Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anxiety Disorder Caused By Marijuana

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Kobazz, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Hello,
    I am looking for help and answer.I have 18 years now and i smoke since 14.Started to use marijuana for my anxiety and depression.Everything was great but one day I smoked some weed and had very severe panic attack.The big problem is that i am now scared of marijuana smell and even thinking about it.Some members of my family also have same problems so i knew that i need to look out for some trigger situations.Soon my grandpa dies from cancer and then i realised that weed would help him and started to research it.In 2010 i had eardrum surgery,i was alone in hospital for 11 days and that realy messed me.Since then I started to use cannabis to overcome my fears and problems.Now i take antidepressants and benzos.I am realy fu**ed up and looking for solution.As i said i am scared of marijuana smell and bigger problem is that all my friends smoke it everyday.Freaking out,alone,high on benzos searching for freedom.Now,can anyone tell me how to overcome that fear of smell so i can enjoy my life again???

PS.Sorry for the bad grammar,i am from Serbia and i am just 18.

2. I would recommend asking your doctor about SSRIs (Selective Seretonin Reuptake Inhibitors).

They are used for depression and anxiety.

3. I used to have anxiety after once tripping too hard on weed then when I smoked I would be scared and have another attack. Then I realized if I'm not scared i don't have attacks. Now I smoke knowing if I don't get scared I won't have an attack and I enjoy an stopped being scared.

4. i am on ssri for 2 years,they can help but i think they cant cure!!
    One member sent me messasge and told me something about my problems so i will talk with him.
    thank you anyways and if you have some advice-bring it on

5. #5 organicpandemic, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
    ive suffered from anxiety and other things from a young age (never had a decent diagnosis and been put on many different things, entirely without a thought by the doctor of the vastly negative impacts or the fact i didn't actually match most of their "criteria", just a problem child) and SSRIs have only ever made me worse in the long run. the initial happiness can be useful for changing mindsets and thought patterns but that is it. the side effects are MUCH worse then any long term positive impact and in most cases placebos will be just as if not more useful.

chemicals in our daily life will be having more of an effect on  you then smoking marijuana. gut bacteria make something like 95% of our serotonin and such when ingesting large amounts of pesticides/herbicides/fluoride/complex glutens/manufactured foods etc which damage our beneficial bacteria, stuff can start to go pretty hay wire. why do you think such issues like food intolerances, mental health, low IQ etc are starting to become much more prevalent then they were in the past? 

mediation and trying to identify where these thoughts are coming from will be far more usefull for you. as will healthy organic diet, exercise, sun exposure and generally being in nature (without shoes on).

edit: forgot to mention that different strains and growing chemicals will also affect you. i would try some organic sativa, i have found certain indicas/hybrids/chemicals all have an influence on anxiety levels while smoking.

6. Don't smoke weed. Try eating it.

7. Stop taking those pharma drugs. Pot is not your enemy, doctors with their pockets lined by Bayer are.

8. weed wont cure your depression or anxiety.. its kind of like a benzo or an ssri without all of the pills, and addiction... gotta kick that horse in the teeth with you mind its all in your head... i am bi-polar 1 with psychotic ft. stopped the pills back when i was 20 never looked back. just got my head right and avoided alot of fucked up people i used to hang with...

9. Hi, I too suffer with panic and anxiety, in short and for years I wondered why some smoke intensified my anxiety and why some had the total opposite effect that would alleviate my angst and relax my entire body along with my mind..?  I was puzzled until I started studying the medicinal benefits of marijuana and becoming a patient who uses marijuana on a daily basis. Thus, what I found for me and for others who have experienced the same negative experience using certain strains of marijuana is that there are basically two types of plants, Sativa and Indica which produce significantly different effects on the body and without going into a full page lament I found that the Indica Strains have more of a sedative effect as opposed to the Sativa's of which produce more of a "head high" and can in some people increase panic and anxiety..! Hence, "The Paranoia Effect" that has been the brunt of many jokes when it comes to marijuana is no joke when someone attempts to use it to calm down and has the opposite effects, can certainly be traumatic enough to make someone stray away from the use of marijuana or stop all together.  I found for me that most Indica types of plants or Hybrids that are a mix of Indica and Sativa with Indica as the dominant strain work wonders for me in quelling my panic, anxieties and alleviating low back pain that I suffer with as well.  I hope this helps you in the future if you are able to determine in advance of using marijuana as to which type of strain it is..?  Be Well and Blessings to You..!

What? I have always thought it to be the other way round with indica strains being useful for the sedation effect thus relaxing an anxious person?

11. #11 organicpandemic, Jun 17, 2014

my brain runs at a million thoughts a minute. sativa helps me focus ALOT, indica (although most of the hydro here is pumped with god knows what) will make me lie around, doing fuck all, eating/drinking shit rather then pulling myself out of that funk and actually doing something productive.

