance falls less dramatically, leaving them more able to fight off diseases.

Another solution for next year is to darken the plants early to that they flower before the autumn raises its damp head. The buds will also be able to make use of the power of the sun during the summer months and will probably be a better quality as a result.

It is also worth preventative spraying with Bayer's Teldor during the growth period, twice (or 1 x Teldor and 1 x Finesse to avoid resistance), and again once the bloom begins. During flowering, only spray on the stems. Teldor binds with the waxy leaf layer and so does not easily wash off.

COMBATING BUD ROT

The only thing you can do against it during flowering is to trim off the infected branches and sterilise your scissors in between each removal. You're dealing with a fungus and fungi release spores that can very easily infect other parts of your plant. It's worth trying to cover the infected leafage with a plastic bag before you cut it off, to reduce the spread of spores.

Work precisely and very hygienically therefore, and continuously check your plants for new infections. As soon as any bud rot occurs in your plant it is usually a lost battle, so in a real emergency the best thing is to just harvest your ladies good and early and by doing so hope to salvage some of the harvest.

In the event that mould affects the stems and branches it can be kept reasonably under control by smearing the affected area with old-fashioned ‘green soap', a well-known thick paste cleaner bought in a pot, applied with a small brush. The basic (alkaline) environment will stop the mould, the spot will turn black and deterioration will stop. Just don't rub it into the buds! I've used it for years in cases of infection and it makes sure that the branch or stem remains a while longer and that spore release does not take place.

Another option is to remove as much as possible of the affected areas and then scrub lightly with a 3-10% solution of hydrogen peroxide. The stems and trunks can also be smeared with a mix of Teldor, bleach and Dettol (don't spill on the roots!).    

HARVESTING AND SMOKING BUD ROT?

Smoking weed with bud rot or other moulds is not recommended! The best chance you have of salvaging anything is to use water curing (see note on the subject).  

10. Sounds from your reading, it was pythium. I'll be making the move each night again, last thing I want is to lose it at this stage😟 thanks Again!

11. I feel all y'all's pain ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1411069471.079883.jpg

12. yep, 2nd bud I've removed. I've got strains that look about 4 weeks from being done too. Hopefully just those couple buds had worms in them or something and it won't be a garden wide infection.

13. That was my hopes. Once it starts its every where. Did you read my post about it

14. yea, good info by the way. Some of my plants are still so immature the buds would be dogshit. I'm planning on chopping a few this weekend so I can be assured I make back everything I put in.

15. Dont make the mistake i made. Every time you cut the rot off clean your gear with alcohol.

16. i just used my hand and ripped it off. Probably spread spores everywhere.

17. Lol.. you'll know in 3 days. Its not funny. Im pissed.

18. I'm actually pretty optimistic about it. No biggie. Days are warning up more than last week. Had a little sun. Should be legit

19. My one girl showing her fall colors.

Attached Files: