First Time Grow (:

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by ibescroads420, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Well as you see in the picture my small girl is going under supercropping on 4 branches. I hope it still works!

Sent from my C6616 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #22 sprkn1, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
    get on an IPM, search the forums for BrassnWoods IPM routine. IPM (Integrated Pest Management) will be a great preventative routine to keep bugs off. since your outside, you can't avoid the bugs, your just minimizing the damage and the type of damage you take from the type of insects. mites and caterpillars are what you want to watch out for. caterpillars are probably the worst since they come from the sky (butterflies and moths). mites almost have to be introduced into a healthy garden (unless it was an infested garden to begin with) and with proper IPM they shouldn't be much of an issue keeping them at bay.

technically your both correct, i've seen the term supercrpping interchanged with monster cropping and a bunch of other silly names. plain and simple its a way to train your plants. super cropping is bending the branches, almost to a point of breaking them, while LST is simply tying them down, yes they bend but its tied down, super cropping when down right doesnt need to be tied down. in LST you aren't breaking or damaging any branches hence the need to tie em down. 

i've safely super cropped a plant about 2 weeks into flower. its recovered just fine and is doing well. since its your first time tho, i would stick with LST cause you can easily break a branch off, and you don't want to do that while in flower cause your cutting your yields down by a significant amount.

- stick to LST since we're approaching 12/12 outdoors to lessen risk of damage to your ladies. 

- get on an IPM regiment, spinosad and BT will be and should be your best friend. you aint going to like having your ladies looking all beautiful 3 or 4 weeks into flower only to find all your buds are covered in poop from caterpillars or spider mites. a decent amount of growers lose their entire harvest outdoors due to infestations, you've been forewarned.

- nutes, start off at 1/4 strength and go up from there. stay with organic OMRI listed ferts. chemical fertilizers contain a lot of salt, and this salt build up eventually ruins your soil. going organic means you can reuse and recycle your soil after each grow, you just re amend it to add the nutrients and minerals that the plants need after each grow. look up super soil and water only soil recipes on here, they have a ridiculous amount of info. learn the basics and the info provided and tailor your soil to what you have available locally. i wish i spent the time to make a water only soil, but since i was kind of on a time hack and didn't have a month to let the soil cook, i went with premixed soil. i paid the price for that by having to be vigilant on my feeding and nutrient supplements after the soil was depleted, rather quickly i'd like to add by the heavier feeding strains i got. 

btw your soil looks dry pretty dry, when you lift your pots do they seem light or heavy to you? your girls looked droopy in on the the pictures, meaning they needed water since your soil was dry, i assume it wasn't due to over watering.

gluck bro, i'm subbed if you got any more questions i can try and share some knowledge.

3. I agree with what sparkin said. There's a few things I want to add tho. Like he said, giving it any stress  while coming right up to flowering is not necessarily the safest idea. It may or may not work for your advantage.

I was reading somewhere on LSTing plants that it's not that helpful for outdoor plants if you're getting plenty of light. The sun rises and sets and while doing so it is shining on the sides of the plant, not down over the top. I decided to leave mine like a christmas tree and not disturb at all. Now obviously some strains are bushier than others but either way I would let mine grow how it wants since it is in its natural habitat. It is better for indoor since the light is constantly shining straight down. This is just my theory though. There are other reasons to argue for LSTing. It definitely doesn't hurt to try

However I do believe supercropping will make a good difference. I do not have the knowledge to go into clear detail on why but it is easy to search for and read up on. I wouldn't advise doing any more at this time of year though

It's important to remember that many strains react differently. A lot of trial and error

As far as the salts building up in the soil from chemical ferts, that is true. But you can give it a good flush with plenty of plain water after a period of time. If you start using them now, I would probably do one flush midway through flowering, then one more flush a week or two before harvesting following with just plain water without nutes.

4. Thank you for your imput guys, very interesting here

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Thank you everyone my questions have been answered for now gave my girls 1/4 strength fertilzer today so hopefully they start growing bigger! Hoping for atleast 3 fosters..

6. Could I ask what nutrients you are using? I have been looking at different brands and I just feel so lost as to where to begin lol.

My plants will begin to start flowering soon and I haven't used nutrients at all yet either (just been using fox farm ocean Forrest).

7. I've been told to always use organic fertilizer fox farms has been used many times and has shown good results for a lot of growers. Miracle grow has been told to be not a good fertilzer for marijuana but my friend used MG for fertilzer and his plants still grew 6 feet! Do some research on Npk ratings and you should be just fine :)

8. Y'all are missing the concept of fertilizers. Miracle grow is bad to use simply because they're synthetically based fertilizers, i.e. Petroleum based by products. This usually means the chemical waste that's left from some sort of industrial process, hence the cheap cost. These sorts of fertilizers degrade the soil over time and eventually to the point where it can't sustain any sort of growth. Yes you can flush your soil to get rid of the salts, but your flushing and killing a lot of the beneficial microbes, bacteria and fungi that live in the soil and have a symbiotic relationship with your plants. It's honestly too much to get into detail and you'd have to do the research yourself on solid degradation due to synthetic fertilizers, health risks and statistics, organic gardening and the benefits of using organic soil. Even going into organic pest control and management. There's a lot to read and learn. I have a wealth of info in the links in my sig, the click the one that says knowledge and check out the video and audio I have posted as well as all the PDF Ebooks there. Ton of info is out there bro.

