Diy Projects: For The Crafty Person In You

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by methatfemme, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Hello, I really really enjoy DIY projects and  have undertaken several on more than one occasion. It truly brings me peace and excitement to sit around breaking things and putting them back together, or building something from scratch, or making something out of random items I have laying around or in my recyclables. 

I figure I will start a thread for the DIY'er out there. I hope there isn't another thread just like this one....I would thoroughly appreciate any new ideas, crafts, projects, works of art, or just random posts of things you have made or refurbished. I like to learn from others and I hope to gain inspiration from your posts!

To begin:

Here is a project that I worked on about a month ago. I bought this coffee table at thrift store for 70 bucks. It is super heavy, solid wood, and from the 70's ;) vintage, ya! 

It had a wicked 70's brown stain going on. The same color that you would see on those station wagons; not attractive. I really wish I would have taken a "before" picture of it!!

The Process:

View attachment 1468619
    I immediately took it in the garage and removed all the hardware for the door. I sanded the whole thing down (pain in my butt) and painted this bad boy in Valspar "Fired Earth" paint; 6011-1 is the number on their website.

I didn't use a primer; I did 4 coats of paint and sanded in between coats. I sealed it with Minwax Polyurethane in satin; it is water based so it will not yellow with time. I did three coats and sanded in between coats as well; I use sand paper that is specifically for between coats.

View attachment 1468620
    For the hardware I used a silver spray paint that I got from Wal-Mart. I don't have the brand or exact color on hand. it is in the garage and I don't feel like getting up.

Here is the final product
    View attachment 1468621
    View attachment 1468622

Final Note:

A recipe for you-- Non-Toxic All Purpose Cleaner

In a plastic spray bottle (Target) mix:

1 cup water
    1 cup white vinegar
    12 drops of tea tree essential oil
    6-8 drops of Lemon essential oil

2. Am a builder so I do all my own work around my house :) am forever starting jobs hahaha Sumtimes I think leroy it's the weekend chill the fuck out :-/

Fish , chips , cup of fuckin tea , Mary fuckin poppins

3. I just now saw this! Haven't been on in a while and if I did it was for 30 seconds:) what would you like to see?? I have to put up that wow crate coffee table I made! School has taken up most of my free time:(

4. Nice! Do you have a thread with some of your work? If not you should post it up and swap ideas! I enjoy seeing other people's creative mind come to life:)

5. #5 Bubbashine, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
    It's all good netty I seen the table it's really nice!

6. Just started a project in my living room anybody intrested ??
    Will post if u r 😉

7. I love diy projects. Half the time I spend on the internet I'm looking up new ideas. My most recent project was a tv stand that I was going to use for my apartment. I ended up moving in with my cousin and she already has furniture, so sadly it's in storage at the moment, but it ended up pretty awesome.

I started out with a tv stand I found on a facebook garage sale page for $15. It was made for a tube type, so I took a saw and chopped it down so I can put a flatscreen on top. Then I lightly sanded the whole thing (not real wood, so can't sand too much) and primed and painted it. I replaced the handles with some old brass handles I spray painted silver.

I can't wait till I can actually use this thing with my 52" tv sitting on top :)

Attached Files:

8. I need to update this thread with my creations. I'll do t this weekend:) feel free to post yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Nice!!!! Great job dude, came out awesome. I hope you do get to use it soon:) if you have any other ideas or creations feel free to post!!! I enjoy seeing what others have made and I like taking ideas and applying them to my own refurbishing projects. I'm here to give any advice as well:)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Ok av bought a log burner which is gna need a whole new chimney building so I thought I would completely redo my living room
    Progress so far 😕 ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417759496.696457.jpg

That is before I started

11. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417759592.595785.jpg started studding my ceiling ready for plaster boards am gna do split level ceiling with white and blue led downlighting

12. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417759709.168614.jpg

13. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417759774.804154.jpg using concrete solid blocks as the base for my log burner and 2 x 4 inch prestressed lintels for the log burner to sit on

14. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417759889.067794.jpg block work and lintels in place now am studding the rest and using fire rated plasterboards upto the ceiling

15. All my ceiling is in place and the electrician has finished my lights 👍 ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417760020.017574.jpg now the ceiling needs skimming and painting

16. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417760190.406689.jpg my new chimney breast will be cladded with these tiles

17. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417760263.200624.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417760280.190087.jpg my ceiling got skimmed yesterday by my mate . He's dun a well good job 👍

18. My ceiling is drying nicely not to fast ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1417761283.741508.jpg

19. cheers mate 👍