First Time Dwc Grow In Gorilla Tent. Chem Dog.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by WiiseeBudz2, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Hey what's up im new here first time posting, and I know this is gunna be a long one but that's just to get everything out of the way.

First Dwc grow ,2nd overall grow

LIGHTS
    1 400w hps cool ruble
    1 150w hps
    1 75w cfl

MEDICINE
    Chem Dog, 4 clones from dispensary.

NUTES
    Advanced hydroponics perfect ph grow and bloom a and b
    B 52
    Voodoo juice
    Synsizyme
    Over drive
    Big bud
    Bud candy
    Final phase
    ( I still adjust ph of water even tho nutes say u don't need to.)

FANS
    400 cfm fan
    Honeywell tower fan
    Amcor 14000 btu portable air conditioner

AIR PUMPS
    2 60 gallon pumps
    1 30 gallon pump
    1 180 gallon pump
    Black tubing

RES
    1 Rubbermaid 54 gallon tote
    2 10 inch met pots
    Purified water
    Foam home insulation
    Tin weather xtream tape
    Zip ties
    Zip tie holders
    6 air stones
    2x 4" PVC plugs
    2 large smart water bottles (frozen)

And a gorilla grow tent here are the pics so far, I will show the first setup I had and then the new one I just did today.. Have had these plants 6 days total now.

Tent
    image.jpg

First setup
    image.jpg

Plants didn't look great when I got them
    image.jpg

They had little yellowish spots on them and a couple leaves died off
    image.jpg

NEW SETUP
    Hooking up new res air lines
    image.jpg

image.jpg

Beautiful air bubbles haha
    image.jpg

My "CHILLER" lol
    4" PVC cap, I cut a hole so the threaded part of a smart water bottle could easily fit
    Then Screwed the cap on the top to hold it
    Just lift the lid and unscrew cap to change out bottle
    I Chose smart water bottles because there long.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

And here's my Baby's 4 xChem Dog

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Temps right now during the day 82-89 with light on
    Temps at night with lights on 79-84
    Temps lights off 79-84
    Humidity 32-52 fluctuates a lot actually
    I Don't have water temp yet but water is literally frosty cold.
    If I were stranded on a desert and this were pure water and all I had.
    I would not need ice to drink it . Lol needless to say I'll go get a water temp monitor soonish. :)
    Sorry for such a long post but now hopefully you have a better understand of where I am at
    Any helpful experienced advice is always welcome
    Thannnxx and happy chiefing to all ;b

2. image.jpg

Here's my 54 gal. Self insulated tote. Haha :b

3. I have a chem dog plant growing in soil at home myself. Subscribed and along for the ride

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Do these plants look healthy ?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

5. Other than the few spots on the leaves they look good. How old are they? Mine got about the same height as yours now it's getting bushier as I found a good level to keep the light. I topped mine also

6. Yeah they came with the spots from the dispensary so I'm also not sure their exact age.. I've had them exactly one week now tho.
    Spots haven't spread and the burn marks are from water when top feeding by accident.

Anyone know how long about till. Roots break thru the net pots?
    And good methods and times to top..?
    Thanx a lot to anyone who can help !

7. I topped it after the 3rd set of leaves. It didn't seem to stunt it's growth or anything. If you wanted to top yours you could now. You might want to think about tying them up if you can also. The stems look a little thin

8. Okay I woke up today and it appears my tote is starting to rip/crack under the lid
    In the front.. Here's the best pics I can get .. Dosent seem to be to bad
    But the tote is bending/flexing outwards and when I take off the lid it really bends out ..
    Do u think once the roots come out of net pots and I can lower water level that it will put less stress on the tub ?
    Sorry just make me worry seeing all my work not be perfect

image.jpg
    image.jpg

9. Little brown ring around.water line of res.. Aslo on water bottles...
    Not sure what it is but adding h202 when I get home from work .
    Anyone know the recommended dosage ?

10. That container is fucked man. You could come home one day with dead plants and a very wet floor. I would buy a container that can handle the weight of water.

