R/o Filter Question

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by morange, Jun 5, 2014.

1. I thought I already posted this topic...but I looked back in my profile and couldn't find it.

Anyhow, I have a question regarding a reverse osmosis filter I bought. I got this http://htgsupply.com/Product-1-PURE-100-Reverse-Osmosis--Deionizer-Water-Filtration-System filter a while ago, and it works really well, however I don't have strong enough water pressure where I live to use it at a reasonable rate. I currently have about 35~ psi on the gauge when it's running, and I would like to get it between 90-120 psi.

My question is, I need an expansion tank correct? I was told by the plumber when I asked about it that I would need an expansion tank to boost the pressure. I just would like to know if http://www.amazon.com/Amtrol-102-1-30-Extrol-Expansion/dp/B000LDI9F4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1401730402&sr=8-5&keywords=expansion+tank
    That right there would do the job.

Basically my issue is I just need more pressure to use my R/O filter, because it takes a few hours to get 5 gallons right now. Anybody that knows anything about this kind of stuff I would appreciate some insight. Thanks!

2. #2 Vee, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
    Welcome to the really fucked up world of Plumbing and Drainage, no other facet of construction charges like Saul the lawyer, or any lawyer like a plumber can!!!! that said always get three professional opinions, a friend was once in the same situation as you, eventually got all he needed at an RV/Marine store, and saved a bundle.. 

ps great to see you around morange

3. Thanks for the tip I'll check out some local places like that around here see what they have to say, I can't wait to finally get this thing installed properly though, never have to buy water again!

4. #4 NGP, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
    hey morange did you ever get your r/o system installed?

I'm running a 5-stage with a 3 gallon res under my sink, and it provides me with enough water to grow as well as use it for things around the house, even cooking. My pressure is around 115psi from the tap. I bought mine as a complete kit and it was around $175 shipped I believe. Made in the USA. If you didn't get yours working out yet, I can give you the info on what I'm using if you're interested. I've recommended r/o systems to several people since I put mine in, I think they are great!

I never buy bottled water anymore, the system has already paid for itself in that regard. :smoke: