Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Explanation To My 7 And 8 Year Olds...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by alever, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So my kids found my meds a few times. It not legal here. Any suggestions on how I explain to them what it is? Thanks in advance. They are at the point that they are digging for an explanation.

2. #2 SupaaBaked, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  3. Tell them its your medicine and for god's sake HIDE IT if you dont want your kids finding it. Lock it in the car trunk or get a house safe. Good luck.

4. Thanks guys! I do keep it well hidden but I left it out a few times and forgot it was out. I guess just a side effect from the meds!

5. get your head in the game, and take responsibility for your meds when you have kids around, then you wont have to worry about having to explain to them until they are at an age where they can understand.

6. When i was little my mom told me dad smoked marijuana to help his back and tumor... I was fine with it.

7. yea just say you use it for medicinal purposes, say please dont tell other children as it family matter.

8. Just a quick word of warning: kids at that age will basically repeat whatever you say to all of their friends and anyone else who will listen. Keep your explanation as short and sweet as possible. Just say it's medicine to help with headaches or something like that. Say it as nonchalantly as possible because if you don't make it a big deal, it won't be a big deal to them. If you freak out and give them a "DON'T TELL ANYONE!!!" clause, they'll do precisely that. 

:smoke: 

I'm not a parent myself but this is my perspective. I both agree and disagree with your suggestion. On one hand yes, if it is illegal then you want to keep it away from your children. On the other hand, hiding it and locking it up is a little excessive. You can raise your child to let them know that it is a drug that helps you and hide it….. curiosity comes into play, kids are always curious. Or you could let them understand what it is, more important WHY you use it, let them know it's around the house, but not something they should be interested in. 
    After all, You want what you can't have, right.
    With that said, they are still young, this theory would have been more directed to a "teen" audience, your kids are still young. Talking to them is the best thing. If they think it is medicine, then it is medicine. 

10. Ok your idea is better. Thanks.

11. Hi a medicated mom here,

My 10 year old daughter found my stash. I keep it next to my bed and I used it as a teaching moment. I told her that because she snooped into my things, I don't have to explain what it was. I spoke to her about privacy for her stuff as well as mine.

Now what I plan to tell her when she is older, there is a book called It is only a Plant. That will be my step two. But yes living in a non medical state adds to the worry of disclosure.

12. If their school does that D.A.R.E. shit (which they most likely will) expect a visit from the cops and a social worker because your kids will realize what you're doing, and tell another adult. Just tell them it was nothing to worry about and hide your meds in a high up place where their little wandering hands can't reach.

13. I encountered this about 13 years ago. My daughters were 8 and 10. And we lived in a small town where they attended the local school. It was indeed prime DARE country. We kept it away from them. Never smoked when they were in the area. Always smoked in the garage. Tried to keep the smell away. Thought we were doing a good job of it. Until they started their mandatory DARE training. The immediately recognized the smell when it was presented to them. In stroke of luck, or maybe because we'd always had an open line of communication with them, they didn't say anything. But that night, they sat their Mother and I down and flat out asked if we smoked pot.

The wife (now ex) went off on them and told them to mind their own business. I approached from the other side. Told them that I wasn't going to lie to them. And I told them that we did. But I also assured them that they were in no danger because of it. I asked them if they like the house we lived in. I asked them if they ever felt like they were denied something so we could have our pot. I asked them if they ever thought we acted out of control. They were answering ok to all, but it wasn't until I asked them what they thought of our friends. I didn't single anybody out, but asked if they thought they were good people. They adored our friends and vice versa. That seemed to win them over. Then I came at them with the unjust law thing. It was a bit much for their young minds to comprehend, but I did remind them that if they told anybody, they could be taken away from us. I asked them if they wanted that. No was unanimous. I asked them if they thought we were doing ok raising them. Yes was unanimous. I promised that we'd be more careful about keeping it away from them if they'd promise to keep it our little secret. Pinky swears sealed the deal. And that was the end of that. 

Fast forward to 2 months ago, I've now smoked with my eldest daughter. She's not a regular smoker, but it was a pretty cool experience for us both, I think anyway. The youngest said she tried it and it wasn't her thing.

That's how it worked for me. Your results may vary.
    But you can use Colorado as an example of how it's not that bad. I didn't have that luxury back in the day.

Good luck.

NOW GO HIDE YOUR SHIT GOOD AND LOCK IT UP!

(Sorry. Just had to say it. :poke: )

14. That's a tough one. We tell the little one we are going for a smoke break. We smoke cigs too so it works out well for us. Even if he sees my finishing up a joint he only assumes it's a cigarette which he knows are bad news and he stays away. He's never found my stash because it gets put in a Tupperware container kept inside a backpack. Basically keep your stuff hidden and you'll be able to get away with it for a few more years.

And I'd never threaten my kids that they'd get taken away if they tell anyone. That's kind of fucked up scaring them over something that's entirely your fault. They shouldn't suffer for something you partake in, even if it is the truth. Sometimes white lies are needed. Just my .02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. I would see no reason to lie at all to your kids, that will just foster mistrust. If they found a beer in your fridge, you wouldn't freak out. If they found a bottle of advil in your medicine cabinet, you wouldn't freak out either. Tell them the god's honest truth. It's cannabis, and it's medicine. 

16. Hide your pot better man. And if it's recreational, consider taking a break. 

17. #17 Old School Smoker, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
    Fortunatly for me, I was never caught smoking when my son was young. I actually caught him huffing an un mentionable when he was 17 and thats when I stuck a joint in his mouth and him and I had a serious man to man about peer pressure and drug abuse. He hasn't done any drugs (maybe alcohol) in over a year. He is 23 and he is serving in the U.S, army today :)

18. #18 cannabisdayzzzd, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    Its not threatening. How could you let them to make a decision that they don't know the outcome to. That is something they don't realize when they nark
    Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. Well jeez it's a good thing you explained it properly, not your wife freaking out and ruining everything for the family. That is a pretty perfect way of explaining it. Just have to explain it to them well enough to crack through the barrier in their minds that have been created by the system making them think anything illegal is pure evil. Once people crack that barrier of ignorance in their head then it's not a big deal at all. At least as kids they haven't been fed this information for decades yet so now they'll have the knowledge of what it is, why it's illegal, and why people don't care if it's illegal. That's good parenting.

20. kid: whats that?
    me: marijuana
    kid: whats marijuana
    me: a plant that acts as a medicine. gives examples of other plant medicines, as well as advice about not to take any, tell others, copying the action til age appropriate. also answering all questions.

quite frankly, i dont really care if they know. i wouldnt treat it any different than taking a blood pressure pill. im hesitant to believe a young childs word would be enough to secure a warrant in the worst case scenario. CPS could be a concern i suppose, but things would be hidden too well and im not sure theyd even have a problem with responsible use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.