If you have RUB boxes in your country it's worth buying one of those. I have the 70 litre and 145 litre versions and they are very strong. Or you could build a wooden frame around one like yours out of 2x2s at a push

H2o2 dosage depends on the % of the bottle you have. It's 10ml per 1 litre of water for 1% h2o2. It will need dosing every 4 days 

10ml per 1 litre for 1%
    10ml per 6 litres for 6%
    10ml per 10 litres for 10% 
    10ml per 35 litres for 35% 
    and so on 

11. Thank you so much !
    I spent 8 hours making this tub tho and can't afford right this second to get another one ... I'm thinking ethier stick another tub around that one .. But I have insulation around it so I don't think it will fit..
    Or build a square wood support from the ground up to bottom or res lid? Someone please help ASAP. I worked so hard on this res I just hope there's someway I can still make this one work atlest for this grow.
    Added h202 this morning before work as we'll . I think the brown ring is from the tub flexing and little amount of light getting in under lid? :((
    I can fix the light entering issue just worried about res ripping or breaking.. Hasn't gotten much worse but it's only will needing to take off lid everyday.

12. #13 GoldGrower, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
    Light getting in would only cause algae, anything brown will either be rot, or just discolouration from the nutes. The wooden support sounds worth doing.

How did you manage to spend 8 hours just cutting a few holes in the lid?

13. #14 WiiseeBudz2, Jun 14, 2014
    I have one spot area that had the brown lining.. It was where the least amount of air bubbles were ,almost none.. I have two more airstones to run there when I clean the res.
    And there was light coming in from water bottle holders and around net pots.
    Covered that with foil tape and just put wash cloths over bottle caps .

l also reinforced the res and it's better than ever!

image.jpg

Gunna get some really cold air blowing in there with my next project and gonna try to see if I can keep the temps at 70-75 all the time instead of 75-83. As we'll as drop the res temp as it sits now at 68.3-70.7 but I haven't Ben switching the frozen water as much as I could...

14. How long till roots show out of net pots ? Plants are showing growth but no roots .. Day 9

15. Usually you should be seeing at least an inch of growth on each root per day, is the net pot submerged? 

I was looking at your air lines where you have them pinned down in the tubs. It looks like you may be bending them at an angle that is a bit too sharp, it looks like you are kinking them. Also, for next time it's better to run the air lines through the lid. That way you won't need to put any holes in the tub itself.

Another thing worth noting is if the pump ever failed you could get the water shooting back up the pipe enough to start a siphoning effect. This would short out the pump and empty your res on the floor. Its worth suspending your pump above the water level so this can't happen. Suspending it with a bungee also quietens the pump down a lot 

16. Water level bubbles right at bottom on netpot right now .. I just can't see the roots so un sure how much there growing ..
    And the airlines were tight but ,when the res was half full it was more than enough bubbles I think and I still am gunna add 2 more stones. And will be much less water soon hopefully.

I will get the pumps suspended tonight as we'll thank you very much !

IT IS WHAT IT IS !
    Learn&Grow

17. #18 WiiseeBudz2, Jun 14, 2014
    I also top feed with the res water with 2 pints per pot about 2-4 times a day depending ....

What does everyone think??

IT IS WHAT IT IS !
    Learn&Grow

18. #19 GoldGrower, Jun 14, 2014
    If your clay balls are drying out that could be the reason for the roots not coming through. I would have the pot a couple of inches under the water at least. I brim my reservoirs, but I don't use rockwool or anything like that, just clay balls. If the waterline is right at the top the roots won't dry out and they will carry on growing

There is no need to pin the airlines to the side and bottom, you would be better off setting them free to release the kinks so more air can pass through them. The gum on those sticky pads will eventually degrade as its under water anyway

Why are you planning to have much less water? 

19. Hung air pumps above res last night.
    Also ran 2 more airstones..my pump had 2 more open fittings.

My water while I was gone yesterday got as hot as 93.1 once I got home from work... I was gone for 12 hours.. And it took 30 min after that to get them down to 67.3
    So hopefully if I get the water cooled down good once.. It will be easier to maintain and I'm usually not gone for 12 hours at a time.

Also added a home made ac. I just wanted to see results as cheap as possible first and...

Ac made out of ice chest filled with ice, a fan blowing air in side the ice filled chest and back out a PVC elbow.. It dropped my tent temp 2 degrees within 10 min and the humidity has gone up to 60.
    I took it out when I went to bed just in case that was gunna cause to much humidity and will leave in there all day while at work today and report with results..
    Humidity remained at 60 all night without the ghetto ac ;b

Will report back this afternoon here's some pics for now

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402834367.119316.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1402834429.021256.jpg

IT IS WHAT IT IS !
    Learn&Grow