Stillmatic 700W Led Dwc Auto Grow (Dark Devil Red Devil Using Topledgrowlight)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by John Frum, Jun 16, 2014.

1. #1 John Frum, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
    So my setup consists of:
    Light: 700w Topled mars II
    Pump: hydrofarm 70LPM air pump with 8 4inch cylindrical air stones
    Reservoirs: 5 gallon paint buckets with 6inch net pot lids
    Ventilation: Hyperfan 8inch with speed controller
    Nutrients: GH flora micro, GH flora bloom, GH koolbloom, botanicare aquashield, GH rapidstart, GH CaliMaGic. Ended up slightly modifying the lucas formula with GH KB.

The strain is Dark Devil  by Sweet Seeds (attitude seed bank). It is some purple autoflower crossed with big bud XL.

2. Update:
    The light got here today and it's awesome. Also got some pH calibration fluid and storage solution.
    IMG_20140616_205728.jpg IMG_20140616_205720.jpg IMG_20140616_205712.jpg

3. Nice light "still"!!..

the Chivon

4. I have decided I am going to do four autos at a time in here. I am wondering, does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of ventilation to use? I don't think I will need the heavy duty vortex style duct fan since I am not using hot HID lighting but so many people advise against axial flow fans that I am not sure what to do. I also am stuck between making an ONA bucket or just buying a carbon filter since I definitely need odor control.

5. #5 GoldGrower, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
    I would definitely go with a carbon filter, but I guess it depends on how clean you need the air to be. 

I only use systemair fans, they are the bollocks. Dead quiet and move loads of air. As its an LED I suspect you could get away with just a 4" version. 

Whether or not you would benefit from a ro filter depends on what EC your current tap water is.
    And the chiller may or may not be worth it depending on how hot it gets in your area. For me my temps only get above 25 degrees for a couple of months of the year. This means my res temps barely hit 20 degrees. When this happens I chuck in frozen water bottles twice a day  this keeps the res around 17 degrees. For the other 10 months of the year I don't even check res temps

6. #6 John Frum, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
    It hasn't been below 25 degrees for at least 2 weeks here which is why i figure a chiller is necessary for the summer at least. Systemair huh, thanks for the tip I will definitely be looking at them.

edit: Systemair looks pretty nice I think I will get the K 150. All my testing stuff should come in the mail tomorrow, still waiting on seeds though...

It might have just been the one I got but I had a 50w axial and I found it quite noisy. In my 3.5x3.5x6.5 tent I find a 4" inline fan or equivilent to do the job. I run an advanced led 350 xml and still use it with a carbon filter.

8. Seeds came from attitude seed bank today. Really happy about that, now just waiting on ventilation before I can get started lol.

9. #9 John Frum, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
    It's been a while since I posted an update because of all the setbacks I encountered. No worries though, I have everything setup in my tent now. I got three dark devil red devil seeds that have been germinating since noon 7/5/14 and have a broken through as of this morning. I am going to wait a bit longer till they're a little more grown and then throw em in the buckets.

Here's a pic of the taproot, i decided to just put them in buckets now because I am impatient!!!
    IMG_20140706_110606_hdr.jpg

10. #10 John Frum, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
    Pic of the whole setup in action right now. I ended up getting a hyperfan 8", shit is mad loud but it has a speed controller built in and I think the motor was designed with Electronic Speed Control in mind.

IMG_20140706_112148_hdr.jpg

In case you're wondering what the fuck those pill things are doing on the light, the hyperfan generates so much suction that the tent front was being pulled into the light around the vents of it so I taped those there as bumpers/spacers to keep things from getting too close. It looks pretty ghetto but it works likes a real treat.

11. Looks the tits man 

12. Alright update post 7/8/14: low temp: 82f high 86f (still working on getting ducting for ventilation so its not very effective right now)

I talked to a friend of mine who planted the same seeds a day before me and he was telling me I planted the seeds too deep in the hydrocorn because his has already broken soil so I did some searching for em and it turns out he was right they couldn't break through with how deep they were so I dug em out a bit and here are the results!

IMG_20140708_220548.jpg

IMG_20140708_220129.jpg

IMG_20140708_220438.jpg

13. #13 John Frum, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
    DAY 1
    Digging them out certainly helped. I was scared, I must admit, but like Goldblum said, "Life finds a way"
    IMG_20140709_071046.jpg
    IMG_20140709_071038.jpg
    IMG_20140709_071032.jpg

14. Subbed up. Got a good start so far 😃

Kevieboy420

15. Thanks Kevie, I am going to use the lucas formula after all but I plan on waiting until day 14 to start.

16. I just use general hydroponics flora duo 2 part nutes. They work great no Lucas formula needed 😁. Do you have any bennies? Cal/mag,aquasheild,koolbloom or other bloom boosters?

Kevieboy420
    Perfect about the feeding after 14 days

Kevieboy420

17. #17 John Frum, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
    Right now, no. I have been wary of adding any sort of life besides the plants to the buckets. I have heard of cal/mag and will probably end up needing it. I haven't heard of any of the other boosters, are they worthwhile? I was trying to keep my list of nutrients short so I can easily identify what's causing problems, should any arise.

18. Cal/mg can be used at day 7 if needed. Aquasheild is good for roots it's good at curing and preventing root rot. Use at day 14 with nutes. I use ghs koolbloom as my bloom booster. It works good in my opinion. I'm trying to stick with gh products as I really like them.

That's why I just use the flora duo aquasheild,cal/mg,and the koolbloom as a combo it covers everything problem wise. Ohhh I also use ghs rapid start it's very good at stimulation of root growth and can be used from day 1 at small dose. I highly recommend it.

Kevieboy420

19. Thanks for the advice Kev! I think I will get cal/mag and aquashield for sure I gotta check out the other ones. I already bought 2 qts of each GH flora bloom and GH flora micro for lucas so I will have to stick to that but the boosters will definitely be neat to use

20. Oh koolbloom only use during flowering lol. I forgot that part

Kevieboy420