Scotts Humus And Manure

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Ohaithere, Jun 6, 2014.

1. I know the general opinion is that Monsanto is the root of all evil, but how terrible is their Humus&Manure? Could this be used for an organic soil, with proper amendments?  I was thinking 1 part Scott's, 1 part perlite, 1 part Peat, plus amendments.  Thoughts?

2. If there's one thing you shouldn't be skimping on, it's your humus. 

• Like Like x 1
  3. I totally understand that, but aside from actually making my own, I'm kind of limited due to my location.  Just figured there was a small chance that maybe Scott's made decent compost :\\

4. #4 Anatman, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    I just go-ahead and assume that everything under the Monsanto umbrella will have some type of nasty chemical, or GMO in it; even down to the grass on which the animals graze to make their Manure.

Also, I avoid buying their products because they stand for everything I'm against, and I DO NOT support them; buying a company's product is the best way to show them your support. (That's supposed to be the power of the market w/ capitalism).

Even if a Monsanto company offered certified organic products, you will still never, ever, ever, ever, ever find me buying it.

Edit: Never, ever.

5. ... Even if a Monsanto company offered certified organic products, you will still never, ever, ever, ever, ever find me buying it.

ME TOO!!!!

6. #6 waktoo, Jun 6, 2014
    Just for the sake of clarity, Monsanto DOES NOT OWN Scott's.  Their association comes from the fact that Scott's bought the trade mark and exclusive advertising rights to Monsanto's "RoundUp" when the patent expired in 2000.  Poison, just the same...

The term "organic" has been coopted by the agricultural industry, and means just about diddly squat these days...

Their "Humus & Manure" contains "composted manure" and "pelletized poultry litter".  Being that it's not listed as "organic" in the ingredients list, these manures do not come from animals that were raised "organically".  So they're essentially materials that were produced from animals grown in large scale agricultural facilities that were fed who knows what kinds of GMO foods sprayed with glyphosate, as well as growth hormones and antibiotics. 

Sound "organic" to you?  :confused_2:

I wouldn't use that crap...

Are you really unable to source quality compost/EWC where you live?  Have you tried looking on Craig's list?  Are you in OJAI, CA?  There must be oodles of organic farms around you.  No nurseries in your area carry or have access to EWC?

Look HARDER...

7. Looked on Craigslist, looked in the local newspaper, asked at the 2 nurseries near me, and nothin'. Guess I'll keep trying, or maybe just start my own compost pile

8. What are your location limitations? Maybe shopping online is a more viable option. Unless your limitations include shipping.

9. See if there are any city or independently funded composting projects in your area that sell their compost. I get my EWC from a composting project run by a local ecology center, they are kicking all kinds of ass. $12 gets me a 5gal bucket full.

10. #10 waktoo, Jun 6, 2014

Damn.  I thought for sure that there would be SOMETHING available in your area...

Order on line.  You will pay extra for shipping, but quality humic material is the most important part of your soil mix, and should NEVER be skimped on.  The added expense WILL pay off in the long run.  Accept no substitutes!!!!!

I would always encourage those that have the space and wherewithal to build their own compost piles, as well as EWC bins.  But these things take time, and would be better served to produce materials for your next grow.  Or the next, even...

11. Ok, my confusion was w/ the 3 Miracle Gro, Scotts and Monsanto.

Scott's owns Miracle-Gro.

Miracle Gro and Monsanto are easily confused in my head. (Both demonized).

Scott's has exclusive rights to distribute Roundup (at least on the consumer level).

So all that lead to my confusion, but that's all semantics. The point being, if your purpose is organic gardening, stay away from anything by them.

As far as alternatives....I believe that will be better answered by somebody else. Getting started on your own compost is key, but what to use to hold you over until you can start using that is left up to many variables.

12. Are there no farms where you live? Ask a farmer to go out behind the barn and mine for gold at the bottom part of his oldest manure pile - You'll be glad you did. Craigslist is also another invaluable resource.

Unless you're in Tazmania. I don't think there's a Craigslist in Tazmania. But there are farmers. Take a ride in the country wherever you live and stop at a few farms. Bring your own shovel and a couple of pails.

You know, you "could" use the Scott's bagged product, but remember man - you get what you pay for and your garden will reflect it. While the few bucks probably aren't even a big deal, 4 months of your time probably is.

Quality compost is available at every corner of the earth.

J

13. Surprised there hasn't been a "Weather Underground" type organization going after Monsanto.

Wet

14. #14 waktoo, Jun 6, 2014

The masses have been pacified...  :mad:

But I feel that the intelligent mind has realized that trying to FIGHT these corporations and their teams of high paid lawyers is a lost cause.  Legislatively or subversively.  "Weather Underground" tactics will only serve to incarcerate good citizens of this country under the guise of "domestic terrorism". 

WE are doing what is necessary to dispel and dismiss the lies and business practices that are part and parcel to industrialized/GMO food production.  Home grown cannabis.  Home grown fruits and vegetables.  One realization will beget the next, hopefully developing minds that will enact small (or large!) scale localized organic food production in their own areas.

Our greatest strength lies in having the knowledge and ability to produce our own foods/consumables, coupled by the passing of such knowledge down to those that are learning, and wishing to do the same...

15. image.jpg
    Even in Tasmania jerry...

16. Seems like bias to me. Any unbiased thoughts on or growing friends question

17. I guess I may have pissed off a bunch of total organic people. Sorry! I hate those big poisonous companies too, but I usually just read the label and look for anything out of wack. Now I see that I should be looking deeper into those assholes.( No pun there) Good luck with your grow Oaithere. Take it easy7