Is Islam That Bad Of A Religion?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by ErdayToker, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Everyone still interested in this topic should watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8c38_46W5c

2. Just read the books. The Torah, the Bible, then the Quran. That is the order of relevance oldest to newest.

ENJOY

3. All religions are bad (no offense).

Anyway, Islam is bad in many ways, but I think your parents and post-9/11 media has exaggerated how bad it actually is.
    They do treat women as second-class citizens and their laws are extreme, but that's only under sharia law.
    Muslims in western society (in my experience) are pretty much the same as other religious people.

Islam is not the reason for terrorism. Fundamentalists are. They twist the teachings to reinforce hatred and violence.

As for Palestine and Israel, I say we just blow everyone up and repopulate it with reasonable and rational people lol, but I'm an asshole so what do I know.

4. Sharia law seems fair to me.

5. You are confusing religion and culture, Muslims do not treat women as second class citizens, people of specific cultural back grounds choose to treat women this way.

Some laws you speak may sound extreme, but check the crime figures for theft and rape....they are nearly non existent. I do not agree with sharia law at all, but I think you are very close minded to dismiss everything as the media would have you do.

In many ways Islam is the reason for terrorism, we as humans decided to interpret texts in different ways, it happens now that Islam seems to have been mis interpreted by many, the current global situation attests to that.

Our egocentric ways ensure that we hold fast our belief in our own "true" religion whichever one we may practice, how naive and arrogant we are to believe that we can make that judgement.

6. Yes! i mean ummmmmm no... 
    Depends on how you look at it, the religion is kinda fucked up. But mostly due to how extreme many of the people follow it. 
    Idk I guess the religion itself isnt bad, however these people believing in sharia law or however you spell it can screw off haha
    All religions are fine and all of them are bad. Depends on if you enforce it on others

7. #207 Rastafari5, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015

So you would consider urself a muslim?
    (And cannabis is considered haraam in islam) (haraam = sin)

8. just ask Charlie  :hide:

[​IMG]

9. #209 esseff, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015

and a 'good shabbas' to you too.

10. #210 Account_Banned283, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    I wouldn't say it's that bad of a Religion.. presuming your against Freedom in general, Gay rights, Women's rights, Enlightenment, Anything good.

EDIT; Music too!

11. Theocracies, regardless of the type of religion, are bad because they suppress civil liberties.

I have no problem with any religious individual who respects the rights and civil liberties of everyone else.

12. #212 Julius Caesar, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2015
    If Islam remained in people hearts, homes, and mosque then there would be no issue here. Obviously it is the political aspect of islam that concerns us here. Unfortunately, the religion is constructed so as to influence every aspect of life.

88% of muslims believe a person should be killed for leaving the religion - aka "apostasy." This is common belief in the religion. Take a look at the poll results and you will be shocked.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/01/64-percent-of-muslims-in-egypt-and-pakistan-support-the-death-penalty-for-leaving-islam/

Again, keep Islam in your hearts, homes, and mosque and out of my life. If I draw a silly cartoon, you have the right to protest me, mock me, etc - but you don't get to kill me just because your Qur'an commands you to do so. I don't understand why this is controversial.

13. It is more than controversial.. Sadly the world is on fire..

In Arab countries they are burning French, Israeli, and American flags as well churches in those countries where the protests occur there have been more deaths, more damage, more destruction. In the name of Allah, over this Muhammad who married 6 year old girlsZzz

Let's leave in the Middle Ages what belongs there

I view all religion as a heritage thing and not a ground to condem anyone especially not harm them

Are we not past this

14. Clearly not.

In a way, it seems like the religion thing that enrages more than anything is still being used by those who know how to manipulate the volatile minds of the people for their own agenda, especially in certain areas, where it takes very little to enflame.

On the whole, most people really do want to live in peace, work and earn a fair wage, and enjoy their lives, free to raise their kids, etc. They're not looking to spend their time hating and committing acts of violence. But it doesn't take much to stir up the hearts of some, and with the US and its allies' foreign policy as it is, we don't help one bit.

As long as they continue to feel oppressed by us, to lose their homes, their families, in what for them seems totally unjustified, things will only get worse. It becomes impossible to see the big picture, where all the tit-for-tat has been forgotten in the pain of whatever is happening now. Vengeance comes easy to those who feel they have been wronged. They're brought up to think they have been.

15. Actually I have read the Qu'ran. And it is a sexist religion. In fact, I am baffled at how women can even involve themselves in a religion which says it's okay to abuse/rape your wife if you suspect she's cheated on you. It's been said there are nutters who claim to believe in Islam, but the person who created religion, period... including Islam had to be pretty nutters. Religion is bad period. I have been with two muslims, and fortunately I got away from the first person before he started hitting me. The second one, I ignored my spidey senses and stayed and he ended up beating me and raping me. He said he raped me because he "felt" that I was cheating on him, even though he and I were together everyday.

16. There's even a bit where it says a woman's testimony in court is only worth half of a man's. That's pretty blatant sexism. Society should be past these sort of things by now, but religion is not.

17.   I don't know much about Islam, but it always depends on the extent of worship. You have devouts, and people who are fairly relaxed in their beliefs. Devouts/Puritanicals are crazy, uneducated individuals who believe in everything in their scripture, and often hold violent ideologies, such as putting gays to death, or killing infidels, etc.
      The thing with western religion is that we cherry pick our beliefs. The christian bible (Old Testament) states that gays should be stoned to death, yet that is clearly unacceptable in western society, so it is ignored. However, when you travel to other countries, predominately Muslim countries are ripe with devout's that hold extremist ideologies.
      The common way of thinking is that it is not the fault of religion, but the fault of the individual. This is flawed. Religion, especially in Muslim countries, has a profound impact on culture. When children are raised they absorb the teachings of their culture/society, and therefore religion has a profound impact on the development of that child. When that child is being raised in a culture with devout/extremist ideologies that child will grow up to accept every word of the scripture as truth. That is dangerous considering the incentives to commit acts of violence and slavery that are detailed in the Qur'an.
      My point is that any religion that has such a cultural impact carries negative implications. So if the Qur'an is being practiced word for word, than yes, Islam can be considered bad, but so can any other religion. All religion has the capacity to be harmful when it overrides the logical thinking processes of a developing individual.
      Those terrorists aren't psychopaths, they are normal people like you and I, who were raised in an environment of extremist ideology. While some people born elsewhere, such as the west, may also develop extremist ideologies without being raised in such an environment, holy scriptures are so open ended that they can be interpreted in various ways.

18. #218 Julius Caesar, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  19. I don't think any religion is of "bad" religion. It is the people in that religion, it is the way those specific people "interpret" that religion. I mean I've met a lot of shitty christians/catholics but I've also met some real kind and genuine christians/catholics. This is coming from an agnostic/atheist. I've grown up around religion my entire life, and I've encountered people of many other religions to. It is all loosely based on the people within that specific realm and how they choose to go about it..

You don't think a girl born into a muslim family doesn't feel IMMENSE social pressure to conform to wearing the scarf?