Thinking Of Trying Vegan For A While.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by bluntfists, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Sup everyone,

So like the title says I am thinking of going vegan. the way I figure it is I already can hardly afford to buy meat of any kind, and I already mostly cook with vegetarian/vegan type of stuff. so lots of vegetables, beans and legumes.  Also I really do not like dairy. In fact I only like cheese on my pizza or cream in my coffee and I can do with out either VERY easily.
        I don't have any religious reasons and it's not that I think any lesser of people who eat a lot of meat.  God knows id eat a whole chicken given the chance. The thing is I have really bad eating habits right now. I think if I could dedicate my self to a vegan diet it would help ALOT.

What you all think? any vegan/vegetarians out there? I should also mention I am a chef and I know a lot about nutrition. Protein is not going to be a problem by any means. when I do eat right its all beans, nuts, Legumes, whole grains and Quinoa. plus all the fruits and vegys of course.  

2. <tinfoil hat>
    uh..do you realize the damage that cows and pigs are doing to the ozone every time they fart???
    It is your DUTY to eat them as fast as possible to reduce global warming, think of the children!
    </tinfoil hat>

besides..
    you know you want this...
    [​IMG] :ey:

3. I ate the spare ribs of a pig I raised tonight. They were delicious. Can't wait to taste the bacon.

4. #4 Delightfully High, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
  5. I was expecting someone to post a picture of bacon :confused_2:  Steak is good though.

6. I'm a vegetarian and often think of going vegan. So long as you watch your iron levels, you're golden and will be perfectly healthy

7. Op. I don't understand not being able to afford meat.

Where I live its like 1-2$ a lb for chicken ~ (1000) calories.

So like, even with red meat, if I ate 2000 calories a day just meat, that's around 5$ a day in food.

As a vegan, your gonna eat lots of grains and legumes. So yea, a oil cheaper, but cmon.

Cost isn't really a reason to go vegan. Chicken and eggs are really cheap

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Eat for health... Eat a ton of raw fruits and veggies, stay away from processed food, eat fresh. A constant delivery of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, nutrients, fiber.

Vegetarians can eat lots of bread and other relatively defunct foods and not be very healthy themselves.

Protein and fats are super important to your hormones, the structure of your body and cells, plus countless other processes. Salmon, chicken, eggs and beef when healthy and free range can be omega 3 rich. As are walnuts and flax seeds. The omega 6 foods especially seed oils are over consumed and lead to Americas inflammatory related health problems. Over consumption of grains breads and pastas etc.

The best choice is a ton of raw foods with quality protein and fats(walnuts, flax, avocados or meat) in moderation. Ditch refined sugars, artificial flavors and colors, etc so most processed foods and drinks. Vegan can be great but it's easy to create deficiencies just like with the typical American diet. It's mostly regarding the healthy fats and oils but if you do your home work you'll find the right vegan foods to provide them. But it may not save you money, don't starve yourself.

9. #10 123burnthattree, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2014
    What are some good vegetarian recipes? I need to learn to cook a little bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. do it and dont look back! also growing your own food is easy as and like printing money! even just some Brassicas like spinach, kale and broccoli. all easy to grow and very high in protein. as get rid of all processed/GMO/chemical laden foods while you are at it and you will feel awesome! 
    animal proteins are bigger and much harder to digest then veg proteins anyway ;)

11. This T.T and bacon always bacon
    I have a problem and I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. [​IMG] why not have BOTH...

13. Remember OP that things like twinkies have beef fat in them so avoid shit food

I think the whole world should go vegan because we have so many sources for protein beside meat.. i eat meat almost daily but still think it's fucked up.

14. #16 bluntfists, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
    yeah man almost everything that has been processed contains some kind of animal.

it's been a while since I posted but yeah still thinking I want to try a vegan lifestyle for a while. Its so crazy how people react when you talk about going with out X type of food. for me it has never been a problem. I could go with out dairy very easily and no matter how much I like meat I could do with out it just as easy.
    here is a little list of reason I think a vegetarian or vegan life style would be beneficial.
    - meat costs, Ok I know a lot of people are like meat isn't that expensive just eat chicken or what ever. I like chicken but to me its expensive to spend $2-3 on one or 2 meals just for chicken. I don't eat process foods or at least I don't buy them lol. so any of that ground turkey, lunchmeat, sausage, or ground beef is already out.
    -Health, This one people can argue all day long but I do believe that meat is supposed to be eaten in moderation. 
    -Hormones and additives. anyone who knows about chemical food already knows this. I can cut a bunch of food dye's, hormones and chemical additives from my diet JUST from not eating meats. of course I could always buy local organic meat stuffs but that shit is WAY expensive.
    -Morals- so this is the one I don't think a lot of people would understand. basicly what I am thinking is why do I need to take the life of another creature to keep my self feed when I could live off the earth just as easy. of course I would eat the shit out of a cow if my life depended on it. but I can go to the store... pick up some beans.... and nothing has to die right? Has anyone seen those slaughter house video's? to me that goes well beyond morals or just "killing" something. in those its like Nazi meets butcher and creates some crazy ass abuse and eat kind of mentality. like we have to take everything away from an animal before we can consume it and its all because its cheaper.

15. I'd like to add, you should start buying almond milk, preferably Vanilla almond milk. It's usually non gmo/organic and has more vitamins than milk, and tastes fuckin amazing.

16. I love coconut milk. and with that chocolate almond milk I will sit and drink the entire carton lol.

17. I agree. I just can't give up meat. Its like a tasty tasty drug

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. A big tri tip is always the bomb, can never give that up.