12. #12 Anything surprise me, Jun 17, 2014

Anxiety is different to depression which is what you seem to be talking about, a sativa could set off paranoia in someone with anxiety issues

indica is the one for anxiety

sativa for depression

13. #13 Deleted member 424398, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    You used it for anxiety and depression

Its now simply intensifying your pre existing anxiety because uou dwell on it.
    weed did not cause your anxiety disorder, you and your environment did.

My first experience with marijuana was at age 16, and it was absolutely terrifying. I didn't know what I was doing, smoked WAY too much, wasn't in a comfortable setting, or with people I knew very well at all. I'll never forget that day as long as I live. Having said that, I continued to experiment with weed throughout the remainder of my adolecence, and by the time I reached my early 20's I was a casual weekend smoker, and had mastered the dreaded panic attacks brought on by weed. I learned that Marijuana is something that could be enjoyed in moderation, whereas before I'd just suck down as much as I could off of a joint or bowl and lose my mind for five or six hours.

I stopped smoking at age 25, for all of the typical reasons that people stop: Social stigma, the need to "grow up", etc. I was (and still am) running a successful business, and didn't want my little "secret" interfering, though it never did.  I went nine long years without weed, and in that time I actually developed a severe anxiety disorder, insomnia, and finally migraine headaches with auras that became so frequent and so severe that they were starting to basically ruin my life. My medication list started to pile up (Wellbutrin, Xanax, sleeping pills, etc) to the point that I was basically a slave to the pharmacutical industry. Though I never abused the medication, I was on so much of it that taking it all was like having a second job. I went through a bitter divorce at age 30 and had to basically start from scratch because the ex-wife pretty much cleaned me out, which only added to the stress and misery of my adult life. I recovered...On the surface at least, but inside I was an absolute mess.

One day about two years ago, I decided to smoke a bowl with a friend of mine. It's funny, because I really hadn't thought about weed at all during my nine year abstinence. I really enjoyed myself that day, bought a bag for myself, a bowl, and started smoking two or three times a week. Now, I smoke almost nightly. I haven't had a migraine aura (those or scarier than the worst weed freakout for those of you who know what they are) in two years. I'm off of every other medication except the Xanax, which I'm tapering off of  (nasty, NASTY shit) and almost done with (down to 0.5 mg / daily). I sleep like a baby every night, have very few worries, very little stress, and feel happier and healthier than I've ever felt in my adult life. Marijuana has literally saved my life.

So I'm familiar with both sides of Marijuana: The anxiety producing side and the anxiety easing side. The only advice I can give is to watch your intake, don't try to impress anyone with how much you can smoke, etc. Be in touch with your body, and let it work for you. It's not for everyone, and if you're still having problems when you're practicing moderation then it probably isn't for you....But it's totally for me, that's for sure....Though that first joint I smoked 21 years ago had me telling myself "never again!" all day long. Haha, funny how things change.

15. #15 organicpandemic, Jun 17, 2014

not depression. only saying it how it affects me. everyone is different. but wallowing in self pity was probably an over statement.

16. Don't take Ssri you won't be able to trip and confront your problems and find a solution to bettering yourself. Don't take that shit. Just cause a doc gives it to you doesn't mean it's safe

17. It was the wrong strain of weed. Street weed isnt like medical. It's called medical for its perticular qualities. Find better weed!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. Medical marijuana is consumed in various ways like smoking, drinking and eating. Some physicists crush the weed and use it like ointment. You must consult your doctor while consuming it. Controversial however, the medical benefits of marijuana can not be ignored by simply blaming the drug of causing addiction.

19. try to get off benzos asap.

as everyone said, the anxiety is not caused by mj, it is a set of conditions and your environment and your mindset. 
    yes, mj can bring out underlying anxiety to the surface with certain strains... but it does not cause anything.

and with other strains, in moderation, it can be extremely beneficial. no less beneficial than some ssri's for anxiety, with a lot less side effects. 

20. overconsumption can cause bad anxiety problems, especially if you don't use the herb very often. as far as the prescription pills go, thats between you and your physician.

if you have been on these medications for a long period of time, do not just cut it out of your life entirely, you have to gradually reduce your intake. think of those medications and marijuana as a crutch for your anxiety/depression. something deep inside of you isn't entirely right or hasn't been resolved. the only way to beat this is to resolve these issues and overcome them. 

those prescriptions numb you to the world and whats going on in your life. where marijuana allows you to experience things on a deeper level and work towards resolving the issues. it all comes down to what works for you as a person. best of luck!

PM me anytime

how is it possible for you to determine the quality of OP buds without a description or a picture...
    where do you think a lot of medical growers got started...