•• Chicago Original ••
    -CA Prop215 & SB420 compliant-

SparknOne's NorthCounty SD OD Organic Grow

SparkNOne's Tactically Required Knowledge

9. Another update, sun is shining another hot day! Day 2 after supercropping my one plant the bends are alittle discoloured but the heads are all reaching for the sun so must of did it right! My little plant is going farther into flower getting some bud forming now. My last plant is still more yellow then the others but growing good. Have the branches all tied down for sun getting to them better!

Attached Files:

10. This is my first time trying to grow marijuana it's been a fun experience but this very very low budget grow has gave me experience for my next years grow.

11. #33 sprkn1, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    I feel you on that one, I acquire when the funds allow. With that being said, if you have a Home Depot near your area, you can pick up some organic nutes for somewhat cheap. I can recommend some top dressing which will help amend your soil and make t better in the long run. Don't throw away your soil. The best thing about it is you can recycle (reamend) and reuse. They also have some bottled nutes you can get for like 20 bucks will cover what you need. Two of the products are OMRI listed. And one isn't but it's still at least derived from sea emulsions. You got options, and if it's a semi guerrilla, you'll want to look into water only organic soils. It'll save you time, hassle and money.

•• Chicago Original ••

Like I said use the links and read, good luck and have fun on your first grow. Your doing the right thing and asking questions, do some reading also it'll help you understand the basics more, so it gets easier and easier as you get the hang of things.

12. Thank you sprkn1 I will go check out home depot and by top dressing do you mean like sorta covering the top of the soil with fertilzer? My plants had never seen fertilzer till yesterday! Crazy I know. I will check out those links lots of thanks. My other girls will be going into flowering pretty soon here pretty excited!

13. I also confused if low stress training is very helpful Outdoors.. If the sun moves along in the sky over the day my plants are getting sun everywhere right? Tying down was designed for indoor when the lights couldn't be moved right?

14. That is what I mentioned earlier from what I have read. Other people claim they think it has helped, strictly speaking outdoors. There is not a straight answer. I don't really see how it is helping other than possibly allowing more light to hit the lower leaves. I would also speculate it makes a bigger difference for indicas, being bushier, rather than sativas. You can try it out and see how it works for you. Hopefully gain some learning experience

15. I've definitely leaned a bunch my plant that I've been tying down definitely growths a lot different than plants I have left alone. The plant that I have tied down has a lot longer stronger branches from the bottom and the higher the shorter and smaller the branches get.. The plant has been almost sideways it's whole life only having branches on one side.

16. Yes lst and other sorts of training is
    still beneficial even when outdoors. The whole point of training is to maximize the potential your garden has. When you are growing outdoors, unless your growing huge trees where your not worried about maximizing yields anymore then fine you don't have to worry much about training. Top a plant a few times and let her get bushy and she'll produce for you because she can use the entire ground. She isn't being restricted by a container and other factors. There's a lot of things that go into it. And if you look at growers who do outdoors. They do train, they do tie down. They do use trellis or scrogs or tomato cages. It's all a matter of preference and what your goal is.

•• Chicago Original ••

17. Thanks for the advice my plants are on the small side like way small I'm just trying to increase what ever yield I do get heck if I get a Oz from it all I would be happy for the first time. My expectations have changed dramatically from when I started!

18. Sorry for the dbl post, but that's the reason why I suggest you do the reading and get the basics. Then you can decide what route you want to go, and if you have detailed questions regarding those topics, then you can ask again. You get what I'm saying?

And yes top dressing is exactly what you said. It's a way to help feed your plants as well as to add nutrients back into the soil for the long run. You can actually even pick up high N and night P K guano and use that as a top dressing. Be careful not to let it get close to the stem, make an imaginary border of about 3" diameter. They also have Alaska fish fertilizer. The high N and kelp meal fertilizer they have is OMRI listed. You can start with those two, and get some bone meal for the p and k. You can also pick up a bag of chicken guano for like 5 or 6 bucks or a bag called Eco scraps. I'll get the links in a second and post em up so you get an idea of what you can use just from HD. Like you said it's your first grow. It'll be nice and cheap, and a good start while you continue to learn and expand on your skills. It's a dope hobby to have and one that's very rewarding. You got to put in work tho in order to reap it's benefits.

•• Chicago Original ••